PSSA meet - New Years Day 2017

Phil Cooke

Posted by Phil Cooke on 03/01/2017 16:16:47:

Super photo with the rays of light down onto the sea Dave!

Chris must be thinking 'I found heaven' or 'Let in the Sun'.

I'm very tempted to edit in a model silhouette to complete the image btw...

I actually remember thinking "I can't believe it's new years eve"

You missed an excellent days flying mate! lol

Ok, I don't know why, only live 5 mins away, but didn't go to the cloud on the day they flew. I'm not really into gliders or PSS stuff, don't know why it doesn't spark my interest. Why? Strange.

I should have gone, but although said I was going to go, preferred to stay and finish a power model off.
Chris needs to encourage me more in PSS or gliders. I have flown gliders before, but maybe it's been there, done that got the T-Shirt...

Maybe my New Year's Resolution - fly a glider again the first time in 20 years.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 04/01/2017 22:07:12:

Ok, I don't know why, only live 5 mins away, but didn't go to the cloud on the day they flew. I'm not really into gliders or PSS stuff, don't know why it doesn't spark my interest. Why? Strange.

I should have gone, but although said I was going to go, preferred to stay and finish a power model off.
Chris needs to encourage me more in PSS or gliders. I have flown gliders before, but maybe it's been there, done that got the T-Shirt...

Maybe my New Year's Resolution - fly a glider again the first time in 20 years.

Weird - I gave up powered stuff about 25 years ago. Got bored of oily smelly stuff and cheating with a fan on the front laugh

I can see the Cloud from my bedroom window. Even go running up there sometimes (about 15 min run away) - that's how close I live. And I only live 25 mins from Leek/Moorland sites and 1 3/4 from the Orme, but never been to any of them.

Why am I not interested in non-powered stuff, when I'm so keen on other flying disciplines? (even drones!!!)  surprise

Edited By Paul Marsh on 04/01/2017 22:17:28

A good slope, strong wind and a scale looking model will change your mind!

Add into that some laughs and banter with many different characters (and weird ones like Andy), some nice weather and you have the ingredients for a good weekend. yes

Stick a folding prop on the Tucano and have a go off the Orme next time out. laugh

Re Gliders v Power - my reasons for slope soaring and I have tried both are:-

1. You fly in beautiful countryside with staggering awesome views.
  2. You are not flight time limited by either batteries or fuel.
  3. No smelly fuel or mopping up afterwards.
  4. The speed record for gliders DS'ing is 530mph which must be at least twice as fast as power models.
  5. Keeps you fitter walking up hills.
  6. You can fly all day on one battery.
  7. Less expensive because no large battery ESC or fuel to buy.
  8. One less aspect to go wrong in the form of the motor.
  9. Less tense - I find at power fields they are a lot stricter on Health and Safety as they have to be due to the proximity, usually, of local housing estates, and pedestrians.
  10. PSS guys are very kind, welcoming, patient, and interesting. I miss them when I am not with them and look forward to meeting them all at the beginning of each season - oh by the way someone bought me a book on warbirds to study so watch out next season you lot.

I am sure there are others but it is sold to me.