Home made silencers

chris meek 1

Advert

i Have,

For a super 60 2 stroke it is one of my Mustangs and sounds like a four stroke when it`s running and Cos it is all hidden under the cowl know one knows it`s a two stroke un till i show them .

I`ll see i can take some pictures,

The key is to use thick Ali as that will help dampen the noise .

A thick walled tube blocked of at one end with a smaller tube with it .

Better still i`ll let the pictures do the explaining .

Pictures to follow then i`ll explain

Steve

Do you have machines Chris? On the Mossie I would checkn on the available space and then outlet angle. You should be able to make long silencers in those nacelles. If the angle is beyond my machine, I get Weston UK to build a silencer. If it is just a modification of the existing silencer, then tube is added to the middle,and a longer bolt put through, or a new exit box is fabricated from thick tube with a new outlet

"The key is to use thick Ali as that will help dampen the noise .

A thick walled tube blocked of at one end with a smaller tube with it ."

My dad made a few simple expansion chamber types using thick wall ali tube, exactly like that.

Ali discs were cut to block both ends. A flat was filed where the exhaust mounted on the tube. Mounting bolts went right through the thick wall tube. The outlet tube was stuck into the thick wall tube. IIRC the end inside the silencer was splayed slightly.

The whole lot was sealed up with 24 hr epoxy.

They long outlasted the original installation.

Alex Whittaker did a series of articles called Bespoke Silencing in RCME Dec 2003 to April 2004. This was about fabricating your own silencer.

My view is that unusual silencers can cause all sorts of engine problems and that is the last thing you need with a twin!

That was the sort of thing I was planning Jim, was thinking copper as easier to work with for me than Ali!! Have heard a lot about engines not running properly with own made or after market silencers but worth a try as I don't want to ruin the outline with the silencers hanging out, and I don't understand electric!!

wink

Blimey Jim this must have been a very important model to you if you were willing to use one of your two pence pieces on it...wink 2

On a more serious note I'm with kc on this one.....exhaust back pressure is very important to a 2 stroke engine helping it to run correctly......do lots of testing at various revs before committing to flight to ensure all is well. A badly designed exhaust will cause rough running & possible over heating.

I'm not saying it can't be done I'm just saying be sure it works before committing the model.....thumbs up

Hi,

Sorry for the late replay,

dscf2249.jpg

I am not that sort of technical guy that works all kinds of formulas.

So i find a simple approach to as many things as i can.

So i filled the supplied exhaust that came with my engine with water by blocking the exhaust port with my finger .

I then poured out the water from the filled exhaust into a measuring jug, that way i now know the internal volume of the exhaust.

So that way i check my home made Exhaust using the same method and so long it equals the same or a little more than the volume of the original i know i will be ok.

Hi Jim,

The last part of yours and my Exhaust system are both secured to the fuselage while the engine is fixed to a nylon engine mount which will absorb any vibration from the engine.

And as the rear exhaust is firmly fixed i fear cracks will appear somewhere along the exhaust system and that is why i have a silicon tube between the two parts.

Steve.