Plane not heavy enought to take A certicitificate test! Help

Charlie Knill

Greeting everyone

I am looking at purchasing a Parkzone Glassair but have hit a slight problem. The Glassair only weighs 950g.The required weight for the A certificate test is minimum 1kg. How would I make the plane heavy enough to take the test without upsetting the aircrafts balance?

TTFN

Charlie

Edited By Charlie Knill on 29/05/2015 14:21:32

Advert

You could add weight, but that will require balancing and additional weight will mean higher wing loading, so it will have to fly faster to maintain lift, and its duration will be reduced

As you say you are looking into buying one, why not look at alternate airframes that match the A Cert requirements

Eflite Apprentice (with SAFE Tech removed/disabled)

ST Discovery

Seagull E-pioneer

Etc etc etc

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 29/05/2015 14:28:19:

You could add weight, but that will require balancing and additional weight will mean higher wing loading, so it will have to fly faster to maintain lift, and its duration will be reduced

True, but at 54.5" span and an AUW of 33.5oz its not exactly going to be lardy so I doubt the extra 2oz - which could be "working" weight in the form of a bigger battery, assuming there's enough space to reposition the battery to maintain balance - would kill it

But on balance I agree with the above. Simpler to go for an airframe that already measures up to the A Test requirements, unmodified

In all honesty I can not see an extra 50g being a problem. Fly it first and trim it out then add the lead under the CG location.

Sussex models have a v good offer at the moment for this model. £99.00 w/o Tx

Edited By FlyinBrian on 29/05/2015 14:53:51

would it fly with extra weight added - yes........ would you like it ......? nobody can answer that unless they have done it...I would chose an alternative wot 4 or riot.....or other.....may cost more but it will be worth it..

Personally I would just add the extra 50g or so over the CG area to achieve the min. weight target. The size and style of that particular model is well suited for the A test and as Ian has said, a few grammes extra on a high wing model of that size is neither here nor there. I hope the examiner has got an accurate and calibrated set of scales though.

Edited By Bill_B on 29/05/2015 15:10:40

I agree with Bill, 2ozs of extra weight will not be noticed on this wing span, if I remember correctly, it is the wing loading which is important in my view. Without knowing the spec. I think 2ozs would add a very small percentage to the W/L. Cheers

Also weigh the plane, the manufacturers quoted weight might be slightly out (or not including the battery) wink 2

Just watched the video, looks a nice plane, but it while it says the flight training can be turned off, it says that the stabilisation remains active, for an A test the plane shouldn't have any flight aids active.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 29/05/2015 15:39:20

How about something like the trainstar from HK? 1400 span, looks heavy enough .. ?71, add an ?18 HK 6ch radio and cheap battery and decent charger and you should be good to go
Just a thought... #edit# those question marks are pound signs but don't work when typed from my phone!?

Edited By Mark Stringer on 29/05/2015 16:47:33

Edited By Mark Stringer on 29/05/2015 16:48:09

Hi Charlie, If you have not actually bought the Glassair yet, it is well worth looking at Mark,s suggestion, re HK Trainstar. Seems to me a fantastic price with everything included. Great bargain, Mode 2 only I think. Cheers Also check it out on utube.

I have flown a trainstar - good and rugged (its a plastic moulded fus so pretty strong)

The weak points - the tail wheel fitting is rubbish needs a better screw fixing (easy to do)

Trimming - Mine needed a lot of down thrust to get it flying

But once trimmed flies well and is pretty wind resistant

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 29/05/2015 17:17:26