Windows 10 - Any Advice

Neil67

Posted by John Privett on 25/03/2016 11:01:05:

Just a little clarification - although Gonzo mentioned a backup, from the context I think he's being prompted to create a recovery disk/USB stick.

Indeed, John - I realised Gonzo meant a recovery stick but if I corrected everything I read on the forum, I'd probably be labelled a pedant.....wink 2

I back up data to a separate HD. I've already got a recovery partition on the HDD but it does no harm to have a backup for the recovery, IYSWIM - but that's enough.......teeth 2

Pete

Advert

It is interesting, in that the drive backs up the photos, text and Excel files, once a month,by itself

I have never bothered to back the windows files as i have had the discs in the past. It is only now i realise i do not have windows 10 other than downloaded files.

Ah, confusion, as predicted by JP, didn't take long to surface, did it, Erf?smile

So you already have a backup procedure for your photos etc, in which case you are asking about a recovery package? I believe one can make a recovery folder on an external drive but it seemed so much easier and safer to put it on a USB key or DVD, which you use to boot the PC.

How one can access the external drive when the PC is kaput is beyond me....teeth 2

Pete

Yep, I get it Pete.

To be honest I never thought about the operating system.

In the past you need MS-Dos as the operating system, with Windows on top. I am guessing that Windows 10 is everything in one package?

These days it seems I no longer care, as long as it works, how it works i could not care, I guess that is progress.

Pretty much as my car, I know nothing about it. It took me by surprise that it has two turbo chargers, particularly when I was adamant it did not have one. That is other than an engineer from Garret saying, it will have one, believe me, that is where the performance comes from. I still was not convinced, I was after a bit of reading.

Seems it is the same with my PC.embarrassed

A bit of feed back. Thought I'd gone over the top with my 32gb USB flash drive. But, having just started creating the recovery disk process I was suprised to be told by the computer that I need to use a USB stick with a minimum capacity of 19.6gb. As this is an automatic opperation I can only surmise that it is MS OS10 plus others.

• 3 months later...

The time is nigh and having dithered for too long a decision is required "to upgrade or not"?.

Simple question for those who have taken the plunge. Yes it was a good decision or No regret the decision.

I know there are many technical pros and cons but simply looking for a yes or no please if you can.

Thanks

Neil

I would say, yes, it is worth it - as sooner or later you'll not have any choice of a Windows operating system. By and large mine is fine - some good features but it's just the forced updates that rankle a bit and I'm very annoyed about the loss of Live Mail 2012. I'm on Mailbird now which is a poor substitute....

Pete

I resisted Win 10 so strongly I installed Never10 in my PC and laptop!

However, as both machines were destroyed in a fire, I had to buy a Win 10 laptop.

I am now a convert, Win 10 is fine, and getting better the more I get familiar with it.

My advice- up-grade but save your pics and docs to an external drive first, just in case.

I'm an IT professional, I was a sys admin for 7 years and I'm currently a software developer. I work with Linux & Windows and I currently have between work and home windows 7, 8 and 10.

My take on Windows is every second one seems good. XP - good, Vista - bad, 7 - good, 8 - bad, 10 - yep it's good.

10 is pretty much a straight upgrade of 7. You can unpin the annoying metro stuff and you can make it look every bit as much as 7. There's some extra overhead though with the telemetry stuff which is a total pain to try and disable and you still can't get all of it.

My advice then -

1) Is your pc struggling a bit with windows 7? If so then don't upgrade. Windows 10 does have some optimisation but it's heavier all around

2) Do you have programs that you rely on heavily? If so it's probably not worth the risk. If all you do is browse the net, do some photo stuff and word processing then go for it ( after backing up all the important documents )

I've upgraded my home pc that I use for coding but my gaming rig with my years of accumulated programs and work is staying as 7.

That said I'm far less likely to want to spend a weekend tinkering with a PC given my employment

Final note - I upgraded my mother's laptop which had some pretty good specs. It still took > 6 hours. Plug it in ( both to power and via a lan cable ), set it going and leave it somewhere overnight. The worst thing you can do is power it off if you think it froze. If it's still doing nothing after 24 hours then you've a problem

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 25/07/2016 21:42:43

I have two HP laptops,

Put W10 on the oldest one when it became available and it works fine, much better that W8.1.

I have had 4 attempts to get W10 to work on the newer laptop and have had to remove it each time- the machine grinds to a halt and the internet connection drops out frequently. I have decided not to upgrade this machine.

The only solution is to try W10, remember you have 28 days grace from installation and can remove it, after that your stuck with it.

One interesting snippet of information that has come to my attention is that the Windows 10 Anniversary update (due on 2nd August) will make the use of Cortana compulsory, and you will not be able to remove or disable it.

This means every search you perform on your PC's contents will be automatically sent to Microsoft angry

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/during-windows-10-anniversary-update-microsoft-will-make-cortana-mandatory-28-07-2016/

Big brother or what?

Edited By Essjay on 29/07/2016 09:07:27

You can easily hide Cortana and the search box in the taskbar so you don't need to use it

Right click on the Cortana search box

Select the 'Hidden' option

Also, you don't have to sign in to Cortana, and if you stay signed out, none of the data sent back will be linked with your account – it will be anonymous

You can also disable the feature permanently with a registry tweak

Go to Start, type regedit and hit enter

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search

Right-click on Windows Search and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value

Type AllowCortana

Double-click on this and set its value to 0 to disable Cortana

Edited By John F on 29/07/2016 09:35:03

Jumped in an installed Windows 10. Hasn't gone well. Seemed ok but then noticed desktop keeps refreshing every few minutes albeit nothing is running other than default start programs set by the system. Haven't touched any settings.

During apparent refresh all the icons on the bottom disappear and then re-appear a couple of seconds later but annoyingly if you are typing at this point, e.g an email, anything typed during the refresh doesn't appear as the cursor has disappeared. Happens with several programs, but particularly with system programs.

Similarly, if I open control panel, it opens but then closes immediately, the net suggests many have experienced this issue. Therefore can't access any of the control panel features.

Using a Dell Inspiron which is only a few years old. One web site suggested that Dell wasn't supporting Windows 10 on this laptop (any Dell guys out there).

Will await Anniversary update and see if that helps, failing that, back to Windows 7.

The constant refreshing is really annoying as you don't notice at first and keep typing only to find cursor has disappeared and your still a sentence behind!!!!

Shame it looked quite good.

Neil