Highside Glider

Lindsay Todd

Well I mentioned in my Owlet blog that a new design was on the go and was something a little different for me. Well I guess it is time to go public and gauge a reaction. I have not built or designed a glider since I was about 12 years old so I guess it was a bit overdue and with a Brother In Law who is an rc glider enthusiast then I was getting a little flack to do something.

My aim was to come up with a straight forward design to build that had a believable look about it and could be used primarily for slope soaring and potential to add a power set up later if I felt the urge. It should be compact and capable of some aerobatics and operate in general flying conditions if there is such a thing and of course that will only been born out once I get round to the flying bit.

I have used my own compromise wing section that hopefully gives appropriate performance for general flying.

Enough waffle so here it is, at least the basic design

highside.jpg

The model is all basic balsa construction, the fuz a box with sheet nose and lattice frame rear, broad wing, mid wing layout at 56inch span so reasonably compact.

Work has been on going so this will be a retrospective blog as she is now largely constructed and looks like this

s3010018.jpgs3010021.jpgThe fuselage carries two standard size servos with plenty of space for RX and flight pack, strip ailerons 38mm wide so should be capable of crisp response. Hoping to get this finished and airborne asap. Thoughts and comment please as usual. Linds

Advert

hello lindsay...very nice -it looks like a one i'm flying from LE gliders..... the guppy.....quick get a plan in the mag for it-for the problem with obtaining the guppy is it has to come all the way from kansas/USA.here's the photo from my album...

ken anderson...ne...1 guppy fan club dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 19/12/2015 17:38:02

Hi Guys, it was a conscious decision to avoid a taper just to keep the build very simple if we get as far as a published design but duly noted for the tips which were largely driven by aesthetics over maximum efficiency. The fuz is deep enough to carry additional ballast and that was indeed a design consideration. The Le Fish was certainly one of those models that I like the shape of and was certainly in the mixing pot but not intended to be such an extreme aerobatic design. I guess this is aimed at the transition from novice arena but I need to see how she performs probably in the hands of a few slope guys as well as my own experience is limited so a trip to the Orme will be schedule once she's ready and a few bodies are around and we'll have a 'pass the tranny session' and see what everyone thinks. Linds

Hi Matt, I new somebody would ask me that and in absolute truth it is completely of my own making. It is actually my Zulu E design section that has been thinned and stretch with just the slightest hint of reflex. Given this I totally accept that I could have gone with an established section and that would have been the safer option but me being me I like to do things my way so if it turns out to be rubbish then I can only blame myself but I am reasonably satisfied that the logic re performance expectation is sound enough so as with all designs the truth will bear out in the end.

Looks a bit like a stubby mini-Voltij

voltij _2.jpg

But then again design shapes do tend to come round again -

petrel_1.jpg

A design of mine circa 1980-84

petrel_2.jpg

About 76" span but designed to pack away for holidays. Flaperons via 1 fixed & 1 sliding servo in the fuselage - no mini servos or programmable Tx's back then.

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 21/12/2015 09:37:44:

I'm following this thread too thumbs up. As mentioned before, this is very similar looking to the Le Fish, Guppy, Traceur and many of the Swiss Fish type VTPR designs. In the new year I fancy buying one of these, which is made from depron with a 120mm span, I think.

astix.jpg

Steve

A470soaring

120mm span, you'll have to keep that close in wink

An afternoon of covering and she now looks like this

s3050002.jpg

s3050001.jpg

I think another couple of hours to fit control horns and connect up linkages and she will be ready to hit the slopes, not literally I hope. The site closest to me is probably Great Orme so hopefully later this week I might get wind under her wings. Linds

Posted by Lindsay Todd on 27/12/2015 17:24:12:

I think another couple of hours to fit control horns and connect up linkages and she will be ready to hit the slopes, not literally I hope. The site closest to me is probably Great Orme so hopefully later this week I might get wind under her wings. Linds

Not with SE winds! Pop over to Cheshire/Derbyshire (LMMGA) for a test fly?

