Fellow modeller needs a boost

Chris Bott - Moderator

Brent, while you are laid up, check out the story so far on Wilko Johnson, great guitarist, Dr. Feelgood, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, the Solid Senders. Wilko was diagnosed terminal in 2013' he refused any medications at all, was prepared mentally to just see it out. Given maybe 6 months maximum! Last year he released a superb album with Roger Daltrey. 2015, Wilko is still with us. They operated last year and managed to remove the cancerous tumour completely! As far as the medical profession can see he is totally clear, awesome. There is far more to his story, and I am certainly not suggesting you stop any medications what so ever. Just that there is always hope. Read it up, it may bring a bit of cheer to you.

Posted by Daren Graham on 08/01/2015 21:00:00:

I too have lost relatives to this awful disease. I'm touched to see the response from everyone here and I intend not only to make a donation but to paste the link where it will do some good.

Keep strong and keep fighting, it's been beaten before. By the way have you heard about the benefit of Apricot kernels to treat cancer? the doctors wont approve it but I've heard great things. Check it out on the net.

Good luck.

Cancer is a devastating illness and I hope all goes well.

Without damaging the mood (as that is not my intention), some people do reach for remedies in a desperate attempt to get better, and, to be honest, who can blame them. If the treatment is harmless, but maybe will have a benefit, then all is good, anything helps right? Usually these remedies are, in the main, quite harmless, but I must warn against Apricot kernels.

Amygdalin is the substance that exists in Apricot kernels which people claim helps, some people even market it is a cure. It is also known as Vitamin B17. In vitamin doses it is harmless but large doses it is very harmful and can kill you.

It is converted by the body into Cyanide.

It is such a serious danger that the Americans prosecute anyone marketing laetrile (a modified Amygdalin form) for cancer treatment, calling it a "highly toxic product that has not shown any effect on treating cancer" .

Do not use apricot kernels.

**LINK**

**LINK**

Edited By John F on 09/01/2015 12:27:10

Even raw kernels have Amygdalin which, in it's raw form, is completely uncontrolled with regards to dosage and if a large dose cannot cure you, but may well kill you, what probability does a tiny dose have?

Many trials have been undertaken in the use of the substance and it has been proven many, many times that it has absolutely no benefit whatsoever. It has also been proven many times, that the substance is harmful and dangerous.

Just because a little website says it's good does not mean it is, (anyone remember the rather silly "margerine is one molecule away from plastic" warning?) especially in light of the many documented research studies by clinical professionals which have found them to be clinically ineffective in the treatment of cancer, as well as dangerously toxic.

Without seeming like a stuck record : Do not use apricot kernels.

Edited By John F on 09/01/2015 13:14:07

Again i cannot express enough thanks to all and everyone who have. Left me such kind messages and also donations. Just a message gives me hope. I intend to not be beaten by cancer because i cannot afford to especialy when i have 3 kids and my first daughter only being 6 months old. I want to see her walk down the isle before i let cancer take me. In the last 3 days this thread has raised 1900 dollars for me and before that it took me nearly a month to raise 230 dollars. Im only 28 and have still yet to buy a mick reeves spit or a db sport and scale spit and fly it and that is my ambition of this hobby and target and has been since i was just a 12 year old school kid spending his dinner money on the way home from school at the local model shop on balsa. I have not flown for the last 3 years due to kids etc and recently returned to the hobby due to the illness and being unable to work. I have always loved spitfires and still intend to save and buy the kit and build it. Even if i dont complete it or fly it u will have at least reached my target of owning one.

As for treatment. They fitted a stent into my stomach friday and its left me pretty sore and sickly due to the endoscopy. But upto now uts allowing me to now keep fluids down and hopefully as the stent expands it will allow soft foods to pass through also. I have been unable to eatbor drink for the last 11 months due to stomach cancer paralising the exit to my stomach making it impossible to eat and drink and keep it down without throwing it back up. Iv gone from 14st to 7st and had to he fed via a pipe in my side bypassing the stomach. I was on a liquid feed called freshubin extra whichbis a yogurt type liquid with all the nutrients etc in the body needs to keep it alive. However i have had nothing but issues and failed to put weight on so i mamaged to convince my surgeon to allow me to have the stent fitted. So for the last day or so my body has been adapting to this stent. Its like learning to eat again but fingers crossed i should put weight on now to necome physicaly stronger to fight. I have also been told i will be starting more chemo im just waiting for the oncologist to come and see me on the ward. Thanks again guys and i will keep you all updated on here daily if i can.

Thinking of you and your family Brent. I have lost many a family member to this, but to read that you have such young children brought a tear to my eye, which takes a lot being a 45 year old police officer of 19 years service, I can tell you! To read what you have written certainly shows that you are very strong minded, and from what I have seen in my family members who have had this, I can say that having that positive mind is essential.

I, as no doubt the rest of us on here, wish you all the best in beating it, and that you enjoy your family and see them marry and have their own children.

God bless my friend.

Thanks nigel and thanks daz. I lost my mum to cancer when i was 11 and it was my dad who got me into this hobby just before she died to try help occupy my mind from what was going off and to get me out of the house. He later died of cancer when j was 19. I lost one of my nannans to cancer and also an uncle and 2 aunts. Only one of my uncles is alive today and he is my mums brother and hes beaten it twice so sadly i new i would face it at some point just didnt think it would be so soon.

• 2 weeks later...
I am doing chuck. I cant wait to get home and be round my kids am missing them like mad. Because im in a hospital 25 miles away its hard for them to visit and when its a 50 mile roubd trip in a car its bloody expensive. Sorry no updates apart from iv jad a rough 3 days where iv been in allot of pain with my back which is due to hospital mattress so they swapped it for a full air mattress which is much nicer on my back because iv no meat left on me. Infact i bet the average 1/4 scale bipe is heavier then me haha. Got to look on the brightside and stay possitive and joke as much as possible because keeping your spirits high when in hospital with this condition is hard. I just feel sorry for the nurses because they all get it from me and at least 2 dish it back at me . The staff in st james's are fantastic i have to admit. But not half as nice as being around my kids. Thanks again to those who have donated and thanks to all those who have just left messages of kind words it all means allot to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm afraid it's come to my attention that Brent lost his battle sometime this morning.

There's more news on the gofundme site.

Brent is no longer suffering at least, let's hope his family can find a suitable way to use the donations to ease their pain at his loss.

I'm proud to be a tiny part of this community, who generously gave what they could at a fellow modellers time of need.

RIP Brent.

There is nothing which i could say that in any way can alleviate the pain that his family will be enduring.

I do appreciate the hope that so many people, particularly close to him will have had, planning how to deal with issues of him returning home, Then the utter devastation stemming from the subsequent events.

At times like this, there is nothing adequate that can be said.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 09/02/2015 20:15:07