Signal Loss with Spektrum?

ben goodfellow  1

Advert

Because the original post was about losing signal on multiple models across that particular day.

the point is fail safe should kick in we all know that, But the real reason was why did the air craft lose connection from tx to rx so the pilot had no response ie no need for fail safe if thay didn't lose signal

Posted by Steve J on 13/06/2016 17:15:30:
Posted by kc on 13/06/2016 13:20:33:

I understand that as delivered ( default settings) all 2.4 sets have a failsafe that is set at ' hold last position' and that the BMFA rules and CAP658 require this to be changed to ' throttle at idle positon' ( correct me if I am wrong)

Edited By kc on 13/06/2016 13:21:13

Spekkie failsafes are set at bind to either a) channel 1 goes to bind position and the rest hold last good, or, b) all channels go to bind position. The failsafe mode depends on the receiver and, for some receivers, can be set at bind time. It is not possible to not set the failsafe on a Spekkie receiver.

Steve

Thank you Steve

Hi Gary, thanks for clarifying but it raises another point. Have all the incidents been when using Spektrum gear ?

I only use Frsky, a Taranis, a Multiplex Tx that's been converted using a "hack" module & a Spekky Tx that's also been converted to Frsky. On a couple of vintage models I use 4 channel lightweight Rxs that only have a single aerial. Never had any problems (touch wood) either at Blyth or S.Sluice.

Posted by GARY SHEARS on 13/06/2016 17:16:11:

Because the original post was about losing signal on multiple models across that particular day.

the point is fail safe should kick in we all know that, But the real reason was why did the air craft lose connection from tx to rx so the pilot had no response ie no need for fail safe if thay didn't lose signal

The abscence of failsafe activation is critical to understanding what happened - if Failsafe had activated then it would tend to point to the TX, RX or aerial placement, the fact that it didnt pretty well rules out the TX, RX and Aerial placement - as there were multiple aircraft involved it makes the cause being internal to the model pretty unlikely too - so we are left with the environment to consider hence my earlier question was this during that large NATO Air Exercise where electronic warfare was being used? -

Hi Dave

it happened a couple of weeks back on a sunday

Ive tested all the rc equipment in the heli again and everything works fine pull the power to the bec and everything runs fine as the ultra guard kicks straight in.

if it had just being my heli that had crashed fair enough suppose even i would blame the gear

but for 5 in a day it had to be something else.

thats why im only going to fly my little 450 size heli next time out.

but there has been no reported cases since.

i don't believe it was spektrum that day

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 13/06/2016 17:37:2

The abscence of failsafe activation is critical to understanding what happened - if Failsafe had activated then it would tend to point to the TX, RX or aerial placement, the fact that it didnt pretty well rules out the TX, RX and Aerial placement - as there were multiple aircraft involved it makes the cause being internal to the model pretty unlikely too - so we are left with the environment to consider hence my earlier question was this during that large NATO Air Exercise where electronic warfare was being used? -

The main NATO exercise activities were happening at least 30 - 50miles away & none the shipping/shipborne activities involved were visible from the shore [12+miles ?].

Posted by PatMc on 13/06/2016 18:21:29:
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 13/06/2016 17:37:2

The main NATO exercise activities were happening at least 30 - 50miles away & none the shipping/shipborne activities involved were visible from the shore [12+miles ?].

In Airborne Electronic Warfare terms that isn't a huge distance, especially when you consider that military frequency agile jamming suites are capable of jamming high powered radars, blocking a 100mW from a RC TX wouldn't be a challenge to them

well i think thats cracked it .. the military has developed a radar jammer that targets spektrum txs ,but the others remain un effected , the reason they targeted blyth is there was a cargo ship full of spektrum txs on its way to the far east........... really lads ,you pro spektrum posse are really clutching at straws /scraping the barrel ,,, take your pick

Just a thought for what it's worth, many moons ago when CB radio was the craze causing issues with 27 meg gear a mate of mine who was into CB mentioned that in specific weather conditions his relatively short range rig would be able to communicate with other who were many miles away. I think it was Gary who mentioned that is was an unusually good sunny day, no expert but just wondering if this could have amplified any radar type transmissions in the area.

Hope you manage to get to the root cause of these problems, just putting forward an idea 👍

Paul.

Everyone is trying their best to explain this issue Ben, it is of interest to half the 35000 BMFA membership, as we own and operate this product, roughly 15000 people, so we are interested in lowering the odds against us and reading back through the thread, correct binding and installation is paramount.

as gary said it was a red hot lovely day for flying . i highly doubt spektrum was the only brand to be used that day .and also with cadmac very near by id guarantee it .. so why was it it that only spektrums were effected , it was bad set up ,a flat battery, solar flares now the military are jamming blyth .....hold...... stop could it not just be that there is a problem with spektrum ..like that has been reported carbon copy ,like for like over and over in just about the four corners of the earth.........fly low

Posted by Denis Watkins on 13/06/2016 20:50:27:

Everyone is trying their best to explain this issue Ben, it is of interest to half the 35000 BMFA membership, as we own and operate this product, roughly 15000 people, so we are interested in lowering the odds against us and reading back through the thread, correct binding and installation is paramount.

I'd suggest that it's of interest to all of the radio modellers in the BMFA (and outside) as we can all be affected by any issues, either by association or directly. In addition, if there are issues becoming apparent affecting one brand due to outside interference, the cause is likely to increase in intensity over time and who's to say our own radios won't be the next to be affected?

P.S. Just read your last post, Ben - have you thought to check with CADMAC as to whether their Spektrum (or other) users had problems that day?

Edited By Martin Harris on 13/06/2016 21:12:40

99.9% sure there wasnt.... would of heard at the meeting last weds .....you know what there like!!   ........ there was a glider that lost signal and flew off but that happened well before this episode (spektrum dx9 i think ) thats the last problem i know about ...

Edited By ben goodfellow 1 on 13/06/2016 21:16:07

Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 13/06/2016 21:00:24:

as gary said it was a red hot lovely day for flying . i highly doubt spektrum was the only brand to be used that day .and also with cadmac very near by id guarantee it .. so why was it it that only spektrums were effected , it was bad set up ,a flat battery, solar flares now the military are jamming blyth .....hold...... stop could it not just be that there is a problem with spektrum ..like that has been reported carbon copy ,like for like over and over in just about the four corners of the earth.........fly low

I give up a lot have people have tried really hard to help you solve this issue but you actually only want to hear one answer if you dont want to discuss things rationally and openly why bother to contribute?

Bit blunter Ben, you are not being helpful. I realise you are angry, frustrated, but most of your later posts are simple sarcasm or insult. Say what you like to me, I am used to insult by professionals, but for the more delicate souls here, you are not being helpful.

Never met any of them but I can guess...

If so, it puts the issue back to either a localised problem at your site - or coincidence.

We have many Spektrum users at our club but I can't honestly say that their users have a significantly worse record - what is apparent is that a greater proportion of new members have Spektrum so some of the perceived problems may be due to inexperience. Obviously not the cause of your own problems but I've come across such howlers as expecting an hour's charge with the supplied charger to fully recharge a receiver battery...

dave you have said this on numerous occasions .. if you dont want to comment .I DONT CARE ., im a realist a spades a spade ....they come on with holes all over there arguments and when there beat make it personal . a trend started way back in this thread and on other forums , a trend im only happy to meet ....if you havent the foggiest idea . admit that and move on ...