Life Today and Customer "Choice".

Advert

BEB

My problem with the Pizza shop is not the scale of choice but the limitations of what you can and cannot do (like no more that 3 toppings on a 9" )

This always makes me thing that they decide what they want to sell rather than me decide what I want to buy.

Your experience also smack a little of misrepresentation - their offer (should you really only want one 7" pizza) is really a One for the Price of Two offer !!

Edited By Megawatt on 19/10/2016 11:53:04

Edited By Megawatt on 19/10/2016 11:53:50

BEB.

Just imagine if you had been behind a modern "Yoof", with typical decision making capacity ! You could have had breakfast as well.

Actually you should be able to report these shops for encouraging people to over eat / waste food.

It's a bit like the clown problem. The most dangerous clown on the planet isn't one with an evil grin and machete, but one who encourages people (children in particular) to indulge in over eating junk food and drink sugar laden fizzy drinks. party

kevinb I'm lovin it.

Posted by Barrie Dav 2 on 19/10/2016 07:51:31:

6p of chips and 1p of cracking - anyone remember that??

Ye Gods!

But BEB, can I gently chide you for your life balance. On the road all day, no lunch, to then try for a bad pizza, and having failed to achieve that attempt a bad filled bread thing. And the process put another callouse on you karma. Can't fly a coffin mate.

Should have done yourself a couple of slices of 'cheese on toast' whilst the kettle got to the boil for a cup of tea. Lots cheaper and much much less hassle. Never use any of these fast food outlets and have only ever eaten a Mac burger once - never to be repeated! Must be something to do with almost being three score years and ten. Like my best friend of 53 years(and lots of others I know of a similar vintage) always take a pack of sarnies and a drink when going out so as to avoid the on site food(?) vendors - did the same when I had children.

That did make me laugh BEB. All too common I'm afraid.

We went with my sister's kids to a well known pizza chain and while we were waiting to be seated, a girl came in and picked up a take away order. She paid up and the pizza person said do you want that cut into 8 or 12 pieces?

Eight please she replied, I can't eat 12.

I did get some odd looks as I struggled outside, I was laughing so much.

Well, Mrs Geoff and I made a very rare visit to Nottingham today, just to have a look round. It's a city we both once knew quite well and, in fact, we met in there 1965 at the Palais de Dance on a Wednesday over 25 night (aka 'grab a granny' night ). Of course the place is barely recognisable now. Not only the shops have changed hands - some of them have totally disappeared as have all the cinemas and now instead of the wonderful 'trackless' trolley buses they've gone back in time by having trams which make cycling hazardous to say the least.

Anyway, we ventured into John Lewis because she wanted a new teapot as she'd dropped her 2 cup one. I was drawn to the coffee machines and we left with a Nespresso Pixie which was on offer. They even made me a cup to try and it was excellent. So there you are, I no longer have to rely on Costa or Starbucks as a change from my instant brew I can make my own in a few seconds - OK is up to 29p/cup (though I may try stretching to 29p for 2 cups! Experiments will be undertaken).

Trips to Nottingham seem to be expensive. Last time we went there for a concert at the Royal Concert Hall we also went into John Lewis and came away with a Vitamix!

I'll say this for the staff, they are very helpful and it's all soft sell. The coffee maker we bought was £79.95 and there were others much more than double that. I asked if they made better coffee and was told there was no difference and the small one we bought was just as good.

Geoff

I sympathise with BEB. I'm more a nerd than a foodie, so all I need is simple re-fuelling. To be faced with a choice of quirky menu items just fills me with dread, and having to chose from 15 different varieties of hot, brown water (masquerading as coffee) is exactly what keeps me out of Costa and Starbucks!

Incidentally, our family went to a local restaurant recently, and having rejected everything on the menu, I asked for a plate of eggs, chips and peas. It was delicious!

tim

Posted by Tim Hooper on 19/10/2016 21:23:44:

I sympathise with BEB. I'm more a nerd than a foodie, so all I need is simple re-fuelling. To be faced with a choice of quirky menu items just fills me with dread, and having to chose from 15 different varieties of hot, brown water (masquerading as coffee) is exactly what keeps me out of Costa and Starbucks!

Incidentally, our family went to a local restaurant recently, and having rejected everything on the menu, I asked for a plate of eggs, chips and peas. It was delicious!

tim

So that's why you're so fat! And I thought it was Nettie's cooking, which, as I know from sampling it, is first class.

Geoff

Geoff - don't try to get two cups out of one capsule, the second cup'll be a huge disappointment, but if you run water through the capsule a second time, using a larger cup, some of the more robust blends will give you a larger cup of almost acceptable coffee ( though obviously not as strong ). Don't know if JL had the offer going when you bought your Pixie, but if you bought 50 or 60 capsules they'll send you a milk frother f.o.c.

i once bought a small music center from dixons on special offer for £69 99. the salesman said did i want insurance on it?, how much is it? £69 99, i said no thank you and he started to explain why it would be a good idea to have it, i told him i didnt want it go and get the item and i will pay for it thank you. he pulled a face and went off and came back with the deputy manager who still wanted me to get insurance. by now with a full head of steam i politely but very loudly told him to go and get me the center. up popped the manager wondering what all the noise was about . told him if ididnt get the center in one minute i would walk out and write to their head office to complain. within a minute item was on the counter price reduced to £49 99, so a very loud voice paid off. proud to be a grumpy old git and have the tea shirt to prove it

Re cold calling...........make sure your landline and mobile are registered with the Telephone Preference Service. Since registering several years ago I rarely get bothered, and if a rogue call does get through, simply ask for the callers company name and inform them that you'll be reporting them to the authorities as they're committing an offense. Unfortunately, calls from abroad don't come under the TPS rules, but oddly enough those calls have also declined to only couple or so a year.

My elderly mother-in-law was being harassed by all manner of calls despite TPS registration, so I fitted one of those call filtering devices to her line and programmed it to block all unknown or withheld numbers. Family, doctor, hospital and one or two other important agencies are the only people that call her now, and she is blissfully unaware of the work the little gizmo is doing behind the scenes on her behalf. True customer choice.

Edited By Cuban8 on 20/10/2016 09:50:17

Tee shirts are fine but in this cliamte I want a "Grumpy old git" sweat shirt. There are lots of others that I would like to wear if they were sweat shirts.

I am NOT one of the modern youths who wander round ina Tee shirt in mid winter.

And then there are their female counter parts walking round with bare midriffs.