Building from plans!

SIMON CRAGG

Thought I might have a go at building a Buggly Ugger from plans over the winter.

Ideal, I thought. Warm model room / tea / ginger biscuits etc etc.

Then I looked in to the price of balsa, as all our local shops are long gone.

Its INSANE!. No wonder not many people build from plans anymore.....be cheaper to grow my own balsa tree and sit and wait.

I might be going to the wrong suppliers.......anybody know of a decent on?

Cheers. Simon.

Advert

SLEC timber is of excellent quality and so is that provided by the Balsa Cabin.

To save on costs buy a balsa stripper and cut your own strip from sheet material. It saves a small fortune!

There are a number of good balsa strippers on the market, from Kavan, SLEC and the like, but I normally use one made by Avicraft which seems to suit me better.

Good luck with the build!

Pete

Yes, possibly your wood may seem expensive but A) at least you will know that it is properly built and properly glued. B) you will have had the pleasure of actually building your own model and C) it opens up a huge range of models which you can cover in your own colourscheme. Think, no more picking up someone elses model because you can tell the difference.

Balsa is expensive- it needs to be used carefully to minimise waste! Carriage is expensive so buying at shows is popular, or buying with other club members. Deciding if 48 inch lengths or 4inch sheet might be more economical is worthwhile but beware the carriage cost might increase for 48 inch. ( many 52 inch wings can make do with 48 inch spars & LE sheeting when you allow for the tips)

The good thing about home built models in balsa is that they are repairable in most instances, especially electric where there is no problem with fuel soaked areas.

Triangular strip seems the most expensive of all, it may be much cheaper to use a square strip cut from a sheet. Making square notches in formers instead of triangular may be necessary.

If you want quality, straight edged sheets and exactly what grade you order then Balsa Cabin is really the only option in my opinion. SLEC are great for links, hinges etc but I find that their wood is really not up to that standard.

Sorry if I offended you people at SLEC because you do offer a very good range of other bits and I use you a lot.

I do a lot of wing sheeting and find that the Balsa Cabin stuff does not generally require any cutting to enable butt joints to be made.

Posted by Cuban8 on 18/11/2016 21:00:49:

I was in Balsa Cabin this afternoon for some odds'n' ends, a real Aladdin's cave of delight for the builderyes

The ladies on the desk sure know their stuff!

+1 vote

And I use SLEC for a variety of parts as well, some are hard to find elsewhere 

Edited By Stuart Z on 20/11/2016 04:03:06

All right for those that live nearby but out of 5 lms so called within fairly easy reach 2 are trains 1 does R/C Cars another is plastic kits and toyz Th e furthest one about 10 miles is very good.There is one or maybe two in Colwyn Bay which look good but not had a chance to visit them Ply I can get cheaply from Enrique Iglesias in Spain Even with postal charges but have to rely on the net at present for balsa etc. I'm giving Depron a try but I'm finding working on my lap tray a bit of a pain Hopefully things will improve after 2nd Dec when" hopefully" I get hip replacements.. I hope I haven't hijacked the thread too much. regards John ( one tenor ) Mantova

You should be so lucky, here in Cyprus every item big or small has to come via mail , and postal charges are very high. But at least to offset this we have good flying weather nearly all year round. The way we get round it is to buy in baulk with other flyers and have it shipped over.

yes for Balsa Cabin from me too. Always get really well matched grades when buying multiple sheets and 'the ladies on the desk', whom i met earlier this year at Weston, really do know their stuff indeed. SLEc are excellent too, though I usually use them for all the other accessories I need.