Mojo No-show!!

David Gilder

So, I last flew in October and having returned from the weekend in Wales, I placed the models in the workshop and havnt done anything since!

In all honesty, I have not felt any desire to do anything connected to modelling at all.

Now with a holiday to S.A. looming we will soon be back in the flying season with meets galore and my fleet will have had no attention for literally months.

I have 2 builds that were started last year sat on the benches which also have progressed no further!

Does anyone else get like this?

Seems strange when I see people who hapily build all year round!

Maybe I just need a break from it all so I can return with a new lease of life!
Time will tell!!

Advert

G'day there Dave.

Yep, been through that couldn't be bothered feeling, have a couple (5 what a disgrace) part built models in differing stages of construction but happily flying at the moment. I think my messy shed is mostly to blame for lack of enthusiasm as it needs a major clean and better model storage.

any how, there is a lot more to life than modelling, so as long as you find a little time for all your interests I reckon you will be just fine.

cheers and chin up, bbc

We're all different but for me things can slow down or stall when it comes to jobs which aren't my favourites.

On a build with me that's generally installing the gear. On the existing fleet it's that nagging feeling that you know some tweaks or maintenance need doing, but I can't be faffed to delve into. In both cases the result is things start to drag

Whichever it is, choose one job and force yourself to have a crack at it. If that moves things on then great, if it doesn't you're no worse off

Hi Dave

Yes I recognise your description completely. The general nasty winter weather really doesn't exactly help either.

For me, the cure has been to just get out there with a small model and pretty much force myself to fly.
When I have done so, the "Boy, I remember why I do this now" feeling comes back within seconds.

Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you. It may just take a bit more time away from it and you'll be raring to go again.

Like a few others, my flying and building are at a low ebb at the moment mainly due to the weather, not having a heated workshop and still feeling pretty rough after two doses of Flu since Christmas. Even the indoor flying has taken a back seat.

I have a few tasks to complete on my helis, so as they can be done in the comfort of the house I'll amuse myself with those for the moment. Being electric, they can be serviced on the dining room table (covered of course) without fear of oil damage.

I find that if I'm not 'in the mood' then it's better to leave the models to another time, as usually I'll end up having to redo whatever it is that I've just done. For me, unfinished project syndrome is a 'killer' so I resist the temptation to have two builds on the go at one time (I might allow a real build and an ARTF foamy though!). I can't understand how others permit a huge backlog of  three or four or even five unfinished projects to accumulate - it's such a waste of effort and money as it's rare to be able to work up the enthusiasm to go back over old ground.

The only sure cure is the onset of Spring, nicer weather and the opportunity to get over the field and have a chinwag with the others and blow the cobwebs away with a few flights on a couple of favourite models.

Edited By Cuban8 on 05/02/2015 10:09:10

I've just got back in the mood after about 9 months of apathy. I think it was my brother who wanted me to help him get into the hobby that helped.

I have a couple of projects on the table including a 12 string electric guitar for my son-in-law. but the get up and go just got up and went. Maybe I'm an undiagnosed depressive but the world news over the last year has really got to me. I don't know why, I don't have to keep up with it but there you go (yesterday's news hasn't helped either). But the lethargy seems to be passing. I've been in the workshop a couple of days recently and am progressing with the stalled (err...) projects. Lets hope for some decent flying weather then I can get some sun as well.

Ian

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 05/02/2015 09:06:01:

Hi Dave

Yes I recognise your description completely. The general nasty winter weather really doesn't exactly help either.

For me, the cure has been to just get out there with a small model and pretty much force myself to fly.
When I have done so, the "Boy, I remember why I do this now" feeling comes back within seconds.

Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you. It may just take a bit more time away from it and you'll be raring to go again.

Hi Dave, nice to hear from you again.

As Chris says, you'll find your mojo where you last left it - at the flying field or hillside wink 2

Get yourself down to Greenacres this year thumbs up

Posted by TheFlyingCrust on 05/02/2015 10:37:51:

Maybe I'm an undiagnosed depressive but the world news over the last year has really got to me. I don't know why, I don't have to keep up with it but there you go (yesterday's news hasn't helped either.

As long as you're OK and your family are OK - then the world and it's troubles can go and take a running jump. Others are paid handsomely to worry about such matters - so switch the TV off, don't bother with a newspaper and just watch modelling vids on YouTube.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'm sure your all right and it will return at some point.
Maybe these few weeks in S.A. with all the sunshine will boost me!

The issue is not that I have reached parts of builds that I dont enjoy. Its simply that my modelling "get up and go" clearly died after the last meet!

