Where to start as beginner?

voytek k

Hello everyone, I have found this forum after visiting loads of websites, looking for right place to start. I know I should pop in to the local club and look around but simply i have no time for that as I work full time and study part time so there is no time to drive 20 miles to the nearest club.

So the question is what to buy to start and with the budged up t0 £200.

First I need an advice with transmitter(2.4GHz), is this is something good to buy

Turnigy 9X 9Ch or Turnigy 9XR with orange module

or should I look for second hand tx like futaba or spektum

I was looking for some electric gliders like multiplex but it might be to complex for start,I am open for all suggestions ?

Where I can read about rc planes (all these short forms make me confused)

Advert

Welcome to the forum smiley

If you show where you live, maybe there's someone close by who could save you the trip to the "local" field. Maybe they'll be able to recommend a closer model shop or club where you can get personal assistance.

Nowadays there's no reason not to buy a 2.4GHz radio set. Spektrum are by far the most popular radios, partly because there's lots of "bind'n'fly" models which come with a Spektrum receiver in them. The dx6i is probably the most popular Spektrum model, and will be okay for more advanced models than a trainer, including helicopters.

To start out you can't go too far wrong with a Multiplex EasyStar or a HobbyKing Bixler. I believe a powered model will be easier to start out with than a glider.

Apart from this forum (and others similar), you might want to buy a paper copy of RCM&E magazine, so you can browse through the articles and ads at your leisure.

Welcome!

Well the first question is "are you planning to learn on your own?" From the sound of your post it sounds like it.

Assuming so I'd recommend the fllowing;

1. A Specktrum DX6i - with a receiver that will set you back about £90 from Sussex Models. This is a good quality basic 6 channel Tx bundled with an Rx complete. It will see you through all your learning and beyond.

2. A Hobbyking Bixler v1.1 for about £35. A nice safe, easy to fly, model semi powered-glider/trainer type with a pusher prop.

3. A 20A ESC for the Bixler - from HobbyKing about £7

4. Three 1300mAh 3s Lipo batteries (again from HobbyKing) about £7 each = £21

5. A charger for the lipo batteries any BX6 type costs about £30 for a reasonable one.

So that lot would get you in the air for about £180 to £190 with a very flyable setup. One more thing - you should get insurance! Its stupid to fly uninsured. Currently you can get 30days insurance from the BMFA for £5! So two lots of that will do you until the new year when you can take out a "country membership" which includes insurance for about £32 for the year.

BEB

voytec k

Do you have somewhere to fly?

You really need a decent sized area (say equivalent to 2 football pitches side by side?) and preferably not surrounded by high trees or buildings as these cause turbulence effects even in gentle winds that will make the plane harder for a learner to control. You want to learn how to make your do want you want rather having to counter the plane doing unexpected things.

The bigger the field the better as you will be amazed how quickly even something like the slowish Bixler uses up flying space

Finally don't expect to do too much too quickly. Flying a plane when you are standing on the ground requires a degree of eye hand coordination that is by no means natural yet it needs to become a reflex action before "unintentional contact with the ground" becomes a rarity rather than inevitable. wink 2

To add to Simons post....

Look at your flying site and decide what landmarks you are going to use as turning markers

Don't go too far down wind, light models often make heavy weather of flying against the wind

DONT fly unless to wind is calm, the wind gets stronger as you climb and the last thing you want is to be battling against a strong wind

Expect the aircraft to loose height as you go down wind and climb when you turn into the wind

Expect the aircraft to loose height when you turn

Make all control inputs gently, no more gently than that!

Before you take off, plan in your head what you are going to do, flying in a oblong circuit is the ideal

Check all the control surfaces are working in the correct direction carefully

Try and stand with your back to the sun and dont let the model go behind you

When the model is flying towards you the controls become reversed, so the little mantra "Prop the wing up" helps, ie when its flying towards you push the aileron stick under the drooping wing

Always take off into the wind and land the same into the wind

Keep in mind the throttles controls height and speed and elevator the angle of attack

Keep the aircraft fairly close so you dont loose track of which way its going

keep calm and enjoy, its a brilliant and highly adictive hobby......

V K

For your first attempts in r/c flying ...

As a minimum..

Do not fly without insurance. Can you afford not to be insured ???

Read the BMFA publication "Up and Away" . It's the learning-to-fly guide, and is well written.

Put your name and address on the model.

Do get some help, if only to get the model trimmed out. There must be some experienced flier who's near you who can help. The BMFA website has details of lots of clubs.

Why struggle by yourself ?

DH

If you look at the top of this page under "features" there are numerous articles all of which should help. You can find a glossary of RC terms to interpret the acronyms here on Modelflying.

