Essential RC's videos

I'll do something to the canopy frame or lower the camera. Not sure which...but it was getting annoying as lead jet was hidden by it quite frequently. I'm not seeing much difference between DJI O3 and Caddx Walksnail Avata FPV at the moment. The telemetry display in the latter looks better and that's what I've got in my A-10. Video of that soon.

Advert

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice video, benefit of electric setup in that P51, is that at least you have a spare motor for your washing machine!!!.. I like the fact it was wheeled out for take off, as taxi'ing out would have used 50% of the battery!!. Nice though.

I've had a few of these motors including a 50cc Rotomax and that had way more power than any 50cc IC engine, it was ballistic in a 60cc plane, it's as if they equated watts to horsepower and believed the IC manufacturers claims.

Never had any problems with any of them, good solid motors.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

That might be an advantage in a warbird!

In IC to electric conversions weight of the motor is rarely, if ever, an issue - except lack of it, sometimes. 

Posted (edited)

Most significant challenge with IC warbird conversions I have found is adding a tray for big lipos and making them easily accessible without needing to take the wing(s) off... and ruining the scheme with the modifications. I didn't see what Stuart had done to his P-51 for lipo access. Was hoping might see him and the P-51 at Old Warden next week but he's at Joe Nall at the moment so suspect that's unlikely.

Edited by Dom (Essential RC)

53 minutes ago, Adrian Smith 1 said:

But very heavy compared to it's contemporaries, Philip. I have had a 50 cc and 100cc Rotomax 🙁electric equivalent and while they go well they are nearly twice the weight of comparable rivals. 🙁

I totally agree but in the context of the planes I had mine in that was advantageous as the 50cc IC engines they were designed for weren't exactly light either so it actually helped. 

• Thanks 1

I bought the Hobby King one that they used (?) to sell a few years back, didn't enjoy it so it's sat at the back of my workshop gathering dust. Launching them requires a special knack, as you said in your vid!

• Like 1