Advice for complete newbie?

Aaron katz

Hi everyone, first post here.

I have always fancied an r/c plane but not really considered it seriously, I was offered one for what seemed like a really good price but it will need some work to fly and I would appreciate some advice.

I think I can probably make any repairs needed as I am pretty handy, and as far as I know, glow engines are really simple? All I know is that it turns over smoothly and has good compression.

It is labelled "ultimate blue hawk", and Google says it might be a really good one? And maybe too good for a complete novice? Not sure though as I really know nothing about them.

So I guess what I'd like to know is:

1: how much am I looking to spend for whatever I need to fly? (Only have the plane itself)

2: is it worth spending money on this plane when it might be too much for a novice to handle

3: is the plane worth much and should I sell it and look for something more novice-friendly?

4: if it is worth anything, does anyone want to buy it? (I live in taunton, somerset)

Many thanks

Advert

Hi Aaron and welcome from North Yorkshire.

My best advice is to leave that one for later, but it's worth keeping. It isn't quite what you would call a trainer though.

What you need to do is to find a local club and go say hello. You can locate one using the BMFA website **LINK**

I'm sure someone more local to you will be along to offer their support and advice before long.

It's a great hobby and you seem to approaching it the right way.

kevinb welcome.jpg

Hello Aaron and welcome to the forum - a great place for beginners to start - you will get good advice on here. But been warned - this flying model aircraft thing is very addictive!

OK the best advice is honest advice right? So, I'll not beat about the bush. The Ultimate is about as unsuitable an aircraft as its possible to think of for a beginner! No kidding I'm afraid. You see, like the full size aircraft its based on it was designed for high performance aerobatics. As such it was created to be able to fly equally well in any attitude - right way up, on its side, upside down,...makes no difference to the Ulty! All this means it has absolutely no natural sense of stability.

Now all this is great if you are an experienced pilot and want show off throwing around the sky - its not so helpful if you are coming to terms with learning to fly, haven't got your reactions quite up to the plane yet and everything seems to be happening very very quickly!

So, what to do? Well if you like it - keep it. But don't try to fly it until you have at least two or three progressively more challenging aeroplanes under your belt.

Where to start? You need a trainer - high wing, plenty of dihedral nice and steady. Something like this. There are plenty to choose from and I'm sure others will chip in with other good suggestions. But that's the type of model you need to learn to fly on - long before you tackle the Ultimate!

Flying looks easy - and like most things once you have a bit of experience it is. BUT,...those first flights are very very difficult. My strong advice is to join a club - they will have an instructor system and will teach you to fly well and safely. People have learned on their own - but most of them would admit its a very tough (and ultimately expensive) route. With an IC engined model weighing on at 3Kg or so it also isn't the safest route! Get instruction at a club - its worth it. Clubs offer instruction for free to members - so it only costs the membership fee. Also a club will arrange your insurance for you - another essential, only a complete idiot flys a model plane uninsured in this day and age!

Anyway - wish you luck. I'm sure others will be along to offer advice as well. If anything isn't clear or you need more info don't hesitate to ask - its a big part of why we are here!

BEB

Hi all, and thanks for the flood of quick responses!

It is pretty clear that this is no beginner plane...

I would love to keep it stored until I am proficient enough to fly it, but a lack of storage space and funds means that if I am going to get a trainer, this one is going to have to go.

I don't suppose any of you could give me a rough value?

It seems to be in fairly good structural condition, every part is stiff and solid, although the plastic engine cover is a little tatty, the struts between the two wings are missing, and it is missing a wheel housing. I have no idea whether the engine is working, although it feels good when turning the prop manually, and the previous owner told me it was flying perfectly until it was stored some years ago.

Many thanks again,

Aaron

To put BEB's comments about the ultimate in non flying perspective, did you ever see Richard Hammond trying to drive a Formula 1 car? Basically he couldnt drive it.... the big difference is that Hammond was continually stalling the car - no big deal, but with a plane gravity will win and you will crash it, no ifs no but, you will, apart from smashing it to pieces you may injure or kill someone with it....

Listen to the advice - Go to a club, find one you feel comfortable with, and start on the right track with a trainer - keep the ultimate safe and sound and on the ground for when you are ready for it

I did see it Dave! And I think that's quite a good analogy, the nose would probably hit the floor within 2 minutes

I am feeling a little deflated, had dreams of roaring flybys and slow-motion textbook landings...

I will definitely look into joining a local club, I have a few small airstrips dotted around where i live so I expect there will be one or two in the area.

Cheers

Aaron

Don't feel down Aaron - the guys flying the flashiest, fastest, sleekest model jets,....all started on a trainer! And learning is actually great fun - most of us have very happy memories or learning to fly. You have it all in front of you.

Take a look at this web site - its the club index of the National body the BMFA - it will help you to find a club near you. Pick a couple, make a visit and pick the one that welcomes you and has a good instructor system. As Percy says ask them for any pointers on buying kit then come back here and we can chat about it.

Don't forget - money may be a bit tight - but you'd be surprised with how little you can get started with.

