DB Tiger Moth dummy fuel tank corrugations and rib stitching.

Geoff S

Advert

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 08/11/2015 00:27:19:

And don't forget at such levels of scale you really should also fit a LH prop. For some reason Frank Halford designed the DH Gipsy to run the opposite way to convention!

I suppose with an electric motor I could do just that but I think I'll just go with fitting a LH prop for display purposes cheeky

Geoff

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 08/11/2015 00:27:19:

And don't forget at such levels of scale you really should also fit a LH prop. For some reason Frank Halford designed the DH Gipsy to run the opposite way to convention!

Perhaps he had to hand swing it? My fairly limited experience flick starting Gypsy Majors in Chipmunks made me rather glad that he had - I think I would have felt far less comfortable using my left hand and was always glad not to have been asked to swing a Lycoming or similar - although subsequently, I've seen videos of Cubs being swung from behind the prop with the pilot's right hand..

Lefties may see it differently!

Geoff

I made the corrugations out of litho. Anneal the litho sheet and cut to size of the tank top, sides, bottom etc.

Place the litho on some soft balsa sheet, and score the litho with help of a dowel of suitable dia and straight edge. You may need to experiment a bit with the dia and shape of the pointy bit of the dowel to achieve the desired size of corrugations. Too pointy and it would pierce through, too thick and it makes too fat corrugations.

I made the dowel out of some scrap bamboo dowel progressively sanded down to require nose profile.

The litho could be easily stuck down to the wood frame using appropriate glue

Not the best picture of the result but this is what I could find currently on the puter.

I was fairly pleased with my tank - not in the super scale class but acceptable for a sport scale job. All done with a sheet of 'postcard' type card and a coat of silver dope. A bit of dirtying up would probably improve it a bit.

tigermothtank.jpg

No special technique, it simply bends around easily by hand. The sheet is only 0.1mm thick so it's just like bending thin copper wire - except it's a bit wider of course!

You can also cut it easily with a modelling knife or scissors.

Edited By John Lee on 08/11/2015 18:51:42

Posted by Percy Verance on 08/11/2015 20:05:48:

That's good to hear John. It certainly looks the part. Will it be ok with paint applied?

The side panels also look very effective........

Which kit was/is this John, the Veron job?

Edited By Percy Verance on 08/11/2015 20:06:50

Thanks, I don't anticipate any problem with the paint Percy, I'll probably start with a dusting of metal primer.

No it's from the RBC kit at 1.2 meters span.

The CNC parts fit well and it looks pretty accurate but the kit leaves an awful lot to the imagination. It's probably my 8th or 9th Tiggy but the build left me wondering if the manufacturers ever tried making one from the kit. There are no instructions, just a photo and sketch montage and some of the illustrations do not correspond to the kit components; e.g. I found the center carbine assembly had a Catch 22 & was impossible to build as illustrated. That said I'm pleased with the result so far and as the weather deteriorates I'll pick up the build which has been on hold over the summer months.

Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 08/11/2015 16:21:19:

Geoff

I made the corrugations out of litho. Anneal the litho sheet and cut to size of the tank top, sides, bottom etc.

That's worth trying. I was thinking I'd have to mill a groove in a piece of hardwood. How do you anneal the lithoplate?

John Lee: That looks really good, John. I thought that, at 0.1mm it might be thin enough to bend round the curve of the tank. I'm going to try the corrugated card first and Lithoplate then perhaps some better 2mm cord (perhaps strimmer cord) but I have a feeling I'm going to go your route in the end.

Spent the day painting the pilot and other oddments. I also printed out a couple of instrument panels on photographic paper using the one published on this site. Not as good as a 3D one with properly simulated instruments but good enough for me.

Geoff

I received 10 sheets of Flame Red A4 sized corrugated card this morning and just 1 sheet has completed the job to my satisfaction. I manged to curve the card round both ends of the tank with just a little creasing. Not perfect but this is a sport scale model I'm building and just putting enough detail on to satisfy my moderate ambitions.

The corrugations are 2.5mm apart which results in about 40 across the width of the tank. That's very similar to the tank on the full size. I even manged to put some on the sides which is above and beyond for my purposes - I'll be counting rivets next! The only drawback is that the corrugations are across the sheet which means that it's not quite long enough to go right round the front. I was going to add a bit on but, in the end decided to paint the last bit. It's only visible if you turn the plane upside down. I used UHU Por, left to dry for 15 minutes, for a fairly rapid grab. The material is actual card rather than plastic so I applied a coat of Wilko's water-based varnish for better durability. No paint needed as the colour is almost a perfect match for the rest of the red bits.

The card was very cheap - £3.50 for 10 sheets posted. I'll keep 4 for future use so I have 5 spare for anyone who needs it. I'd appreciate a suitable envelope because I don't have any A4 but that's all.

Now on to the rib stitching. Fortunately all the photos II have seem to show plain, rather than pinked edged, rib tape so that should be easy. I think I'll cheat a bit by only fitting stitching under the tapes on the tops of the wings and the tail.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 10/11/2015 19:57:19:

Now on to the rib stitching. Fortunately all the photos II have seem to show plain, rather than pinked edged, rib tape so that should be easy. I think I'll cheat a bit by only fitting stitching under the tapes on the tops of the wings and the tail.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Geoff

Hi Geoff

I recently had a flight in a Tiger Moth. I was amazed at just how inconspicuous the tapes and the stitching was. In fact, the stitching wasn't noticeable on the full size and would be invisible on anything less than 1/3 scale. Not sure how typical that is, you really need to check your own prototype.

M

Posted by Percy Verance on 11/11/2015 13:38:28:

Glad you got sorted Geoff........ yes

Yes, thanks to you again I never thought of corrugated card. In fact I didn't know it even existed until you mentioned having bought some from Asda so I searched eBay..

Martyn I see aTiger Moth regularly over our flying field. Unfortunately (or fortunately if we're flying) it's at , or should be at, over 1600' AGL so even with my super vision I can't see the rib tapes clearly

The photos I've got of G-ACDC certainly show both the stitching and tape quite clearly. I took a few photos of it (not enough!) when I saw it at Stowe Maries a couple of years ago. I think I'll perservere because, if nothing else, it adds a bit to the model. I'm not really a scale builder but I'm going a bit further with this one than I usually do. It's still only a sport model, though.

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I also used strimmer line to make the corrugations on my 1/4 scale Tiggie. Each piece of line was cyanoed on, after carefully spacing it to it's neighbouring piece, and the finished tank looks good - though perhaps a little heavy, which makes no difference to the big Tiggie. (I use ASP180 FS engines on my 3 Tiggies)