Servo end adjuster

Hi all,

I need to buy a few of the following type of adjusters. They are off of a Wot 4. Problem is I have no idea what they are called, so that I can order some. If there is an alternative please tell me. The metal upright has become very loose giving loads of slop in the control. I don't like it. It is the only way of adjusting the the control surface.

image.jpg

Cheers Glyn.

Glyn,

These are 'push rod connector' and SLEC has them on this page.

However I would have thought that the issue is not that you need a new connector, but that either the connector wants tightening on the arm, (usually there is a star washer that can be pushed further towards the arm - but not sure what it is on your picture), or else the hole in the arm has worn so needs replacing.

Hi thanks all

Colin, you are dead right but the tightening is just a piece of hard plastic tube, it's rubbish and the slop has of course worn the hole. I think I will go for a direct z bend and remove any error with sub trim. Unfortunately there is insuffient room to solder on a clevis's extender before the control rod disappears into the fuse.

But thanks to you all I can get it sorted now.

Much obliged,

Kind regards Glyn.

Glyn, can I please use your thread to ask a newbie question?

I do not like linkage stoppers either - the method of retaining the stopper to the servo arm seems very iffy to me.

We are told to centre the control surface mechanically as much as possible and not use sub trim. But if Glyn (or I) has a z bend at both ends of the control rod, how can he avoid using sub trim?

Ian

Hi Ian,

it sounds like you might be refering to my recent article in the mag! So I'll try to help answer your question smile

The key point is that you really should not be in a situation where neither end of the linkage is adjustable. If you have a Z-bend on one end then on the other you need an adjustable link - either a screw-in clevis or a ball-link. This way the linkage is always capable of fine adjustment without using sub-trim. Of course you do have to make your Z-bend as accurate as you can because whilst the other end is adjustable the range of safe movement is limited.

Hope this helps.

BEB

PS I don't like these so-called end adjusters either and won't use them. If they are supplied with a kit I just replace them.

Linkages of that type are ok as long as they have a steel washer and nut and you threadlock them on securely - if you dont threadlock them the nut will work loose and drop off quickly followed by the control rod.....

They are usefull where space is at a premium and space for a clevis and adjustor isnt available

But personally I prefer to solder an threaded adaptor onto the pushrod then screw on a clevis to the adaptor

I agree with all this and agree that they are risky if used with a smooth control rod. I have used them successfully without a problem with studding or the screw portion of the threaded control rod, which just winds into the hole of the link, so if the screw falls out, as it has on my JP, the rod stays attached with the screw thread. To adjust it, I just take off the servo arm and wind it onto the thread back and to. This works even better if you are using the 2.5mm studding supplied with Sullivan control rods. You get that little extra diameter to bit into the hole.

I hope this makes sense. I have however, on later models, used thread lock on the screw to keep it in position.

I have to say that it makes the adjustment of the trim much easier than having to keep taking off and removing the clevis.

The problem I have is making the hole in the servo arm the right diameter to avoid slop where the clevis fits into the hole. That I have found to be more of a problem - constant movement wearing away the plastic, particularly in wings.

Posted by Glyn Calow on 21/08/2015 16:24:38:

And I thought Chris Foss planes were the business! So why does his plane designed use these?

The Chris Foss designs are indeed the business Glyn but sadly when produced as ARTF kits by Ripmax the supplied fittings leave a lot to be desired.

For me it's a bit of horses for courses, for small electric models this type of push rod connector is fine and I've had some in use for several years and they've been fine. For larger electric and IC models then Z bends, swing keepers and normal clevises are my preferred option.

BTW the Ripmax Wots Wot doesn't use these but Z bends and regular clevises and closed loop on the rudder so no complaints there.