Windows 10 - Any Advice

Neil67

Having pondered awhile regarding upgrade from W.7Home Premium, I regret to say that I'm still not sure about changing. I've had no problems with W.7 and reading the above I can't really detect any great advantage with the change to W.10 except that as it seems to be a cut-down program, it's a bit faster. Time has passed and forumites will have now had time to evaluate W.10.

I'm not a computer wiz. and it seems to me that many choices have to be made to install the new operating system. My laptop is non touch screen and has a very good spec. I've disabled the touch pad as I hate these. Can I do this with 10?

Anyone willing to comment on their own experiences with 10 since the last post.

Yes,I upgraded to W.10 from W. 7 recently and I am quite pleased with the results. My PC is modest specification and about 4 or 5 years old and it performs better now than it has done for a long time. My PC had developed some irritating bad habits over the years and didn't have the capability or confidence to fix them. These have now been eliminated, the only slight issue since the change is that my CD/DVD drive isn't working. I have found a fix for this on a forum site, and it seems a small change is needed to the registry, I haven't quite decided whether I need to do this yet.

My desktop isn't touchscreen or even recent spec., just a dual core Pentium running at 2.9GHz. The upgrade from Win 7 professional to Win 10 was relatively (I'll come back to this) painless and everything seems to work. I don't remember having to make many, if any, choices installing Win 10. After the installation I just went through settings to switch everything to private mode and switch of cortana and Edge. My pc boots faster and shuts down quicker, and unlike Win 8 I find Win 10 easy to use.

Right, 'relatively' painless. The Windows upgrade went without a hitch. However I have dual boot Linux Mint/ Windows using the Linux boot utility Grub. Microsoft don't like Linux/Grub and every time I've done a major Windows upgrade since Win 98 or so the upgrade renames the partitions, effectively screwing Grub so the pc won't boot without rebuilding it.

Hello Barrie Dav2 I upgraded to Win 10 in late October but had to revert back 3 days later. E mail screwed up and then Win 8.1 not as it was. Kept reading various blurbs on Win 10 and found an interesting article about one fix that had not worked and was being removed. I took the plunge 10 days ago and went for a second upgrade. Screwed up my Broadband allowance but it was worth it . All is working fine, interested in how to turn of Cortana if any help available

Posted by Barrie Dav 2 on 01/01/2016 10:19:53:

I can't really detect any great advantage with the change to W.10 except that as it seems to be a cut-down program, it's a bit faster. Time has passed and forumites will have now had time to evaluate W.10.

I would say that it isn't a cut down program, it just doesn't load a heap of useless stuff at startup and as a consequence is much, much faster.

​They learned from Win8 and got it about right. It is worth it.

I updated my desktop PC to Win 10 a couple of days ago and it all seemed to go smoothly. I try to back up my PC to a separate USB connected HD regularly (though perhaps not as frequently as I should) and I saved a so-called system image yesterday. It worked OK but took most of the day to do whereas when I did the same thing on Win 7 it was much, much faster. It said it was successful. I hope it was.

I've just backed a system image on my wife's Win 7 desktop and, despite her machine being my slower cast-off, it went very much quicker. We keep our data on virtual 'D' drives and I back that up separately. We both use Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird and back them up using Mozbackup.

One thing I don't like is that suddenly programs are called apps. I hate that word. I've been involved in electronics all my life and with computers on and off since 1961 and I got used to using the US spelling for programme but we always called applications just that. I notice that the 'Classic Shell' link shows the Explorer and Start Menus with the more adult spelling and I'm tempted on those grounds alone

One reason I use a desktop for 99.9% of my computer use is that I can update and/or repair a desktop. Having had a laptop fail and even found the fault (a burnt out chip in power section) it was impossible to fix because new mother boards just aren't available. We both have Android tablets but I guess if they go wrong it's bin time. Neither have smart phones.

Geoff

Well I've had several updates over the last couple of weeks, I now have lost "EDGE" all togetherangry luckily Google chrome wasn't deleted on the set up, pics I can downloaded from my SD card, but where they have gone, I dunno, .....big black hole....somewhereangrySO it is not a happy New Year, can anyone help please????

hello AAB...the only thing i can think of is do a system restore..should bring edge back...when i started with 10 edge was a bit iffy so i got rid of it and started to use for the first time mozilla firefox...... and haven't had any probs........ complaints about edge were common on the internet...

ken anderson...ne....1... M/Zilla dept.