BEB

Never forget Aaron any RC pilot that says he has never crashed a plane is almost certainly being very economical with the truth!

99% of model crashes are through pilot error, we get disorientated, we make the wrong decision at a critical moment, we forget to prepare the plane correctly even the very very experienced flyers have "blonde moments" now and again..

So start with a plane thats forgiving and docile, one that will let you make mistakes and give you a chance to recover from them - if you want to go electric then there are lots of pretty cheap airframes that are very suitable as trainers you could pick

But don't be tempted by something small, go for something at least 48" wingspan so you can see it better and stand less chance of loosing it in the sky or not knowing what direction/attitude it is.

Best of all is dont buy anything until you have chatted at a club, they will know what they will be happy to train you on, what mode they fly on, what breed of transmitter they use etc etc etc

Hi Aaron, if you could upload a few photos of her I might be able to take her off you're hands.its difficult to put a price on anything you haven't seen. A rtf trainer to think about is the Eflite Apprentice though I still advise going to a local club and having a chat. You will also most certainly be offered a buddy box shot of a trainer to see how you take to flying. The last thing you want to do is spend a few hundred pounds and right it off. Just like a car. Learn the proper way. Get a slow and steady trainer , insurance then progress upwards! Remember a trainer can still wow your mates with loops and rolls! There not as dull as they look. Good luck and happy flying when it arrives

Scott

Posted by Aaron katz on 08/01/2015 23:00:47:

I am feeling a little deflated, had dreams of roaring flybys and slow-motion textbook landings...

Cheers

Aaron

You will soon be doing those roaring flybys and textbook landings if you follow the advice given and learn to fly first.

If you can't store the model you could ask anyone at the club you join if they would be interested in it.

Have patience and the rewards will be worth it.

Welcome Aaron...

Its all good advice so far. All on the forum wish you well with model flying. The advice is not to put you off but to encourage you to start off on the right foot and learn in a safe manner, your flying will be all the better for it in the long run.

You can never ask too many questions, if you ask to gain knowledge mate.

I wish you well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, thanks again for all the help, and sorry it's taken me so long to reply - had a mad few days!

Once everything is a bit more settled, I'll inquire at the local club and hopefully get flying!

Scott - if you might be interested, I'll pop some photos on tomorrow if I get a chance, or at least in the next couple of days.

Cheers

Aaron

Hi Aaron, The advice about club, insurance, trainer etc. is all excellent.

Don't be too put off if you can't do the fancy stuff right away. My best memories are all about learning to fly, it really is great fun, and the rewards when you manage your first takeoff are every bit as fine as your first loop etc.

Stick with the forum, and you'll get heaps opf sound advice as you progress

ernie

Someone mentioned a Flight Sim, there are several specific RC Simulators - I have Pheonix but there are others, they wont teach you to fly, but they will get you a head start - especially when you increase the difficulty and set the wind speed upto something realistic (how many flat calm sunny days do we get? - at some stage you are going to have to learn to fly inthe wind - so its a lot better to crash on a Sim than a real model!)

But for a sim you need a Transmitter, so find out what brand they recommend at the local club abd get one oif those (pretty well all the major makes are good) dont skimp on the Transmitter, you may think you only need 4 channels but pretty soon you'll see a model with flaps and this "I want some of them.... D'oh I cant not enough channels!" go for at least 6 channels, more if you can, as our mums used to say "you'll grow into it"

Hi Aaron. All the above advice is good please listen to it as it will also save you a lot of cash. You suggested that it would probably crash in two minutes ! That would be good more like 20 seconds before you would be picking up the wreckage. Talking to a club instructor will undoubtedly save you time and money ,and get you enjoying this fantastic and as BEB says addictive hobby in a safe and enjoyable way. Good luck .

Hi Aaron, welcome along.

I am returning to the hobby myself, after some 30 odd years! In that time virtually everything has changed ......

planes and what they are made of...

engine performance and types...

electric powered planes and gliders have improved beyond belief!

So in a way, I am in the same boat as yourself. From this newbies point of view....

Great advice above. Check out some of the shop sites and have a look what they have. Do the same with this and other flying forums and just start to read a bit. Have a good think about what floats your boat, by which I mean do you fancy old style planes, or sporty things? Do you want to go with glow or petrol type engines (those with liquid fuel) of electric motor ones which are quieter but can fly the same types as liquid fuel. As the people above have said, read some of the beginners stuff on here and other sites you come across.

The main thing (to reduce your costs) is to try to decide on which direction you want to go in. Clubs can be hard to find, may not be very active during the winter or may not be easy for you to get to (remember I do not know where you are or your circumstances). Try not to let this put you off making contact with one though, but in the meantime keep asking any questions you may have on here, and try a copy of RCM&E which at the moment is running a beginners article.

Don't give up! It is just sensible to be initially cautious, read (and watch on you tube!) what you can, and see if you can borrow/obtain some old magazine copies. Ask if you do not understand but most of all, welcome along...it does get easier! smile p

Best wishes, Myk.