BA 777 Engine fire at Las Vegas

Concorde Speedbird

Advert

Having seen the TV news footage, can we be certain it was the engine that was on fire? Difficult to know exactly, but from an overhead shot, the casing of the port engine appears to be showing few signs of scorching but the seat of the fire seems to be from the fuselage adjacent to the engine.

Just idle speculation, but the pilot was aware of an engine problem on his take off run and aborted, so I'm wondering if the engine has had an un-contained failure with debris striking the fuel tank?

Great news that nobody was seriously injured or worse whatever turns out to be the true cause though.

Posted by Concorde Speedbird on 09/09/2015 06:38:09:

BBC News have it as their main story, so there's the best place for more info.

You ARE joking, Right??

They reported earlier that the pilot crashed the plane on the runway. In what way is an aborted take off run leaving the plane standing on all wheels a crash?

Looks like lessons of the Manchester air disaster when a BA 737 caught fire on takeoff have been learned,many died because the aircraft wasted time taxiing off the runway and then came to a stop where wind fanned the flames towards the passenger compartment.

Posted by Dave Bran on 09/09/2015 08:59:22:

Some lessons clearly NOT learnt, such as preventing brain dead idiots taking bags from overhead and delaying exit.......................

**LINK**

Very soon there will not be enough smart people left in the world to look after all the dumb people.[might be there already ]

in fairness, i am sure some people would try and take their stuff as they might not realise the danger. Its also human nature to not want to loose something that belongs to you.

That said, some people are stupid. When i was a teenager i worked at a homebase store and the fire alarm sounded during our refit after a workman doing some welding set something alight. i got up off my till to leave and the woman next in line said 'where are you going? what about all my stuff? i cant leave it here what if someone takes it?'. I politely (and quite sarcastically) said that she could remain with her stuff if she wanted but i was leaving as i didnt want to be burned alive. I left her to it, but as the store didnt burn down i assume she survived on that occasion!

I personally think that if people knew that they had perhaps 2 minutes maximum to get out of a burning plane before they would be overcome by heat and smoke i am sure they would make more effort to get out. I also think that cabin crews should be able to instill a little more order when doing safety briefs as most people dont bother watching and continue to chat. i know we have all seen it before, but that is not the point. Flying is extremely safe, but complacency is a killer.

Some lessons clearly NOT learnt, such as preventing brain dead idiots taking bags from overhead and delaying exit.......................

**LINK**

I wonder if there's any mechanism for prosecuting those identified taking bags with them? Leaving luggage behind is part of the safety briefing so they are effectively disobeying the aircraft captain's command...

Might help save some lives in the future?

**LINK**

First thing i noticed too, if they had been stood in front of me and my family i can guarantee who would have been first off!! wink

In different circumstances, collecting your bags could have resulted in the death of many onboard. They don't say it for no reason.

So pleased they all got off ok and well done to ALL the crew.

Where do you keep your passport when on a plane? Keep it in a trouser pocket? Almost all women would keep their passport & money in a bag, so you cannot blame them for stopping to collect their bags. How would they get around without passport or money?

Clothes designers ( for men & women) should design clothes that accomodate essentials like passports!   Design them with several secure pockets with zips. buttons or Velcro.

Edited By kc on 09/09/2015 11:09:41

Edited By kc on 09/09/2015 11:10:31

"Looks like lessons of the Manchester air disaster when a BA 737 caught fire on takeoff have been learned,many died because the aircraft wasted time taxiing off the runway and then came to a stop where wind fanned the flames towards the passenger compartment."

JD8 your comment gives the impression that the crew did not act quickly enough in the Manchester disaster and I feel I have to correct you on this.......... In the Synopsis on the first page of the Accident Report it states:-

"The crew heard a "thud", and believing that they had suffered a tyre-burst or bird-strike, abandoned take-off immediately, intending to clear the Runway to the right. They had no indication of fire until 9 seconds later, when the left engine fire warning occurred."

On page 98 of the report it states:-

"The Commander's assessment of the "thud" as a tyre burst or fuselage bird strike was therefore quite reasonable: he responded to the cues which were available to him, which at that time consisted solely of the noise, a "thud". His response was rapid and decisive ordering "stop" in less than 1 second and he and the co-pilot speedily implemented the abandoned take-off drill."

There is of course a great deal more in the official Accident Report but I wouldn't want anyone to have the impression that the crew had "wasted time" in that accident. It was a tragedy and yes, lessons were learned and are learned from every accident which is why thankfully, there are so few accidents these days.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of this 777 incident but yes, it would seem that the crew did an excellent job.

Paul