Biggest annoyance for me so far is losing Windows Live Mail following the misleading email from Microsoft which confusingly directed Win 10 users towards an update to allow Live Mail to continue working.

Once I'd installed the download, Live Mail stopped working and to date all efforts to restore it have failed....

The Win 10 Mail 'app' is just plain awful - you cannot migrate emails and contacts from Live Mail, so I've got my entire email history sitting somewhere currently inaccessible on the PCface 19

Pete

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 02/01/2016 15:39:54:

Biggest annoyance for me so far is losing Windows Live Mail following the misleading email from Microsoft which confusingly directed Win 10 users towards an update to allow Live Mail to continue working.

Once I'd installed the download, Live Mail stopped working and to date all efforts to restore it have failed....

The Win 10 Mail 'app' is just plain awful - you cannot migrate emails and contacts from Live Mail, so I've got my entire email history sitting somewhere currently inaccessible on the PCface 19

Pete

You can just log into your Microsoft account, from anywhere, to get your email - Link,

If you are using Microsoft products they automatically make an account for you now, for windows, xbox, phone etc and lumps everything together, Its easier for them to mine your data

Edited By Codename-John on 02/01/2016 15:57:21

I use two web-based email clients so I have access anywhere but I download everything to the Live Mail folders on the PC for preference. Much easier to do the housekeeping with Live Mail.

MS and Google's determination to plug into your life is getting a tad wearing....face 22

Pete

When I moved to Windows 10, it was after much deliberation. Windows 7 did all I needed, all my software and system operated just fine. Why change?

In the end it was a case that the change is at zero cost to me, that all my windows 7 products would cease to be supported, there would be no new products for window 7, if i wanted them. My phone runs window 10.

I stuck with windows 98 long after many other window upgrades had been and gone, all through that time my PC had less functionality and when my cable connection failed, that was it, the network provider did not support Windows 98, I was without a PC foe weeks.

It seems you just have to change with the times, although it does cost, in many ways. You just have to accept that it costs to keep your system running, each year, PCs are not a fit and forget system.

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys. Having scanned the web I got the impression that 8gb was enough but was a little uncertain. So, as the wife is at work today managing her store in the shopping centre I've given here a little shopping list. Playing safe gone for a 32gb USB stick(only a couple of pounds difference for smaller so why bother). Plus a pack of DVD-R which I can also use elsewhere.

I back my stuff up on a 1 TB USB hard drive. I prefer it to a USB stick because it's less likely to get lost The annoying thing about USB sticks is that they seem to have no easy way to label them. I have several and have to go through each one to find the one I want.

The option is to use the 'cloud'. However I'm a bit anal and like to keep my own data where I know it is. I always set up my own file structure on my PC rather than let Windows decide for itself. I suppose it dates from the days when I worked on early microprocessors (MC6800 and 8085) when I didn't have an operation system looking after me.

Geoff

Just a little clarification - although Gonzo mentioned a backup, from the context I think he's being prompted to create a recovery disk/USB stick.

A recovery disk would enable you to reinstall or repair Windows should it go belly-up, but not any of the programs or data you have on the PC.

A backup will contain whatever you choose it to contain, normally stuff like all your photos, documents etc. that you'd lose if/when the PC dies.

I use a 1tb USB hard drive for my data storage back up which I move between my desk top and lap top. But, I wanted 10 on its own on a dedicated storage medium. I've got a lot of transfering to do as I'm moving from Vista to 10 on a new MSI lap top. I'm relying on my creaking old(8+ yrs) steam powered desk top at the moment. Next step will be to treat myself to a new desk top. Although the lap top is plenty good enough on its own I do like to have some form of back up. Dificult to function now days without a computer and internet.

Absolutely correct John. My bad on the terminology. A recovery disk/USB stick it is. If I understand things correctly I couldn't put 10 on the 1tb hard drive as the process would have reformated the unit and I would have lost all my saved data.

Edited By GONZO on 25/03/2016 11:15:49