Dolly pics or drawings

Chris Walby

Hi, It looks like I will need a launch dolly due to U/C position and pusher props on a 6Kg Vulcan (it can land on its U/C when it comes back down). The runway is grass, a bit bumpy and quite short!

Does anyone have any photos/drawings of a launch dolly that would be suitable as its a bit pointless reinventing the wheel so to speak.

And is there any benefit in say powering the dolly to help it on its way either bungee or self powered?

Many thanks

Advert

Just do a forum search for "dolly". That will bring up a no of threads which should get you started

Romeo Whisky's had a very clear pic **LINK** with a few more in his photo album **LINK**

Haven't heard of anyone powering a dolly, and not sure that would be helpful. That's an extra thing you'd need to control - or to go wrong

Thanks to those that have posted and after a bit of web searching a design is being formulated,

Two front wheels, with one trailing (possibly steering, but will try it without first), it will be quite wide for stability and to miss the pusher props which are 12 inch apart compared to the 6 ft wingspan.

Steve,

I have a Yeti delta wing which looks much the same as you FX-61 in size/power/weight and all I do with that is hand launch it. I think a dolly will be more trouble than its worth to be honest

I was advised with two techniques for launching firstly the hold the centre and above head throw with motor off, as it glides toward the ground power up and a bit of up elevator or discus style (hold it by the end of the wing with wing in front or your body at about 45 degrees. Then throw into wind away from yourself.

I prefer the second technique as I put throttle hold on, give it full throttle and throw it with my left hand (I am right handed) which leaves my right hand holding the TX with my thumb on the elevator/aileron stick and my second finger on the throttle hold switch (on my TX its mix/hold switch is top right).

So throttle hold, throttle to full power, ready to throw, take throttle hold off and once its up to full speed, throw firmly into wind (with right thumb of TX stick) and away it should go!

The only other thing to mention is the harder I throw mine the worse the launch (within reason) because what I tend to do is introduce rotation into the throw. The Yeti has no rudder or centre stab so if I introduce yaw I only have elevrons to correct it with.

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 12/10/2016 18:50:58:

Dolly launching should be banned.

Dolly pilot concentrating on flying leaves his dolly on the strip, expensive plane hits dolly on landing, result major damage.

What's the difference between a dolly and a model that has just landed, deadstick? If expensive model flyer is so precious and unskilled as to be unable to avoid a dolly, perhaps said flyer ought to just wait until the dolly has been retrieved from the strip.

....so where does it return to.. the flight line where it mows me over (I'll have enough trouble flying the Vulcan as it is!) or the pits via the fence....How about I retrieve the dolly and someone with greater experience with maiden flights has the sticks... Any takers (when are you next up at the field?)

Our's is a friendly club!

If I'm using the dolly I just ask one of my mates to retrieve the dolly from the runway after the launch, and with no fuss at all they kindly do it. It's a simple system and it works perfectly. We also offer to hand-launch models for each other when necessary. That's what friends are for.

Why doesn't TS2 just offer to retrieve the dolly from the runway instead of moaning about it.

Posted by Romeo Whisky on 14/10/2016 16:29:25:

If I'm using the dolly I just ask one of my mates to retrieve the dolly from the runway after the launch, and with no fuss at all they kindly do it. It's a simple system and it works perfectly. We also offer to hand-launch models for each other when necessary. That's what friends are for.

Why doesn't TS2 just offer to retrieve the dolly from the runway instead of moaning about it.

Yep, that's how it has always worked for me, and at my current club at least three of us regularly use a dolly to launch a variety of models.

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 14/10/2016 18:47:16:
Posted by Romeo Whisky on 14/10/2016 16:29:25:

Too busy flyingsmiley

And of course no one helps you if you are too busy to help others.