What sort of charger needed for Nimh Eneloop batteries

Posted by Percy Verance on 18/07/2015 09:58:31:

I use my Ripmax wall charger of the type supplied with Futaba sets. I actually have an *all receiver* version, with two rx outlets. One outlet is 600mah, the other is 1000mah I think.

Percy, 600 & 1000mA are quite high rates for an untimed, non-peak charger ... Futaba wall-warts were usually 70mA or 150mA but maybe the later ones are higher.

Cheers
Phil

Edit:sorry,  my mistake, Percy said 600 or 1000 mAh,  not 600 & 1000 mA . 

Edited By Phil Green on 18/07/2015 16:54:59

Phil, what Percy wrote could actually be the same as what you're saying.

It's one of my pet hates that units are often misquoted, not just on forums like this but by people who should know better. Programmes on the Discovery Channel for instance frequently get the units of force and pressure muddled up...sad And don't get me started on the misues of the unit of torque! fist

Anyway, rant over (for the moment!), Percy mentioned 600mAh and 1000mAh in his post, not 600 mA and 1000 mAh. If it's a wall wart charger then the chances are it's outputting current suitable for charging 600mAh and 1000mAh batteries - most likely at the C/10 rate, ie. 60mA and 100mA.

Posted by John Privett on 18/07/2015 14:16:58:

It's one of my pet hates that units are often misquoted, not just on forums like this but by people who should know better.

Wow, sorry John, thats me told! it was a genuine mistake on my part, I did misread Percy's post as 600mA and 1000mA for which I humbly apologise, I'll get back in my box now.

Sorry
Phil

Phil - I certainly wasn't aiming my rant about units at you - apologies if it came over that way!

It's just that units are misused so often it's sometimes difficult to know whether what appears to be "wrong" unit has been used in error or deliberately, but stated in a way that sounds wrong.

For example...  Somebody might talk about a "2kg. servo."  Taken literally that would mean a servo that weighed 2kg - something that is fairly unlikely in model planes.  We'd all assume they meant a servo with torque of 2 kg.cm. but there's a slim chance they might have really meant its weight!  (Equally incorrect would be to state a torque of 2kg/cm, but whilst the unit is just wrong, wrong, wrong, at least it's less likely to be confused with it's weight!)

Edited By John Privett on 18/07/2015 18:34:10

I have a couple of Accucel 6 chargers. They work well, reasonably priced and do a wide variety of batteries. Can be a field charger and with the mains adapter used at home as well. The mains adapter is a separate purchase, though an old computer adapter with the correct output voltage would be good enough.

Didn't buy them from Hoobyking though .

Edited By cymaz on 20/07/2015 06:39:42

• 4 weeks later...

Need a bigger charger I think

Not necessarily depends how much you are taking out of the batterys each time. In days of old when knights were bold we had 500mA/H batteries supplied with our radios and 50mA chargers, rarely flattened a TX or RX battery totally and charged them overnight regardless, despite of some of the old wives tales regarding nicads they were fine for years. So if you are using standard servos in a typical sport model you will probably only be using a fraction of batterys capacity each time. So it sont need anymore than an overnight charge even at what might be considered a 40hr rate. Think of it as filling a bath with a tea cup could take hours if empty but if only a couple of pints have been taken out it wont take long If you have lots of hungry digital servos in a big model think again. I have a 2AH battery in my old JR transmitter The wallwart charger only delivers 60mA however I dont take any more out of the battery than I did with the original smaller battery.

,I have a GT POWER V5 for my Lipo`s which will charge NIMH would this be ok ?

Sounds perfect

One thing to consider is the initial charge - perceived wisdom is that series nickel cells (no individual cell taps for balancing) need a forming charge to ensure they all start at the same charge level i.e. full!

Using an "intelligent" peak detect charger could result in one or more cells never getting fully charged with a resulting imbalance which can get worse over repeated charges.

For this reason, I've always done the initial charge on a "dumb" charger (I made a multi-voltage / multi-rate one years ago but a wall wart will do the same with an appropriate extended period for larger capacities) with which you can run the initial recommended forming charge.

This is also a justification for an occasional discharge/forming charge to ensure that the cells are kept equalised.

The above is only a distillation of various sources I've read over the years so may be challenged by anyone out there with expert knowledge - feel free!