Wren Engines go into Liquidation

Andy Green

I heard about it at Winterton last weekend. Not surprising, as there are now many companies making the engines, where Wren was one of the first, now there is stiffer competition and development, maybe they didn't move with technology, maybe prices, but in the end there are only so many who can afford a jet turbine...

I'm not that interested in a Jet, maybe if I had the money might get one, and if I did it probably wouldn't be a Wren, anyway, so even the catchment area is even smaller.

Added to that, lack of suitable flying sites, even some clubs, where there is plenty of space, including an airfield, like Langar, you can't fly jets throughout most of the summer months, because of the crops. The restrictions are too much because of that, which puts me off.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 21/08/2015 17:14:01

Sadly it's legal to rip off creditors, and transfer everything except the debit. Sounds too much like cowboy builder tactics and the market for Jet turbines is very small so they may or may not have shot themselves in the foot.

I hope any modellers have not lost out with their hard earned cash with the original Wren company or lost their orders.

Posted by Keith Simmons on 22/08/2015 11:36:16:

Sadly it's legal to rip off creditors, and transfer everything except the debit. Sounds too much like cowboy builder tactics and the market for Jet turbines is very small so they may or may not have shot themselves in the foot.

I hope any modellers have not lost out with their hard earned cash with the original Wren company or lost their orders.

Actually, it is not. It is not legal to transfer and trade off the goodwill - which is an asset of the company dissolved. It appears to be rarely enforced however, I know because my firm has suffered from these Phoenix companies. The authorities are useless.

Edited By Rich2 on 23/08/2015 09:29:58

Interesting times.. its a small market I guess.. so I hope any new business diversifies too!

I'm a JETCAT kinda guy myself; however I do not like to see a British product be lost; the finances are what they are and the laws of the UK let a lot great things go unpunished!

(In no way to I mean to under estimate the problem caused for the creditors one bit)

Mud sticks only if it is thrown! Seems to me that no one wants to give what may possibly be some new potential owners a chance, these guys may be putting a rescue package together to save Wren, they may be former employees looking at a buy out, or even it might be a pheonix company with the same captains at the controls, nobody knows, because there is no information out there yet! so guys, please don't tarnish the reputation of something that hasn't even been given a chance to get off the ground yet.

Posted by Percy Verance on 23/08/2015 10:03:00:

Those behind the Wren company, or whoever it is setting up what appears to be a new company, needs to issue a statement explaining what has happened and why. They also need to clarify where they stand with regard to moving forward, orders placed with the old company, and money owed in other respects.

I rather feel if they don't do this soon, much of the modelling community will turn their backs on the new company. Mud sticks in this business.........

I agree, it doesn't help.

Posted by Dylan Reynolds LaserCraft Services on 23/08/2015 11:55:28:

Mud sticks only if it is thrown! Seems to me that no one wants to give what may possibly be some new potential owners a chance, these guys may be putting a rescue package together to save Wren, they may be former employees looking at a buy out, or even it might be a pheonix company with the same captains at the controls, nobody knows, because there is no information out there yet! so guys, please don't tarnish the reputation of something that hasn't even been given a chance to get off the ground yet.

I agree, my comment about pheonix companies was a general one, not aimed at Wren at all.

I feel very fortunate, I ordered a Wren 80 at the beginning of April and paid in full, they quoted 4/5 weeks. After 6 weeks I phoned several times ,they kept promising delivery in a few days with excuses like their suppliers letting them down,etc It did eventually arrive after ten weeks. How a company can be in so much debt when in effect their customers are providing free credit is beyond me. I have no inside information but I suspect the new company will be producing turbines for power generation etc . nothing to do with the model industry . As I said I feel very lucky and I feel very sorry for those who are out of pocket . I hope the new company will do the decent thing and at least fulfill their existing orders .

Tim

That wasn't a dig at your comment or you Rich, or anyone else for that matter, I was also talking generally, a company finds themselves in the unfortunate position of making a huge decision (if it wasn't made for them) to close and people start talking about details they know nothing about, if administrators are involved, then everybody who is directly affected by this will be approached whether it is debtors or creditors, I hope for the people who have placed orders and paid get what they want, be it the goods or refunds.

The new operators of the business will only be responsible for any of the aftermath if they have bought the company along with the debt, which is what usually happens when companies get exchanged for £1.

All I want to say is, give the new guys a chance, they obviously want to give the brand a second chance.