Which Would You Chose?

I am thinking of treating myself to a new ARTF low winger for Christmas in order to improve my flying and have arrived at three contenders:

1. Black Horse Travel Air.
  2. Ripmax Acro Wot.
  3. Kyosho Calmato Alpha Sports 60.

I realise that there is a considerable difference in price between the three models but which would you choose and why?

Advert

Hi David

I've had the BH Super Air which was very good and a club mate has the latest Travel Air which flies great and costs very little. Simple engine fit and assembly but note the covering is the BH sticky back plastic so not the easiest to repair.

I would go for the Acrowot - very hard to beat all round, I have yet to meet anyone who has a bad word for it. Seems to suit a nice four stroke very well.

Don't know about the Calmato

hello david--I've flown all three and they all are vice free.....predictable re-flying landing etc.....the acro wot(ARTF) would be my first choice.....all it needed was a click of elevator trim..for its maiden flight - it was fitted with an Irvine 53..very nice/combo......the travel air for value would be no 2...and the calmato 3rd.....all nice but, the all rounder is the Wot..

ken Anderson.......ne...1 .....get the Wot dept.

Like Ken I flown all of these at different times. The Travel Air is an excellent model - but its just a little "pedestrian" for me. Good and solid - maybe a tad too "solid"? But as a day-in-day-out "stick it in the back of the car and fly" model its hard to beat.

The Calmato is again an excellent model - very like the Pulse to fly. But really, for me, again a bit too stable, a bit too predictable? A great advanced trainer, low wing trainer or second model etc. But would it keep an experienced flier happy? Maybe - depends what you want to do!

The Acro-Wot, yet again an excellent model. But I think with a wider performance envelop than the other two. Yes it can be a "first low-winger" - but it can also fly absolutely anything you can! John - I'd bet the Acro-Wot against that Yak in an aerobatic performance mate - and I've flown both!

So, which would I pick - the Acro-Wot everytime. For you? Well that depends on exactly what you are looking for. For a steady fly that is fairly aerobatic then go for the Calmato, for a cheap version of the Calmato go for a Travel Air! For an "all-rounder" go for the Acro-Wot.

BEB

Hello David,

Thumbs up for the Acro Wot (Ripmax) . I also have the Pulse which is also an excellent model , however as B.E.B pointed out the Acro Wot is a more versatile model and a one I pick as first choice to take down to the field! (I have an IC and one converted to electric - I tend to favor the latter!)

The boss at my club has a Calmato and it flies quite nicely although it still looks like a generic low winger in flight.

I can recomend the AcroWot with a 70 sc fourstroke. Lands like a low wing trainer, has a wide speed envelope and is very aerobatic with no nasty vices. It also looks quite scale in flight too.

Definately one to learn new stuff and try new tricks with.

Hi David, I'm interested to see the comments on the Acro; mine was a disaster! I wanted a low winger to move on from the basic trainer( a Wot trainer) which had been brilliant for my A cert. I built my Acro Wot and fitted it with a Saito FS 72 but I have to say it was a nightmare to take off and a nightmare to fly, ending up pilining in ( it was almost a relief) I had 3 or 4 flights with it.

I cut my losses and bought a Calamoto fitted with an Irvine 40 something. I flew this regularly; rock solid and very very forgiving. It's dead now, but due to pilot error rather than airframe failure ( throttle back on the downwind turn resulting in stall ) but would thoroughly recommend it.

A friend has a Travel Air which he has justified recovered; its years old and had been used as a basic trainer; good solid performance and great value. Not so keen on the standard covering or colour scheme though.

In retrospect I think that I probably built the instability into the Acro; the c of g was where it was supposed to be, but perhaps I set something incorrectly. I was tempted to try the ARTF version, but I am a bit nervous of it. I have ended up replacing the Calomoto with a Skyways Kestrel which has a nice scale feel about it; I hope it performs as well as its predecessor.

So many of these things are down to personal preferences you have to just chose something that feels right and form your own opinions. I am sure the ARTF Acro would be a totally different kettle of fish to the one that I built.

Good luck

Trevor

I have some experience of flying the kit-built Acro-Wot having restored and flown two. I'm not surprised that you found the model a bit of a handful Trevor, if it was your second model for they are a bit slippery and I've noticed some quite experienced pilots struggle with them on take-off, especially when fitted with with a 91 FS. A WOT 4 would have been a better choice.

What people, including me, fail to appreciate is that the Acro-Wot will fly slowly. I have observed too many modellers whack the throttle open and then struggle to control the model as it roars off at a tangent to the desired track! If those same modellers were simply to advance the throttle slowly so that the model gained flying speed and took off, they would have a much more enjoyable experience.

My main fault when flying Acro-Wots has been not appreciating that they will land slowly without stalling, that and my insistence on fitting steel bolts to the undercarriage so that in the event of my having got it all crossed up, the undercarriage plate rips out and takes most of the nose with it!

Pictures of my two Acro Wots attached. I gave the one with the orange stripes to a mate who has not bothered to repair it and as for the RAF one, that's in the loft.

I'll go and get it out right now! I've got a new tube of epoxy!

Acrowot

RAF Acrowot

Edited By David Davis on 29/11/2014 09:29:57

Ah well there you go!, thanks for the compliment Percy. Mark, I agree with you on the Pc9; I have one as yet un flown. I have put a nice 3 blader on it that really looks the part although I need to fiddle with the balance a bit more.

David, it was certainly quite slippery and perhaps you are right; I may have been ham fisted with the throttle. Mind you the final flight was more of a problem of orientation coming out of a roll; the one manoeuvre that I have trouble with- unexpected turn toward pilot/ slight panic/ hard bank to the right and straight in.

I am sure that the kit built one would be fine; one thing that I have just remembered is that the nylon motor mount was a bit flexible and may have been distorting a little as the power increased.

T

At first I too found the AcroWot quite slippery and struggled to slow it down for landing. With advice from local shop I put a 14x4 (IIRC) funfly prop on it and it was much slower, although I suspect some of the speed issues were down to a new 70 FS still idling quite fast.

Tickover and landing approach is now very slow and slow low passes practicaly float past and after nearly all year playing with scale stuff I feel it needs to speed up a bit so will be re fitting the original prop.