Joining a club will save you much more money and time than it costs you! Just beware the 'club know-it-all ' and ask several people for advice.

Moderators!  Note it is very difficult to find this glossary - it needs prominence on the site  to be of use. 

Edited By kc on 14/11/2014 17:19:50

Edited By kc on 14/11/2014 17:30:49

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 14/11/2014 00:06:41:

Do you have somewhere to fly?

Yes there is a huge car park not far from me, like at least football pitch

and there is a Bradgate park few miles away and I have seen some people there with power gliders.

Thank you Dave for all tips

Btw I live near Coalville, Leicestershire.

Anyway is it safe to buy from Hobbyking from International warehouse (china ) how is it with duty tax? Anybody had to pay it?

Edited By voytek k on 14/11/2014 17:37:57

Electric flight has moved on so quickly that none of the books are up to date with brushless motors & lipo technology. (unless Peter has written a book recently? )

However the books by Peter Miller or David Boddington are worth having for all the other aspects of aeromodelling. I would suggest this secondhand copy of Boddington's book for less than 3 pounds ( it's out of print now) as a good basic book.

If over about 15 pounds order from the HobbyKing  UK warehouse or European warehouse  to avoid  a bill for import duty and VAT and a bill from the Post office too.

Edited By kc on 14/11/2014 17:47:01

Posted by kc on 14/11/2014 17:17:01:

Moderators! Note it is very difficult to find this glossary - it needs prominence on the site to be of use.

Good point, kc - I can only find it by typing 'glossary' in my browser address bar!

I'll bring it to DA's attention and see if we can get a more obvious link to it...thumbs up

Pete

Hi Voytec

I guess I'll have to chime in and agree with one or two of your first replies. I mostly taught myself to fly last year with a Bixler 2. The Bix 3 is the newest version of that and looks to be even better. Hobbyking have them in their UK warehouse at the moment for £101 Ready To Fly. For that you get a HK 2.4ghz 6 channel cheapo system. But you can also get the Almost Ready to Fly version for a ridiculous £54.77 !! They don't sell Spektrum stuff, but you can probably pick up a 6 channel set elsewhere. I recommend you don't go for less than 6 channels and if you can afford it go for more.

There are several Bixler threads on here and a huge one or two on rcgroups . LoL! Thousands of pages of folks chatting about how and what etc!!

You'll need to include at least 3 battery packs and a charger in your spending estimate, so if you can push your initial £200 a bit higher, that would be good.

Posted by voytek k on 14/11/2014 18:51:45:

Is Spektrum dx6i compatible with flight simulators?

Yes fully

If your ordering from Hobbyking, if the item is available from the UK Warehouse go for that, second choice is the EU Warehouse, the Global Warehouse should be your last choice - not because its not reliable, just that it can take some time for the goods to arrive from Hong Kong and you may get an invoice from the courier asking for UK Duty

My tuppence worth;-

Try holding the sticks with thumb and forefinger (waits for howls of derision from thumb only pilots) and treat the sticks as if you are writing, if you're slamming the sticks in the corners of the gimbals you're probably over-controlling.

If the plane is correctly trimmed and it appears to speed up going downwind then let it, don't pull back on the throttle or elevator, you will stall, you need to get used to how much the plane appears to speed up going downwind. It isn't really, as far as airspeed is concerned it stays the same.

Good luck, Shaunie.

As a someone who has recently gone through this learning process if there's one piece of advice I would give another beginner its find a club and join it. I know people are all different and it is possible to teach yourself I would say that without doubt if I had tried I would have spent a lot of money on models before I got to the stage I am today.

If you are on a budget then the last thing you want is to break or destroy your model in the first few flights. A good trainer at a club is a priceless commodity when first stepping into this hobby. The buddy lead system saved my model a few times in the first few flights.

In my limited experience of the hobby so far, practice is everything, the more you do the better you get. But I think for the fundamentals nothing is better than having someone with experience to help, guide you and install the basic disciplines of model flying.

At most clubs this training etc. is free and could save you money in model repairs etc.

Edited By Darran on 15/11/2014 13:39:59

Here is the list what i am going to buy:

NEW Spektrum DX6i Transmitter and AR610 Receiver £84

Bixler2 artf   £51.19

IMAX B6-AC charger    **LINK** £25.41

Tunigy 2200mAh 3s 25c lipo X3 £23.81

hkesc20a speed controler £5.65

It will be £190, is there anything else I should consider to buy.

By the way I will get aerofly rc 7 ultimate, is it any good and what I need to connect DX6i (are cables comes with transmitter)?

Edited By voytek k on 17/11/2014 09:37:09

Edited By voytek k on 17/11/2014 09:56:19