Preparing for the 2016 Mass Build

Kc, I agree with your analysis, and I know that with this little tail and short tail moment, the effect of the difference in weight (if any) will be minimal. I'll do it that way just because I like open structures.

Having said that, let's do the test: I'll weight the tail group once built, and we will compare with your solid one, ok?thumbs up

Advert

Peter advised ( as I expected ) that1/16 ply is the stuff for templates. But of course many people won't have 1/16 in stock as it's not used in Ballerina. Simply laminating two layers of 1/32 will produce 1/16 though. ( obvious but you dont't always think of the simple solution )

Using thicker ply is possible but you get the chance of something similar to parallax when you run the knife around. Thinning the edges works better if you have to use 3mm or 1/8 ply. Nicer to work with thinner ply though.

It's not just weight with built up surfaces. Correctly arranged and especially if curves are laminated, they will be stronger and more resilient than sheet surfaces because the grain of the wood can be aligned better with the stresses.

Besides they often be made from offcuts and can be much fun to do.

Posted by Peter Miller on 11/12/2015 08:22:06:

I use 1/16" ply. It won't change shape because you are cutting round it and you have to be pretty cack handed to carve lumps of ply off over 20 odd ribs.

I'm cack-handed in the extreme My ally Limbo rib template is stored in a lever arch file along with the Limbo kit instructions (my plan-built one was built after I destroyed a kit-built one ) My bandsaw cuts an ally template as easily as a wooden one.

Your comments about the built-up tail are very welcome and very wise. I'm sure it won't make much difference in weight but it will look nicer and that's also part of the exercise. We must be bothered about appearance, I guess, or we would fit neither pilot nor windscreen or have a fancy covering scheme either. Never the less it will be interesting to see just what the difference is. I have been known to insert a hardwood strip in a soft balsa tail plane because I lacked confidence it would be stiff and strong enough without it. Again, probably unnecessary.

Geoff

Having fun is what we do it for!

But we are getting carried away here.....all this modification is for the experienced builders. Novices should stick to solid tail surfaces.

There is a saying that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" so I think Peter should consider " customisation is the sincerest form of aeromodelling flattery" as the principle here.

However with so many building the same model the comparison between various weights will provide useful data. I expect the best solid tail will be pretty near the weight of the builtup version while the worst solid one will be twice as heavy. But they will all fly well.

The trailing edge is made up from two strips of 1/16" sheet, one above the ribs one below. These joun right on the end of the ribs.

You then shape the strip of 1/8" X 3/8" balsa to a trailing edge section and join it on to the wing where the two aofore mentioned sheet ends.

As an alternaive ypou can make the trailing edge 1/16" sheet 3/8" wider and shape a chamfer and join them lined up with the rear of the winv. Much harder to do a neat job. |I think I explained this somehwere else but here it is again.

Actually if you look at the section on the plan where it says "Section at bellcfrank" it shows it very clearly. That particular bit of the plan is right at the left of the wing

I hope that that will make itclear

To be honest, I've been following this thread for a little while now and I thought making the ribs was 'building' but I also don't want to be the fun police either.

The other thing I have thought was that this MB is also starting to get a bit too serious.

Posted by Rosco on 11/12/2015 21:06:12:

The other thing I have thought was that this MB is also starting to get a bit too serious.

I'm with you on that one! But don't worry too much - everyone is sitting there with itchy scalpel fingers! Once the build proper starts and we start cutting bits of wood and gluing them together things will lighten up! smile

BEB

Guess I've been told off. 🙄 Well rest assured no more progress in cutting parts will be made. Today was my last bit of free time, the rest of the month will be taken up with a heavy work load and young kids. Roll on January when we can all get stuck in. 🙃🙃🙃😇😇😇😋😋😋

Edited By Craig thomas 1 on 11/12/2015 21:49:32