which way up?

Glyn44

In the new autumn edition of the magazine the "eye for detail" artical by David Ashby says that the Servo Grommet Metal Inserts are to be inserted the right way up, but I don't know which way is correct! He doesn't say.

I will put money on it that it is the opposite direction to the way I have put in mine over the last couple of years. I can see a really annoying job coming up here!

Advert

Posted by Glyn44 on 08/10/2016 09:34:49:

In the new autumn edition of the magazine the "eye for detail" artical by David Ashby says that the Servo Grommet Metal Inserts are to be inserted the right way up, but I don't know which way is correct! He doesn't say.

I will put money on it that it is the opposite direction to the way I have put in mine over the last couple of years. I can see a really annoying job coming up here!

Well that sounds like David doesn't`t have an eye for detail then wink.

But he does read the posts on this Forum wink.

Steve wink.

Never used so many winkies - Depot...wink.

Posted by Glyn44 on 08/10/2016 09:34:49:

It might be an annoying job but you won't get it wrong again wink.

If you have put them in the wrong way the sharp end of the insert can cut into the wooden bearers allowing the screws  to loosen and eventually fall out causing loss of control . 

Edited By Engine Doctor on 08/10/2016 10:05:10

In my opinion for the average installation it makes little difference which way up you put the eyelets, it's far more important to ensure a small gap all around the servo so it can float in the rubbers without touching bearers or tray. I know the current trend is to put the sharp end of the eyelet upwards against the screw head but for the rubbers to work properly the eyelet should be fixed rigid and there is more chance of this happening with the sharp end of the eyelet cutting into the bearer or tray. Some eyelets are very soft and tightening a screw head down onto the sharp end will burr them over and squash the rubber thus defeating the object. Each to their own!

I don't know about it being a modern trend - the earliest Futaba manual I can recall has it pictured in finest oriental black and white. What is a trend - right back to my first encounters with these in the mid 70s where I was equally guilty - is for people to put them in upside down, probably because it looks right to have the flange to tighten the screw head on to.

Of course you can overtighten your screws and damage the spacers but installed correctly, the preload on the rubber inserts is automatically correct. As has been stated above, the spacer can easily sink into the wood and loosen the screw pressure if it's inverted.

Example here (from the horse's mouth) on page 5

Edited By Martin Harris on 08/10/2016 11:42:51

Posted by Peter Miller on 08/10/2016 10:08:45:

And while you are at it. I am sure that everyone knows the easy way to insert the metal insert into the grommet!

For the one person who doesn't, just slide it on to a watchmakers Phillips screw driver and insert. Simples

One person educated.

Posted by Peter Miller on 08/10/2016 10:08:45:

And while you are at it. I am sure that everyone knows the easy way to insert the metal insert into the grommet!

For the one person who doesn't, just slide it on to a watchmakers Phillips screw driver and insert. Simples

My grandfather was a watch maker/repairer and I'll bet a pound to a pinch of smelly stuff he didn't ever own a Philips screwdriver. Mind you he was born around 1860 and died in in 1945 when I was 5 and his lathe was treadle operated - I enjoyed sitting on his workshop chair, just about managing to reach the treadle and getting the lathe to spin! We lived in the same house/shop and I just wish I'd inherited more, or even some, of his skills.

However, I know exactly what you mean and it's a good tip to make an awkward job easier yes

Geoff