Completed Ballerina's Gallery

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice and easy to fly, good knife edge with next to no aileron or elevator needed to the left. My example needs trimming out some more as it screws out of outside loops, rolling to it's left through the bottom, maybe a balance issue or sidethrust? All it needed on the maiden was about 50% up trim for straight and level and a couple of clicks of right rudder for a vertical line on stall turns. For the second flight I moved the on-board glow battery back to the wing trailing edge which improved elevator response and reduced the up trim needed.

Posted by Peter Miller on 03/07/2016 12:55:20:

Hi Bob .

Nice to know that you are happy with her.

Possibly it screws out of outside loops because yu have a lot more power than mine..

devil You can't have too much Peter.

Well, ok you can. I did wonder whether changing the prop from 12*6 APC to a lighter wooden 13*5 might help with less gyroscopic force and torque effect coming in when I open the taps at the bottom of the loop.

• 1 month later...

Well, better late than never. I took my Ballerina up to the airfield intending to test fly it, but I decided discretion was the better part of valour after a flight with my 'warm up' model - Riot. It was quite windy and gusty, to boot. I did 2 or 3 touch and goes, some better than others but it wasn't a pleasant flight and I was alone so no-one to take in flight photos. So it was mostly a photographic session:

ballerina airfield 1.jpg

ballerina airfield 2.jpg

ballerina airfield 3.jpg

ballerina airfield 4.jpg

ballerina airfield 5.jpg

The fin, rudder, elevators and tailplane are all built up with laminated leading edges (except the fin). I made a mistake with the fin and fitted a piece of 6mm balsa at the bottom where it's mostly contained inside the tail side pieces with it's grain horizontal rather than vertical, which seemed reasonable. Unfortunately it meant the fin was very flexible and I lacked the courage of my convictions and braced the tail with closed loop wire attached to small brass brackets. I suspect the tail is still lighter than if it was made of solid sheet but even if not, I think the brace wires look quite cool as does the light shining through the surfaces.

Hoping for a successful test flight later this weekend.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 26/08/2016 15:13:54

Very nice, Geoff. Really looking good.

The tailplane flying wires give your bird a real 'Golden Age' look. You could have 'forgotten' to mention your mistake... wink

Your driver also looks very 'casual'. Taking off for some holidays, I guess.

Congrats & hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Holiday Control