What is the best tool in your workshop

Glyn44

hi,

Having virtually completely built my first ever balsa and ply model (Red Eagle Glider) I did of course have to purchase a lot of kit to do the job. I just wondered what you guys think is the best/most useful tool you use, apart from a very good vacuum cleaner!

I have two which I think are outstanding.

1 Razor Plane

2 Permagrit sanders

Over too you.......

Advert

It depends what I'm doing, of course. If I'm working on one of our bicycles then my Campagnolo special tools and my wheel building jig come out ahead of the Permagrit tools But for modelling, apart from the standard hand tools that are indispensable (scalpel, pliers, screwdrivers etc :

1: A plane I bought at a engineering exhibition which takes Stanley knife blades amongst others. It has adapters to plane rebates etc. It's French and called a Rabot Kid 20. It's brilliant and beats my razor plane into a cocked hat.

2. Permagrit sanders, of course. The long (280mm) one is used a lot but I bought the set in a plastic wallet years ago and use them all.

3. My new Axminster band saw. It replaced a rather flimsy Burgess I inherited from my father's workshop back in 1991 when he died. I wish I'd bought it years ago.

4. Lastly, any tool that was my father's from spanners to hammers, to his Wostenholme penknife with its worn from sharpening blades. I think of him every time I use them.

Geoff

Denis - you selling your scroll saw as well

Rabot Kid 20? YES! I have one as well!!!

Geoff - point (4) I have all my Dad's own stuff from when he was an apprentice, around 1934, and some of those were handed to him. They keep and edge like no other...

One of these - so handy...

• Bench mounted Disc Sander (300mm)
  • Sieg CX1 lathe
  • Makita Flip-Saw
  • Dust extractor- plumbed in to bandsaw, flip-saw and disc sander

Edited By Stevo on 08/02/2015 15:37:30

Dammit man! You made me tidy up! I hate tidying up! face 17

It has to be my Loxley A1 size cutting mat.

the cutting mat.jpg

The kife too, but many different knives and blades have introduced themselves to the mat, and indeed been hauled over it.

I have occasionally relied on the markings to measure out stuff and it accepts continuous mugs of tea and even a dinner plate containing a frighteningly spicy curry on more than a few occasions!!!

Edited By Chuck Plains on 08/02/2015 16:15:47

Edited By Chuck Plains on 08/02/2015 16:21:16

Me also comes equiped with positioning finger tools, light and heavy duty hand clamps, height adjusting legs and a pair of Mk1 eyeballs.

Me is easily maintained too. Lubricated frequently with good coffee Me can continue well into the night at the displeasure of Me's wife!

Edited By Chris Barlow on 08/02/2015 17:09:37

I have most of the above. Over the years, the secret is, not to say anything, surely but steadily get the lot, and say nothing. SWMBO is blind to most things made of metal. An old acquaintance, a SERIOUS engineer, like managed BIG projects, who also had a home workshop said to me one day as I gazed in awe at the workshop said "never be under engineered Don". And he is right.

If you have the tool you can do it , or make the tool and then make it. But patience and cunning is needed to acquire the tools. And acquire brownie points, repair of a gold chain springs to mind.

dunno about the best tool but the biggest is......meeee!! seriously to many useful ones to count, bench is that a tool, cant build/mend or do anything without one, dremmel/mini drills i have two one set up with flexi drive permenantly are quite high on the list, as would be my lathe!!

lets face it they are all the best when you need them!!

chris