Best Petrol Engine For An SLEC T240 - Advice Please Guys

Hi there, I'm relatively new to flying and progressing with my Club Instructor. Looking forward I want to build a larger model. I know I'm not ready to fly one yet and I have a simple build in progress right now which will be followed by a Glow powered Wot 4. I just bought the SLEC T240 Kit secondhand as a longer term project and fancy petrol power for this one . Any advice on the best value /size petrol motor ? DLE seem popular and plentiful, Os are desirable but expensive and so on. Any advice will be appreciated, many thanks, Reg

Advert

Posted by Mike T on 10/09/2016 22:30:42:

Coincidentally, I have a mate called Reg (also a pensioner) who built a T240 a few years ago. He fitted his with one of the ubiquitous 26cc petrols (either an SPE or RCGF). Flew just fine. Of course, four stroke petrols are nice to own - but horses for courses, eh?

Exactly.

Posted by Percy Verance on 11/09/2016 07:55:34:

Fair comment regarding petrol four strokes being nice to own.

It might also be as well to bare in mind that flying sites can be rather easy to lose these days. Just a single noise complaint to a local authority, and you're on the greasy pole...........

Edited By Percy Verance on 11/09/2016 07:56:40

I just don't like 2 stroke petrol's. 2 or 3 running up in the pits turns a once relaxing hobby into and area that if it was a place of work would require all personnel to wear ear defenders

As MattyB suggests , a NGH 30 fs would be great  as would a DLE 20 2s although the 2s options will need a decent silencer as supplied so called silencers simply don't silence. There are plenty of options to choose from but don't be tempted to go too big ; 20 to 30cc is plenty as the kit was originally designed for a 90 to 108 glow. Our club had one powered with a OS 90 fs used as a toffee bomber. It flew very well even with a kilo of sweets in the dropping box slung under the fuz. One thing that was a problem was overheating. The cowl is large and any air entering the cowl can very easily by-pass the engine allowing it to overheat. A little ducting inside the cowl sorted this. I made it from light ply and once fuel proofed it lasted for years. The T 240 is a very forgiving easy to fly first large model. I hope you enjoy.

• 3 years later...