What To Do If You Lose Your Field?

Advert

Percy,

I think many clubs dont really grasp the going rent for farmland. Proper rent results in a proper contract and some stability. For the farmer, sheep grazing is worth 20p per sheep per week and for a flock of say 200, is £1000 a year for just 6 months. Add the summer hay value and your near £3000 income per acre.

It does make my smile when people bulk at paying say £100 a year for unlimited access site yet then buy an ARTF worth twice that.

To buy a site , your into the hundreds of thousands ! My dads club tried that with £60k set aside. The open remote field in rural devon went for £250,000.

There are obviously variation of the cost of UK farmland, where Scotland is 47% of the cost of the UK Average.

Farm land in the UK continued to outpace supply in the final six months of 2014, with land prices rising by 8.3% over the year, the latest data shows.

That took the average price per acre to over £10,067, a record high for 11 months in a row, according to the latest RICS/RAU Rural Land Market Survey. During the same period in 2013 an acre cost, on average, £9,294.

The charges for rental are quoted as follows

According to surveyors, average arable land rents in Scotland remained relatively flat in the second half of 2014 at £85 per acre, behind the national average of £158 per acre.

The full article is here

You will find many similar pieces of journalism by undertaking a web search.

One of my clubs tried to purchase a field for us, after the club had a very large sum of money made available. What was found was that buying a single or couple of fields is far easier to talk about than achieve. We found that large parcels were available, some distances from our location, there were non near to us. We tried to gain additional corporation from local farmers on the basis that we would enter into agreement, where the surrounding area to the landing strip would be available for their sillaging at zero charge. Still no land was found.

But £250, 000 per acre would seem a tad high.

If your old landlord would rent you your old site at £2000 pa and it was a good site then get the rest of your club together ,the ones who don't cause trouble and get back in. If only 20 of you started it off that would only be £100 pa + your BMFA . A bargain at just over £2.50 a week. Not even the cost of a pint. Recruit a few more members say up to 60 and your down to £33 ish a year . Go for it and keep your club alive. The mower etc will all get sorted over time.

Best wishes and hope your club continues .

At one of the clubs I belong to the strip measures 65m X 25m and costs us just under £2K per year (the strip sits in the middle of a field of approx 6.5 acres.) The farmer uses the rest of the field either to graze his sheep (we have to cordon of the strip with electrical fencing for a few weeks a year ) and for hay , which grows to about knee high and. (no fun suffering from hayfever when the pollen is up!)

Best of luck Percy! (ps advice from BMFA was pretty instrumental in us securing planning permission)

Edited By Tomtom39 on 23/11/2015 16:28:51

Looking at potential new sites a couple of years back, I spotted a tractor cutting silge. I spoke with the driver thinking he would be the landowner.. however it turned out he was renting the land for the crop only..

He was paying £80 per acre per year.. he was renting 12acres off the owner, he didnt mind telling all of this as it was his last year renting the land. I opted not to pursue the owner as on investigation is was a little near other properties and a new footballers property...

£80 per acre per year.. WOW!

EG

I just supplied information with respect what appears to be the current market. If you want to, you use it as a guide to how good a deal you have, or maybe what a good deal feels like.

An example is our club who works around the farmers sillaging and cattle requirements, for our arrangements.

Yet from a club perspective the real problem is finding a farmer that wants to sell a single field, as most farmers want to acquire land. Partly to enable them to produce more, just as importantly, as land is no longer made, and the population increases, interest rates are low, they know they can always sell the farm and be quids in.