Aircraft Incidents/Near Misses

Martyn K

• 2 years later...
Advert

Twenty years ago I had a near miss flying my Slim Jim at Fradley when a pair of Tornados from Cottesmore came over very low from behind and flew underneath the inverted model that was at the top of a loop. It was reported by the pilot who described the colours of the Slim Jim (blue and yellow)! and was investigated by AAIB. It came to me through the club and I was questioned, although there were no consequences. It was recorded though as a high category near miss. The RAF had no record of model flying (and other) activity in our vicinity and clearly took action because they haven't been back since, as far as I know.

The Typhoon "faut pas" looks as if it happened at Coningsby. The pilot must have been way out of order, I wonder happened to him after that! Flying a C152 out of Coventry in the early nineties I saw a dot in the distance coming in fast at ninety degrees from the right. It got bigger very quickly and turned into a Harrier that passed beneath, maximum a couple of hundred feet away. I said nothing about it (couldn't have done anything anyway) and I bet he didn't say anything either.

We had one on finals coming into San Francisco on a flight from Dallas. A Japan air 747 looked to be landing at the same time as us and deployed his gear at the same time as the 737 we were on. I thought we would touchdown in unison on the second runway and that it would be great to see , the tower obviously had other ideas and he banked away sharply pulling up his gear as he went.

I spoke to the co pilot as we got off and he confirmed it had been an error by pilot of the Jumbo, scary now but at the time not knowing it was wrong I thought it was great coming in neck & neck.

• 1 year later...

From 97 knots to a complete stop in only 265 feet, and a 360 spin !

Was this a stunt, or a accident? Was it a waterloop? If it was a stunt it could have killed the crew, surely no-one does this intentionally.?

Landing at speed, being too fast and having the nose low in the water maybe forced the plane to swap ends, with the mass of the plane is behind the nose and having more drag than the step.

What force made the plane to rotate like this on landing. The rudders were in the left position.

I must say that the Dornier DO24 is strong with its structural integrity tested to the limit.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 28/03/2018 01:36:30

This happened at the Scalaria Air Challenge 2015 air show - the Do was doing a touch and go when it struck something in the water (presumably a semi-submerged log) on it's starboard side.

do.jpg

This caused the a/c to start to swerve to the right, the pilot instinctively slammed in full left rudder, but it worked too well o/a the relatively high water speed and the a/c started a rapid waterloop to the left.

do2.jpg

This resulted in the a/c slightly rising out of the water and then falling back, causing huge stress to the airframe.

do3.jpg

She took on a bit of water, but made it back to land and has been repaired.

do4.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 28/03/2018 02:49:13

I had a very near miss thirty five years ago while flying a microlight, Flying at 50 mph at 500 feet, off to my right I noticed two black dots getting bigger very quickly. Two RAF Hawk's shot past the lead aircraft just in front and slightly below,the wing man went directly beneath me.

To this day I still have this picture in my minds eye of the pilot who was looking forward his hand on the stick and the backseater looking down at his clipboard !

Edited By J D 8 on 28/03/2018 09:18:36

I once watched a Kingair fly right through a thermal near Dunstable not too far above a gaggle of circling gliders. No real danger of collision but from my position slightly above it, I could clearly see both apparently oblivious pilots looking down into the cockpit - possibly trying to work out what "Area of intense gliding activity" meant on the map!

Which reminds me of another incident. I was on the ground and saw a well known display team of WW2 aircraft approaching, which then performed a formation turn, displaying their aircraft beautifully to us - "That's nice of them to give us a little show" we remarked. A few weeks later, I happened to be queuing for a burger next to one of the team members (navigator) at an air display and struck up a conversation, thanking him for his mini-display. "Oh", he said, "I got in big trouble for that - we were transitioning between displays and all of a sudden the boss shouted "The sky's full of (a word that is unacceptable on this forum) gliders, where the hell are you taking us?" Apparently his thumb had been covering the words "Area of intense gliding activity" on his chart.

Edited By Martin Harris on 28/03/2018 13:22:44

Posted by Tony Richardson on 09/03/2017 02:18:37:

That Typhoon looked an awful lot like the Hunter crash at Shoreham..

You're not wrong there Tony! I as at Shoreham on that awful day and the "he's not going to make it..." thought was there on the Typhoon video too.

The London City landing reminds me of a landing I had there a few years back. It was nothing like as violent initially, but was in a strong cross-wind and after touchdown the aircraft (probably a BAe146) swerved several times across most of the width of the runway, with enough tyre squeal to make me wonder if Colin McRae was at the controls...