More balloons, sorry drones

Shaunie

Advert

I love it! The first paragraph contains one of the relatively few facts in the story "they don't know what it was". But of course that doesn't stop them some paragraphs down launching into speculation about drones! It could have been Santa, Mary Poppins or Superman,....but no, its a drone,...despite the opening paragraph.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/11/2016 20:15:54

Can't be Santa, no mention of antlers, Mary Poppins is only little...i've seen her wink Superman wears red n blue so it's not him, unless it's his day off, can't be a carrier bag it's too big, can't be a balloon they only fly just over your roof top. Must be a fixed wing flyer had a flyaway.

John....who done it Dept face 1

Posted by scott finnie on 16/11/2016 19:36:24:
I hate the term "Drone".... Why not the proper term "Quadcopter"

Perhaps multi-rotor would be more accurate as they can any number of blades from 3 upwards.

It's not likely to be a 'hobby' MR is it? I stand to be corrected but 9000' is a bit above their ceiling isn't it?

Geoff

Seems the report was updated yesterday:

On Nov 21st 2016 the Canadian TSB reported the aircraft was descending through about 8300 feet 29nm east of the initial approach fix when the crew noticed a solid object, about 5-8 feet in diameter and shaped like an upright doughnut, directly ahead. It appeared there was no relative movement and the object came rapidly closer to the aircraft. The captain overrode the autopilot in order to quickly descend the aircraft under the object, there was no impact.

Posted by John Privett on 16/11/2016 21:02:23:
Posted by Martin Harris on 16/11/2016 20:13:21:

Whatever happened to those space aliens and their flying saucers?

Come on now, Martin - keep up with the times. wink 2

They've gone out of fashion now. Everything that flies and can't be identified is automatically a drone these days... sarcastic

That was my point! surprise

I did like the bit in the report where it said that after debriefing they said it could have been a drone - I can just imagine it..."you say it looked like a balloon - could it have been a drone - did you see it clearly enough to dismiss the possibility - is there any way that it might have been a drone...?"

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/11/2016 13:44:53