Well she is all finished and ready for a maiden flight, just need to find a suitable location and wind direction. I have chosen to install my not so old Futaba 35meg PCM gear which has been used only occasionally over the last couple of years so installed a new battery and seems a quite logical choice in some ways to use this perfectly serviceable radio and saves splashing out on another receiver just at the moment. Just seems a bit odd having that long aerial to deal with but can be neatly taped to the underside. Itching to fly her now.

Cheers Stephen, you know me by now always a project or two on the go to keep me out of mischief.

Time to start the actual build blog which I will keep pretty basic really as much should be self evident from the photos but will try to clarify anything specific. As with any build you start with an idea in your mind and change things during the build even more so when incorporating a new design as well. The major change with this model relates to the decision to move from the original concept of a one piece model incorporating the wing (bad idea in reality) which obviously changed to have a removable one piece and therefore impacted on a few aspects the main ones being the wing section cut out in the fuselage not needing the trailing edge to be completely cut out and former F2 having a design change to incorporate twin dowel fixing holes. Other than that things stayed pretty much as per original concept.

I made a start with something really simply in the form of the tail plane or horizontal stabiliser as some call it. This is made from 6mm medium to hard density balsa cut to strip width for leading and trailing edges which are pinned down over the plan. To add strength I also added a spruce 6mm square spare that is glued to the inside edge of the leading edge. The centre region is reinforced with 6mm sheet section.

s2760006.jpg

Bridging lengths of 6mm square balsa and end sections from 6mm sheet are then added

s2760007.jpg

6mm square balsa diagonals complete the structure. The elevators are built in one unit and will be separated later and follow exactly the same principles of construction

s2760008.jpg

Sand the elevator to a taper down to 2-3mm at the trailing edge and then add 1mm ply facings top and bottom of the elevators, these are to add strength for the 3mm piano wire joiner that I will add before cutting away the balsa connecting piece and firm fixing for the control horn. Once dry a 3mm piano wire can be cut to size, holes drilled and a rebate slot cut in the leading edge so the piano wire is flush to the leading edge, the wire can then be glued in place with epoxy (leaving the area to be cut away free from glue) and left to dry flat on the bench, when dry the balsa connection between elevator halves can be cut away.

s2780006.jpg With that done we can make a start on the fuselage starting with the 6mm sheet forward area. Cut to shape taking particular care with the wing section cut out. I did this by tracing from the plan and using pins to mark the shape before cutting out with a scalpel. Note the photo shows the full section but this should now not extend to the full trailing edge of the wing but should stop short, Do not cut through the sides at this stage for the area that will be fixed to the wing as we will do this later and will make alignment easier. The cockpit area does need to be cut free.

s2780001.jpg

Next job is to add the rear lattice frames to each side. This is done over the plan securing 6mm square medium balsa that has been well soaked to allow it to bend easily and then pinned in position. Use off cuts to assist particularly at the tail to maintain the flat area that the tail will be glued onto.

s2780008.jpg

Add the 6mm balsa spacer at the tail end and then add the lower longeron using the same process

s2780011.jpg

Add the vertical and diagonal braces again from 6mm square medium balsa. When dry repeat to produce a 2nd identical fuselage side.

s2790004.jpg

Next is to add more 6mm square to the lower edge of the fuselage from the front back to form F3 position so that it overlaps the rear longeron. Add a further 6mm square balsa aligned to the top edge of the canopy cut spanning the full length of the sheeted area. When done make up a second mirror image fuselage side.

s2790008.jpg

We can now position and glue formers F1, F2 (note now modified to incorporate twin dowel fixing) and F3

• 2 weeks later...

bit more on the build

2nd fuz side now added and weighted till dry. Also add some triangular balsa to the former joints for strength

s2810001.jpg

Once dry and to get some stiffness and prevent warps add the 3mm balsa sheeting to the underside from former F3 forward to F1.

s2810005.jpg

When done added 3mm balsa sheeting to the top of the nose area.

s2820004.jpg

Next job was to add the rear formers down the fuselage again cut from 3mm liteply also glued the fuselage end together and added a small wedge of 6mm sheet to the tail support area

s2820001.jpg

Next added further 3mm sheeting to the top rear fuselage from former F3 back to the tail plane seat. also marked the centreline and position for the fin to slot in between formers at the rear

s2830001.jpg

Linds