What have I done ?

Steve Colman

Many times just recently I've made the journry to the club site only for the weather conditions (mostly the wind) to curtail flying activities after only a short while. So, I decided to explore some other possibilities provided by my surroundinds.

Nearby the flying field is this area

cb 3 copy.jpg

Got me thinking.........

Too much wind = No flying. Yes, I have a kite but what about something that isn't affected by the wind? Perhaps something that has wheels instead of wings ?

Upshot is, I got myself one of these

sioux 2 copy.jpg

Just a cheapie, and I can run it on 2S lipos of which I have a load. So problem of too much wind solved..................?

Well, yes and no! Now, I find myself looking at cars and buggies as well as planes and names such as Losi, Traxxas and Axial have been added to my vocabulary, along with many more temptations to part me with my money.

So, this got me thinking. What other ways do you amuse yourself after travelling to the field only to be presented with poor flying conditions?

Steve.

Edited By Steve Colman on 04/04/2016 13:19:41

Advert

I was tempted to build myself a model land yacht for windy days. I had a set of 1 metre rigs and a spare sail winch but somehow never got round to it. I've still got a set of sail rigs (masts and sails) but the only winches I have are installed in either my 1 metre Rhythm or my sailing barge hull that's crying out to be completed so it probably won't happen.

It could be fun if a few others built yachts and we raced on the tarmac. Much more appealing to me than cars and it's still aerodynamics - just horizontal rather than vertical. Fast, too.

Geoff

Geoff,

I've also dabbled with the idea of a land yacht. A young guy at work had one which he promised to show me but very shortly afterwards he left to go on a round the world trip with his girlfriend.

Hobby king have one called "The bat". I might revive the idea.

Steve.

Edited By Steve Colman on 05/04/2016 09:29:29

Posted by Ian Jones on 05/04/2016 18:31:45:

Not enough wind for sloping a glider then? wink 2

Hi Ian, when the wind is clearly too much for flying at the field, then yes, many of us go and do some slope soaring.

The problem arises when the conditions appear to be good for flying, only for them to deteriorate fairly briskly after arrival at the club field. Therefore, in essence, it's about having some fun once there in order to make the journey worthwhile.

Steve.

Posted by Steve Colman on 05/04/2016 09:25:44:

Geoff,

I've also dabbled with the idea of a land yacht. A young guy at work had one which he promised to show me but very shortly afterwards he left to go on a round the world trip with his girlfriend.

Blimey! must have been a big land yacht...

(only jesting)

Posted by Steve Colman on 05/04/2016 20:33:48:
Posted by Ian Jones on 05/04/2016 18:31:45:

Not enough wind for sloping a glider then? wink 2

Hi Ian, when the wind is clearly too much for flying at the field, then yes, many of us go and do some slope soaring.

The problem arises when the conditions appear to be good for flying, only for them to deteriorate fairly briskly after arrival at the club field. Therefore, in essence, it's about having some fun once there in order to make the journey worthwhile.

Steve.

Aha, I see.

• 2 weeks later...