Preparing for the 2016 Mass Build

Why is it too serious? We are just trying to sort out the things that are not understood by new scratch builders. Craig has asked the questions that many first timers would ask. I have been more than happy to answer where I can. There are lots of areas in a plan build that rely on previous experience - easy if you have done it many times, if you haven't just a little bit of info helps it make sense.

Ask again in January or whenever Craig!

Advert

Sorry guys - I didn't mean to give the impression I was telling anyone off - as if I would wink 2

Its just I'm a little bit concerned to be sure we are not actually putting off any trepidatious beginners by being a bit too technical at times. I'm as guilty as anyone I agree! But I just don't want us to give the impression that this build is going to be terribly difficult - that's all.

When we talk in abstract terms of visualising things some folks find that very challenging. But the same people, once they have the 3D wood in their hands and a few photos to look at, steam ahead no problem. I just don't want to scare them off before we actually get to the practical "hands on" aspect of the build itself that's all!

BEB

Thanks BEB, that's exactly what I meant. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Maybe some build threads should start (even though apparently making ribs is not 'technically' building), where questions and suggestions can be made in an appropriate way instead of being technical about things on the thread that is supposed to be about the preparation not the actual building/fabricating side of the build.

AVC

The weight of the cut out solid balsa parts for fin, rudder, tailplane and elevator is 65 grams ( 2.3 ounces ) Shaped as per plan but not yet rounded on edges or tapered to rudder thickness. Elevator also has not yet had the 'V' cut removed as it's easier to put the elevator joiner in whilst both elevator parts are still in one continuous piece. V cutout is made after joiner inserted and hinges slots are cut.

For reference the full 4 inch by 36 sheet of 1/4 balsa weighed 60 grams. An extra bit was used for elevator. This was a good sheet of balsa for the job - light ( about 7 lbs /cu ft ) but really stiff.

So AVC what does your builtup fin, rudder, tailplane & elevator weigh in comparison?

Definitely count me in John - I've decided to cut my own parts in the spirit of a true plan build however I've tried to get the wood ordered from SLEC over the weekend using kc's shopping list, but there seems to be a problem with their site ? Will persevere tomorrow have to build a home for that Saito - will be looking for a good few pointers along the way though !!

Whatgoesup, I also found SLEC website is down at the moment. Hope it's repaired soon!

Anyway remember my estimate is just approximate! If you buy by post it's probably better to order an extra sheet of each size balsa just in case, as it will be just as cheap as an extra lot of postage if you need to order extra a bit later. Extra balsa is always going to come in handy.

Posted by kc on 13/12/2015 14:14:35:

AVC

The weight of the cut out solid balsa parts for fin, rudder, tailplane and elevator is 65 grams ( 2.3 ounces ) Shaped as per plan but not yet rounded on edges or tapered to rudder thickness. Elevator also has not yet had the 'V' cut removed as it's easier to put the elevator joiner in whilst both elevator parts are still in one continuous piece. V cutout is made after joiner inserted and hinges slots are cut.

For reference the full 4 inch by 36 sheet of 1/4 balsa weighed 60 grams. An extra bit was used for elevator. This was a good sheet of balsa for the job - light ( about 7 lbs /cu ft ) but really stiff.

So AVC what does your builtup fin, rudder, tailplane & elevator weigh in comparison?

Hi KC.

We'll I still don't know, I haven't started the building yet (I'm a good guy and will wait until January wink)

I'll let you know as soon as I have it built. I don't think it will beat these 65 grams though, and if so does, it won't be for a big margin...

Posted by kc on 13/12/2015 14:14:35:

AVC

That's a good idea about cutting an elevator as one piece and fitting the joiner before making the V cut. I've always found it a bit of a struggle to get both halves flat when fitting the joiner.

I think I'll make a built-up tail as well but possibly have a solid elevator. It may be hard to beat your 65 grams, though. However, even 0.5 grams at the tail can be more significant at the nose (4 times? I haven't measured it)

I've had to buy a motor and esc. The ones I had in stock are either too big (G46) or too small. I went with an SK3 4240 740kv and a Plush 60 amp esc. I'll prop to deliver about 100w/lb ie about 500 watts

Geoff

I am lazy. They are just rounded.

You see I bought a fancy sanding block from the USA which has a 90 degree V, a 1/4 diameter semicircle and about a 3/4" semicircle shape.

So I just take off the corners and hit the hinge line with the V and the rest with the 1/4 semicircle and the job is done. Wing leading edges get the bigger semicricle.

Told I was lazy!!

Guys. Can I ask another newbie question please?I've been looking at the plan again to get it round my head. I'm fully confident on the fuse build as I feel that poses no real problems "or so I hope" and after asking about the trails g edge I now understand that. But after thinking, I can't figure out the landing gear? I'm sure the experienced will read the plan lb and fully understand, but im not experienced. So, my question is, the ply strip for the landing gear, is that covered with the lower sheeting or does the sheeting stop then it gets to the ply strip? As far as I can see on the plan, it dosent show is the sheeting stops or covers the ply strip?

CRaig. Have you read the instructions for building the wing? You pin the lower sheet down and then lay the undercarriage mount on top of it but do not glue it to the sheet at this stage.. Then then fit the ribs to the spars and raise the mount and glue it intco the slots in the ribs.

When raising the lower sheet to glue it to the ribs and leading edge you run glue between the sheet and mount. I use Superphatic glue for this.

Later you cut away the sheet over the slot for the wire. and also make cutputs for the nylon saddles.

You will find that there are a lot of extra pitcures showng the construction here

When studying any plan one needs to look at all available views and pictures. In this case there is not an actual cross section of the wing at the U/C mount however the clues are that the slots in the ribs are 1/4" deep and the undercarriage mount is two laminations of 1/8" ply. This means that the mount must fit flush with the ribs so the sheet would have to go over it.

I tell you this so that you will understand how to look at a plan and work out how and where things go because when building from future plans there may not be any photos or instructions to help

Ordered the full monty from myhobbystore Sunday morning, Monday 10.00 had confirmation email that wood packs had been shipped and at 13.30 had confirmation that the plan had been shipped. Tuesday morning 10.00 postie dropped the plans through the letterbox then at 12.30 a nice delivery lady dropped off the wood packs. Can't fault that service yes.

20151215_131138.jpg

It is virtually flat in the U/C plate area, a fraction of shaping would be perfection. If iobe was really being perfectionits and could put a layer of 1/32" balsa in for the shaping but I find that just flowing Superphatic in works well.

When one cuts the sheet away in the slot area oen can insert some glue into any slight gap.