Look What I found!

Peter Miller

Advert

Ha, that was a place I used to goto too! Could spend hours looking around the army surplus but now it is modern stuff, in fact I think Shepherd's have closed down.

Do you remember the aircraft seats in the pub?

Bought my first wheelbarrow there in 1978 for £20 and it's still in use

It's such a shame as its rotting away - or was the last time I saw it a few years ago. I think I remember reading that various preservation groups had taken an interest but the owner decided it was worth "serious" money and didn't want to consider their offers.

At one time it was a treasure trove of interesting surplus but last time I was there it seemed to be more like a Millets branch....

Check your own flying field location.

This is our club - SCRCS - captured on a late summer afternoon (possibly early Autumn). I think it was about 18-20 months ago as we have changed the electric fence since then.

We have two models visible, one on the ground with the owner apparently doing the walk of shame to collect. Possibly flying with a friend or under instruction - black circles - and a second model in the air. (red circles). No-one will admit to being the pilots though..

Wind from the west and assuming North is up taken about 4:00pm

scrcs-field.jpg

Regards

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 20/05/2015 13:29:55

Posted by Masher on 20/05/2015 12:02:03:

Ha, that was a place I used to goto too! Could spend hours looking around the army surplus but now it is modern stuff, in fact I think Shepherd's have closed down.

Do you remember the aircraft seats in the pub?

Bought my first wheelbarrow there in 1978 for £20 and it's still in use

I was there 70 years ago! In fact I was there on VE Day!! It was very different then. Just a pub, a cottage attached and a barn,I have quite a few memories even though only there for a few months

Posted by Ernie on 20/05/2015 12:45:28:

Hi Peter, If you search carefully around the Caspian Sea, You will find several huge Russian sea skimmers (ground effect?)(sea effect) I seem to remember that aunti beeb called them Caspian sea monsters

ernie

Ah yes, The Ekranoplan, a fantastic machine

Used to love visiting in the late 70's and early 80's. As we'd worked abroad and lived in accomodation maintained and equipped by the then MPBW, who also looked after forces married quarters, it was fun to go and visit our old furniture! At one time it also boasted a Spitfire alongside the Swift, but I believe that was sold many years ago. The Swift did double duty as a car port!

Posted by Martyn K on 20/05/2015 13:29:16:

Check your own flying field location.

This is our club - SCRCS - captured on a late summer afternoon (possibly early Autumn). I think it was about 18-20 months ago as we have changed the electric fence since then.

Nobody at all at our club site. From the direction and length of the shadows the Google Maps/Earth image was taken earlyish one morning - and we can't fly before noon. Probably taken in late May/early June as some of the Derby race preparations are visible - fences across the Downs and one of the temporary phone masts in the car park.