Maybe I'll find a new bottle on Holibobs!

Mr A.. I hope I can get to Greenacres but at this early stage cant be sure!

Olly, This weekends out I'm afraid due to family event saturday and dog sitting on Sunday! Then we go away following one!! Will get down as soon as I can after holiday!!

Dave

It really is strange how it gets to you, I have the part built 97 Blenhiem kit which I burnt out the esc's, oops! So I have to cut away the wing sheeting to get access (I intend to refill all the holes with foam) do something about the appalling fit to the retracts, rehinge the ailerons and get on with the other 4 builds stuck onto boards or hanging from the rafters. And I just can't be bothered. I have a purpose built log cabin workshop well fitted out, heated, kettle, beer fridge and wine rack, laptop with wifi access, great music on my IPod, all as it should be. When I go in I end up with the music on, a beer in hand and a good role playing game on the laptop, hmmmm. It may be a shed to others but it is a sanctuary to me!

I had a few failures last Spring (nothing really major just minor crashes and projects that didn't fly well) and I just lost interest and stopped flying altogether all last Summer. I just went cycling a bit more which suited my wife because for some reason she loves going out with me on our tandem. She's a trusting soul.

I've now started building again, but it's a scale Thames sailing barge Hopefully that'll sail OK and even if it isn't perfect won't need the bin liner to bring it home. However, I've started flying indoors again recently and my V911 heli, my small quad and the Vapor all got an airing last night at the club's fortnightly session. I think once the weather warms up I'll be flying outside again.

I think there comes a time when you just need a change. I never felt like selling up because I knew in my heart of hearts that I'd regret it if I did.

Geoff

I have lost a lot of my flying mojo recently, but building I have the motivation but not the time!

I'm looking at joining a club again for the first time in a couple of years, so this might help, especially as it is mid-way between work and home and,with some planning in the summer could call in on the way home....

That would help me refine the mojo I think, making it easier to fly....

I have the mojo but seem to have run out of time. In October 2013 after a discussion with other forumites I got really enthusiastic and started my first plan build for many years, of a Dennis Bryant Dactyl flying wing. All went well until the winter storms when things stalled due to storm damage repairs and haven't really got going again. Had to have a refit in the worshop as the shelving I used decided they like life at 45 degrees and not horizontal ( back to front), so the workshop is a mess. Haven't been able to touch it for nearly three weeks. Also over Christmas and New Year lost my neighbour and one of my wife's Aunts so had two funerals this year already (I'm at that age when they seem to be too regular). Made the decision that I won't be fixing anyones heating systems (my old trade) from now on as the arthiritis in me legs won't let me, so hopefully will get some modelling done when I can find a suitable chair to work from. I'm sure that there will be a sudden desire for you to have another bash and things will be near normal again.

John

Hi David, A bit of a new slant on loss off Mojo. I have been building from plans for over 30 years, the idea then that it was cheaper, and I had a low paid job. I often lost my "mojo" when I could not afford bits and peices like covering, Rc etc. I would then save up to buy these things, and my mojo returned when they were used to finish the job. Not using them made me feel guilty as the money could have have been used for family or house hold things. I am now 76 and in the same position (small pension) So My mojo goes up and down, but always end on the up. I think my dear wife calls is it (retail therapy) god bless her. Cheers

• 1 month later...
Well, in an attempt to find my mojo, I have just done some retail thereapy!!

Having lost my Phoenix 2000 to a mid air last year, I have just purchased a new one!!

Should be with me in a feww days so this should get me back at it!!

Not managed to get out flying at all this year... (well not r/c anyhow!)

Roll on the days off... (oh yeah, I'm at work on a bank holiday!!!)

Hope everyone is enjoying this wonderful flying weather!! Bank holiday and no rain!!

Dear Dave, we are all only human. Two years ago I operated on cataracts in both eyes, and by that time I lived with models thanks to our wonderful forum, better to say to all of you on the forum.
Life is made by good and bad periods of mood (mojo) often without logical explanation.
Tomorrow is a new day.
face 1

In the hope that it will be all well ...... received greetings from me.

Jo

Me and a few of my friends have had a serious loss of mojo this winter due I think to our changing (getting wetter) winters and longer periods of water logged fields. Now its warming and drying out interest is returning . You'll soon feel better after a good flying session with likeminde mates and some building sessions in a warmer workshop. But every cloud has a silver lining ,albeit a thin one ; the rabbits burrows have flooded so numbers are downsmiley . Less rabbit scrapes/holes on the patch.

PS.How do you get rid of moles ?sad