Stashed In The Attic

David Davis

Advert

Kevin, you'll never live long enough to build them all and I will have to go and count the plans I have now but just to be getting on with, here's my engine collection, they're all stashed in the attic too unless they're bolted into a model!

Diesels:

4 off including 2 off PAWs.

Two Stroke Glows:

5 off Irvines

4 off OS

3 off Enya

2 off Super Tigre

Single specimens of K&B, Merco, Meteor and SC.

Four Stroke Glows:

8 off Laser

7 off OS

3 off Thunder Tiger

3 off HP VT

Single specimens of Enya and Magnum

Total 45

I also have five assorted electric motors but I don't count those! wink.

I must show this blog to my wife. With a build list of: one half finished Magnatilla, an ARTF Waco, a Kyten short kit and a pile of plans it makes me look positively frugal. angel 2

Mind you, a few years ago I was asked by a recently widowed woman to clear out her husband's collection of about 200 plastic aircraft kits. What a nightmare, half made, parts missing and months of Ebay. A lesson learned.

All this makes me feel so much better!

Reading about others' loft joists groaning under the weight of unbuilt kits, or models waiting for repair etc or garages rammed full with modelling detritus, actually puts me in a fairly good light wink

My cardinal rule is never start another build until others are finished and don't keep stuff that you never use. Sadly, I'm not perfect............currently 80% through a BT Mk1a Spit (the small one thankfully) but after severe build fatigue with it, I thought I'd have a go at the 1/3 scale Turbulent kit that I've had stored away for 20 years. Up to the covering stage with it now, so shouldn't be too long to go.

Have a Seagull Sea Eagle ARTF that's waiting for a test flight and a Seagull Silence Twister, still boxed that I got from the Nats (remember them?sad) for a huge bargain a few years back.

My loft is empty apart from a few suitcases and my detached garage that I use as a model hanger and main workshop is really quite tidy, if a bit cold at this time of year. I'm permitted to use our third bedroom as an 'assembly shop' in the winter, providing I don't create balsa dust or drop glue on the carpet. yes

Many years ago, one of the model mags did an article on the workshops of top scale builders and I recall seeing that one particular modeller (a famous name) would produce world championship winning scale models from an 8X6 shed!

I don't know about about anyone else, but no matter how much room I create for myself in my workshop prior to a build, I always wind up with a space of about a foot square to work from!

Edited By Cuban8 on 25/10/2016 12:28:45

Posted by Cuban8 on 25/10/2016 12:05:29:

All this makes me feel so much better!

Reading about others' loft joists groaning under the weight of unbuilt kits, or models waiting for repair etc or garages rammed full with modelling detritus, actually puts me in a fairly good light wink

My cardinal rule is never start another build until others are finished and don't keep stuff that you never use. Sadly, I'm not perfect............currently 80% through a BT Mk1a Spit (the small one thankfully) but after severe build fatigue with it, I thought I'd have a go at the 1/3 scale Turbulent kit that I've had stored away for 20 years. Up to the covering stage with it now, so shouldn't be too long to go.

Have a Seagull Sea Eagle ARTF that's waiting for a test flight and a Seagull Silence Twister, still boxed that I got from the Nats (remember them?sad) for a huge bargain a few years back.

My loft is empty apart from a few suitcases and my detached garage that I use as a model hanger and main workshop is really quite tidy, if a bit cold at this time of year. I'm permitted to use our third bedroom as an 'assembly shop' in the winter, providing I don't create balsa dust or drop glue on the carpet. yes

Your best bet is to get some antinox (correx sheet) from Gibbs and Dandy or similar. Lay it out on the floor and gaffer tape the sheets together. it works wel and can be swept, hoovered.

Reading this thought I'd better check in my attic. Two broken planes. 1 silver cross perambulator, and a carry cot! (Remember those?) Oh some women are just hoarders, wife's wedding dress in a suitcase, from 1971! I must ask if I can bin the lot, well perhaps not advisable.

What do you think? Oh kids are in their late 40's

As an aside, I have a couple of kits I suspect won't be built, by me. And I am going to be non cluttered.

Flair quarter scale Tiger Moth. As it left the factory.

Midwest Harvard, AT 6, Texan. This one has the Robart scale units for this kit. All in ex factory condition, except graffiti on the box exterior.

What are they worth.

I popped my head into the loft for a look - but couldn't be bothered to count (my socks were on so there was no chance of counting the retirees and repair projects) so I took a few photos.

20161025_182604.jpg20161025_183124.jpg

20161025_182815.jpg

The unstarted projects are a rather nice Hobbyking ASW26, a veneered foam part kit of a BAe Hawk (prop-driven), a Viper EDF jet and an Extra Slim which I've got as far as duplicating the fuselage components to build a replica Extra Slim Twin.

I am a hoarder at heart but I actually managed to scrap a couple of models which I convinced myself would never be rebuilt when I floored and reorganised the loft last year!