What To Do If You Lose Your Field?

Advert

One of the clubs I am a member of is facing the possibility of the field it has used since 1986 being subject to a change of use in that a study is being undertaken by the local authority into creating a Football Association "Hub" on the site if that happens or not remains to be seen and if it does what the exact ramifications would be are still very hazy (all the information available at the moment is all "blue sky" postulation from the FA, but at least the Council made contact with us and have gathered our initial responses to the proposal

Curiously I have emailed Andy Symonds twice about this but not received any reply so it looks like we are on our own with no support from the BMFA

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 19/11/2015 20:24:04:

Curiously I have emailed Andy Symonds twice about this but not received any reply so it looks like we are on our own with no support from the BMFA

Posted by Percy on 19/11/2015 20:24:04:

Sadly Dave, that's also been my experience of e mailing the BMFA too.

We lost our main slope, a site the club had used for decades and which had been used for model gliders since before WW2. The amount of effort the BMFA put in on our behalf was astonishing, many thought it was a lost cause but the BMFA made such a commitment in legal backing that the tennant eventually backed down and not only are we back, we are back amicably with his full agreement. Andy is very easy to get hold of, he's on every RC forum and there is no more dedicated a bloke when it comes to club welfare.

Cheers
Phil

Posted by Percy Verance on 19/11/2015 20:27:57:

Sadly Dave, that's also been my experience of e mailing the BMFA too. Not a single reply after three different e mails on three separate occasions. They did answer the phone when I rang regarding a membership issue though.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/11/2015 20:35:04

Hi Percy Verance / Dave Hopkin Rather than email the BMFA why not pick up the phone . As you say they answered you when you rsng them The email may have evaporated into the ether . I have contacted Andy Symons on two occasions on behalf of our club and have received help and advice both times. One thing they can't change though is that if the land owner doesn't want you there any longer then that's that, although they will still work very hard on your behalf . The council however that DaveHopkin is dealing with is a different Issue altogether and they may be able to sort thing with the council as model flying IS a registered sport. As for the £1000 a year rent we have to pay £2000 and its well worth it.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 19/11/2015 23:24:49

Many clubs are 'walking on eggshells' when it comes to retaining their fields and it's an issue that holds back the advancement of the hobby. I'm very envious of clubs that own their field and are able to improve facilities without having to go cap in hand and plead with a land owner for permission to perform what are often very trivial maintenance tasks or improvements. Believe me, I've been there!

As for what to do when a club loses its field? Circumstances differ and will depend on where you are in the UK, but I must say that modellers may need to be a little  more realistic when it comes to rental costs. I don't know how many members are in the club mentioned in the OP, but unless there's only a handful of people, then £1000 is really nothing. You almost certainly pay far more in fuel and car running costs just getting to your field or buying a monthly modelling mag, than what it costs you to use it via your club sub. Money talks, and being able to offer a realistic sum to a farmer or other land owner will certainly give leverage in negotiations.

The luxury of having a field right on your doorstep may also be a thing of the past considering the issues of finding both somewhere that is suitable for a wide variety of models and will not upset nearby residents.

Edited By Cuban8 on 20/11/2015 08:21:05

Our club lost its field about 4 years ago and it took 6months to find a field that we could rent. Sadly we then lost half a dozen members as 'it was too far to travel' (only 4 miles further for most) this causes the worry of having enough members to pay the rent which is more than twice the previous site.

I would suggest that if they are thinking of paying 1000 for a new field then consider offering the current owner at least that to continue. It is just possible that it's only money and even possible a rival club has offered more!

It might seem a good idea to take the gates and fences away from the lost field but I wonder what the legal situation is? Taking them away might also jeopodize any future deals with this owner or other farmers. .

One of my club fields has similar restrictions Mike, different reasons.

Adopting the measures you seem to have adopted, there has rarely been an issue of a model landing out of bounds. When they have the consequences do not necessarily the same high probability of there being a financial loss.

It does seem wrong that it is possible to set up solar panels etc., when there is a long serving tenant or owner whose activities are interfered with, without having to financially recompense those affected. This would enable them to relocate or take other measures to allow them to continue their activities.

Yet with a population that has grown from approx. 52 million in the early 60s, to +62 million today, Somewhere in the region of +20%, all the country side is at risk from housing and whilst attractive subsidies exist renewal energies of all types. I guess we just have to live with it, as long as we can.

We've spent nearly a year under the cloud of potentially losing our flying field. The owners wanted to allow a Solar Panel firm to build a solar panel farm on the land. We took expert advice from independent experts and from the BMFA. Luckily for us, the Government withdrew the subsidies for the solar panels and the company decided not to proceed. (We've no idea what other problems contributed to that decision so there may be other factors.)

The BMFA helped us and were easy to contact but now I see that Andy has been off which contributed to the delay. We've now negotiated a lease with the site owners so we've got to keep our fingers crossed that they don't come up with another idea to use the land. Both Manny and Andy gave us help and support so we're very pleased with their efforts. The lease has got a 'get out' clause but it was that or nothing.

We struggled to find any other land to fly over but we are in a densely populated area near London so there is hardly a field anywhere that hasn't got a house near it.

Edited By Bucksboy on 20/11/2015 16:57:44

My view would be in order to save the field and club that the majority of members chuck out those who had offended and 'burnt bridges' with the landowner! Better a smaller club with a field than a large club with no field. Those who offended one landowner are just as likely to do it again.

Posted by Mowerman on 20/11/2015 10:31:56:

Our club lost its field about 4 years ago and it took 6months to find a field that we could rent. Sadly we then lost half a dozen members as 'it was too far to travel' (only 4 miles further for most) this causes the worry of having enough members to pay the rent which is more than twice the previous site.

As Roy will remember,we advertised in a regional newspaper and had several good offers but it was decided that the distances were too far,up to 1hr 15 mins away so the offers were declined. This has always made me wonder if a club nearer could not have taken advantage, had they known about them. Also,i often think that were the BMFA to make a link with the NFU,then this might provide a bank of sites as i'm sure there must be farmers who know nothing about our activities but who would be happy for the extra income.

Andrew

It did strike me that a number of clubs appear to have had problems with retaining their fields, I guess over a few years, that is hopefully. rather than in the recent past.

Andrews idea, is a good one , as so would be building a relationship with the NT (National Trust) to gain access to their land.

This general idea would be far more useful and productive to the whole of the UK (excluding Scotland) from the view point of ordinary members than the efforts and finance which are being put into a National Flying Centre.

I have been fearful for some time, as I am aware that a few of the clubs in my area exist because they fly from locations that are no earthy use for house building and cost to much to turn into recreational areas for the locals.

I do sympathise with the concern with "Bird Sanctuaries" as I know that one local club with one so called Warden appointed by a local council Quango who locked the gates to their field and arbitrarily banned flying. In reality one of my clubs flew adjacent to a Sanctuary, It may surprise some of the conversationalists, in that birds, very quickly work out a threat from something to be safely ignored. There is an educational issue here with many bodies from the RSPB to the NT.

I do think that the specific issue and the general issue is one that the BMFA needs to be abreast of and be pro-active in securing existing sites and identifying potential sites. This would do far more for the future of aeromodelling than grandiose schemes for a NFC and its obsessive pursuit of safety and award schemes. They are very useful, but in many ways are a blinkered view of securing a responsible future for our hobby/sport, as important as they are. As you probably gather I am more concerned about securing fields nationally than a single NFC. If we had the resources to do both great, but I guess the BMFA has not this manpower.

Now this specific issue has been made public throughout a pretty broad section of the aeromodelling community, I would expect the BMFA to get in touch with the club, rather than wait to be contacted.