LMA v BMFA insurance

Has anyone transferred from the BMFA to the LMA insurance scheme?

Looking at the main elements of the insurance, both are £25m cover and appear to be suitable for club flyers.

Im not into black tie dinners, relentlessly dull competitions or wasting money on white elephants so fancy a change to an association that focuses on flying.

Advert

I have both. Only for the fact that some fly-ins specify "A" or "B " certs and don't mention LMA proficiency test. I suppose I should ask!

This page my start you off. I could try and look out my LMA documents if you wish.

Edited By cymaz on 22/05/2016 07:37:53

I would have thought that if the insurance cover is the same then the clubs have no real valid reason to refuse anyone attending a fly in with LMA insurance, or any other type of insurance, instead.

Having said that it would mean that the clubs would have to catch up in order to allow the insurance offered by rival companies. Good luck with that; many clubs are still ruled by dinosaurs who have only just allowed foamies and 2.4GHz

Posted by John F on 22/05/2016 08:03:21:

Having said that it would mean that the clubs would have to catch up in order to allow the insurance offered by rival companies. Good luck with that; many clubs are still ruled by dinosaurs who have only just allowed foamies and 2.4GHz

That also might depend if the club is affiliated with the BMFA which provides extra cover on a club wide basis and also protects the club commitee members but is only available if all members are in the BMFA

Insurance cover is exactly the same in both organisations. They use the same company, contact and policy. As with any insurance, you can only make one claim.

As for the two organisations, well, they are very different, one has 36000 members and one has about 1100. As with most flyers, you can be in both and not have to take part in competitions, black tie dinners or anything else. Equally, you can make the most of both organisations.

As for fly-ins vs shows, you make a fair point about limited flying at shows Percy, especially the big ones, I've been to several fly-ins around the country, LMA Catton, Winterton and Ashbourne and at all of them I've done as much flying as if I were at my own club field.

At fly-ins you can use 35 and 2.4 and at LMA fly-ins you don't need a proficiency. At other fly-ins its up to the host club/organisers re. certification and or frequency.

Posted by bert baker on 22/05/2016 10:53:07:

I have always found it strange that the LMA do the over 20kg scheme and the BMFA don't have an equivalent.

If you read the BMFA handbook they don't exclude models over 20kg, but do say that models that all models of any size and weight are covered subject to compliance with CAA regulations, which means an exemption certificate for an over 20kg model, which the LMA administer. It's not likely that you would build a model of over 20kg and not be a member of the LMA.

Hi Percy, not sure I understand the reference to £900 DDU?

The big thing is, as Frank says, you can only be a member of a BMFA affiliated club if you are a BMFA member, as clubs can only affiliate if all their members are in the BMFA.

BMFA membership also provides club property insurance and committee indemnity cover, not sure about LMA.

TBH, for £30 (LMA) and £33 (BMFA) a year why not be in both associations.

Posted by The Wrinkled Prune on 23/05/2016 07:42:04:

Affiliation by both clubs means I have to be a member of BMFA . Feels like Ive joined the mafia.

not really you could

1. get the clubs to drop BMFA affliation and make it the members responsibility to provide adequate insurance, note the club will lose it's club (i.e. committee) indemnity protection if they do this.

2. find another club which doesn't require BMFA membership, or start your own.

3. get clubs to approach LMA about them providing same cover and support as provided by BMFA

must admit our club is BMFA affiliated but we have several members who are also in the LMA

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 23/05/2016 20:41:52

Posted by Percy Verance on 22/05/2016 09:20:11:

Chris, I actually wonder how many of those 36000 are BMFA members simply for the insurance, perhaps being unaware they can obtain £25 million worth of cover elsewhere at slightly less cost?

And no Chris, I'm not interested in either black tie dinners nor £900 digital display units to entertain participants in minority interests........

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/05/2016 09:35:37

I am one of those that is a BMFA member only for the insurance and unaware that I could get it elsewhere. I'm a country member who flies slope gliders. I have a choice of approx 15 slopes locally so I don't have one particular field/slope/area that I fly although all are within a one hour drive.

There are a few of us who fly together locally but not enough of us to warrant starting a club, but then we wouldn't want to form a club with all that goes with that anyway, and I think only two of us hold A Certs and one is going for his B Cert, but only because he flies powered also, and no one else is interested in gaining an A Cert.

So apart from the BMFA, is the only other place to get insurance the LMA? And do you have to join the LMA to get this insurance? And why would I want to join the LMA if I am not interested in flying large models? So I may as well stick with the BMFA.

Last November I wrote a cheque for £80 to cover both my club subs for the year and BMFA member ship and I consider that a bargain. If the difference between BMFA and LMA membership is only £3, why bother changing if you don't actually fly large models?

I suppose I must be a serial membership freak. I was in an ACU (Auto cycle Union) affiliated club when I was keen motor cyclist and an RYA (Royal Yachting Association) affiliated club when I was racing dinghies (btw if you think the BMFA is posh, try the RYA!). I'm a member of 3 cycle associations (Our local club, the Tandem Club and the CTC). All those organisations look after my interests at government level and it's penny pinching IMO to eschew them in the interests of a few quid which represents a tiny proportion of my hobby spend.

The only way any activity can have a hope of influencing government policy which affects its activity is by joining together and whilst the BMFA is far from perfect (what is?) it's the only show in town protecting model flying in all its forms. I'll continue to support it.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 23/05/2016 16:12:31:

Last November I wrote a cheque for £80 to cover both my club subs for the year and BMFA member ship and I consider that a bargain. If the difference between BMFA and LMA membership is only £3, why bother changing if you don't actually fly large models?

Right now I think most BMFA members agree with you, but some of us harbour concerns that the NFC project has the potential to have a significant impact on subs in the medium term. If that does come to bear and that £3 difference becomes £13 or even more it is likely a good percentage of members may take the decision to go elsewhere, especially those that are too far away to get any value from the NFC themselves.

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 23/05/2016 16:12:31:

The only way any activity can have a hope of influencing government policy which affects its activity is by joining together and whilst the BMFA is far from perfect (what is?) it's the only show in town protecting model flying in all its forms. I'll continue to support it

Sensible words, in my opinion. There is a strong competition representation on the executive and area councils but there are also grass roots modellers who have no agenda other than to support the health of the hobby. To dilute the effectiveness of the BMFA as our representative body (at least south of Gretna) for the sake of making a point and saving a small amount of money seems rather short sighted - far better to lobby your local representatives or even take an active part if you're worried about particular issues.

Is everyone that hard up that the difference of, lets say £5 increase in subs is enough to make people move away from an established organisation that works for the the hobby as a whole. Both LMA and BMFA have their own benefits.

You can be in an organisation and not be involved in the NFC, Nats or shows.

£30 a year, that's 63pence a week!!

Car insurance, house insurance, breakdown cover...if you never use it, then what a waste of money!

Fill your car with fuel and then not drive for a month...waste of money!

I know of people who buy a new car every 3 years but complain about the cost of a gallon of glow fuel...madness!!

You can be a member of one or both, or take your chances and attempt to find the equivalent cover from a third party, or not at all and really cross your fingers! 

CB

Edited By ChrisB on 23/05/2016 21:48:38

As a newbie to model flying and insured with BMFA

I am surprised that if BMFA and LMA are underwritten by the same company that one can be covered by both insurance policies to cover the same models.

Has anyone looked into the implications of having models covered by two insurance policies, what the difficulties might be in making a claim (we all hope it will never happen).

Regards JH