Permagrit - which block length?

Advert

I also use the 250mm block for most work; I also have a selection of round, square and flat 'files', a couple of the tubular 'files' and a flexible metal sanding strip. FYI, I finally found something that wrecks Permagrit tools, I used my square 'file' to notch some ceramic tiles and it took the grit off the tool - it did do the required job on the tile though!

The one best suited to the job in hand is the right answer. I use the wedge shaped 150mm one most of the time but the longer 280mm one is invaluable for finishing wing leading edges. I suppose if I could only have one it would be the shorter one as it's the most convenient for most jobs.

As Bob says, they also make good iron rests I have a worn out short block that gets used for that - yes, they do wear out in time.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 03/01/2016 11:53:10:

I use the wedge shaped 150mm one most of the time but the longer 280mm one is invaluable for finishing wing leading edges.

Santa got me one of each of those. They are about to get "tested" later today smiley

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 03/01/2016 11:53:10:

I have a worn out short block that gets used for that - yes, they do wear out in time.

Did you know you can get (self adhesive) replacement sheets for the blocks? Oddly, I can't find them on the Permagrit site but they always seem to have them at the shows...might be worth a call?

I have used the replacement sheets on odd bits of angle alloy I have lying about, some handier wood off cuts too.. Made a great selection of sanding tools to suit my needs.

B&Q sell angle alloy, often have damaged alloy they throw out - or let you have it for pennies or less.. Its easy to make up your own tools this way.. bespoke to smaller / awkward jobs..

Cant dispute the Permagrits tools though, great to have in..