What To Do If You Lose Your Field?

Erfolg....that is another good idea regarding the NT and i agree that the premise of approaching land owning bodies such as the NT and the NFU would have far more benefit to ordinary members in their day to day flying,than a national flying centre.Also as in our own clubs case it would be useful for the BMFA to be able to pass on details of refused sites to other clubs.

Andrew

Advert

The NT already allows us to fly gliders on its land. I would be wary of jeopardising that privilege by pushing for powered flight. Farming land is usually bereft of Joe Public, so an NFU dialogue is a good idea. On the other hand NT land by its very nature is there for the public to wander around and enjoy, if we attract the attention of the visiting townies, it could well go badly wrong for the existing agreement.

JMHO

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 21/11/2015 00:41:41

Percy

I do intend to approach the BMFA on this issue, particularly when i have some more time, to commit to the concept. Until the middle of this week I was moving house. Now the process restarts, which takes much of my time at present.

With respect to NT, it is perhaps considering one of my clubs. It has operated on both Local Authority Park Recreational Area and what is now NT land. The NT flying field, which we now only use, originally belonged to a large estate, part of a Manorial House. Access was obtained to the land via Local Farmers and the attitude of the titled owner of the estate towards the general public. At that time the club was principally a glider club, with occasional FF Power/Duration. When some RC Glider members started to fly power, it was decided by a club vote that IC engines would be prohibited, including FF (although running of small Diesels was as short as seconds to a couple of minutes). The reasons for this we were aware that the adjacent Bird Sanctuary, could arguably be disturbed by the noise, in addition to the the local farms. Since that time the estate has become part of the NT. The other aspect is that since that action was taken, the club is now virtually 100% electric power. We remain very conscious of noise and the NT.

I can understand the concerns with respects to the NT, as there has been reports in the national press that the NT is increasingly dominated by people whose interests are not focussed on Historic Houses. Indeed some of these have reported that the hierarchy having more of a political agenda, where facts are less important than ideology of there believes system.

Yet, the NT, are very big landowners, of often open park and farm lands. Even if establishing a good working relationship with them may be difficult , on a broad front, it is potentially a way forward for the future of the hobby. You never know, the press could be entirely wrong.smiley

With respect to both the NT and the NFU for us is a selling issue. Why should they allow us access to their land.

In the case of  access,  to the NT properties it iis potentially easier to make. In that the NT has charity status, which i guess is on the basis of providing access to the broad spectrum of the UK population, in addition supporting the national art treasures. Many of the BMFA membership will also be members of the NT.

Which still begs the question, why allow access to us. As an organisation the BMFA is socially inclusive and also has a educational aspect to the movement. As an organisation we cater for all ages and backgrounds. Further to this, we welcome the public to both watch and join us.

The perceived down side is that IC models are in general intrusive with respect to noise generation. There is also an aspect of potential danger to all, if risks are not managed. Both must continue to managed with consideration to the environment with respect to noise and potential physical disturbance, where maintaining safety is a given, as a component of what we do.

The plus is that there are examples where we modellers are already operating on both NT property and in other public places. These can be examples of a good partner making use of public type assets, for the benefit of all.

Edited By Erfolg on 21/11/2015 13:07:39

If I were one of the 'ordinary' members of that club I would be approaching the existing landowner and say " what would you say to a club without Mr X continuing" Then if the answer was "OK " I would bring the answer up at the AGM and see what the other members want to do - continue without Mr X or not. If not start your own rival club at the old field if that is at all possible. ( Obviously it is easier if you continue the existing club and use the funds available, but it's not impossible to start from scratch)

Aeromodelling cannot afford to lose a good field just because of the attitude of one or two people. So maybe the answer is for an existing rival club to try to acquire the site as an extra field!

KC

I principle I totally agree with your general thrust.

In this instance, we have no idea what the issue/issues are.

Although I would tend to agree, if practically possible, build bridges and then be prepared with more than ruffled feathers, some of very strong feelings emerging if successful or not.

Percy.....because of your enthusiasm i will email the BMFA. Sorry for the late reply but i'm awaiting an operation and i have good days and bad days,sadly today was one of the latter.Also could someone please help with the correct email addresses. I know they are in the BMFA news but my wife has "tidied" it away.

Many Thanks

Andrew

I don't mean to be difficult but £2k rent is pretty cheap for a club field rent especially if the set up works well for you.

As for the contact with the NFU , thats a no brainer and something I've been doing for years but you must be prepared to pay going rent to have access to a site.

£10k per annum is not unreasonable for a 2 acre site .