Build Board Material

ChrisH

I have a wooden build board on which to build model aircraft which I would like to cover with an inexpensive more "pin friendly" material - the board is so hard that pins often bend rather than stick in, and sticking them in is very difficult.

I wondered what other folk use?

I had thought of cork sheet, but that is expensive, or hardboard, but that might be too hard still. My latest thought was perhaps 1/4 inch thick balsa sheet - would the 'hard' grade be hard enough? Or what other materials have people used to good effect that are not too costly?

Chris

Advert

Plasterboard is the stuff to use, there is no problem with dust once it's cut. Cutting is done by scoring on one side with a Stanley knife then placing over a batten and snapping. then fold right back and cut through the paper on the other side. Take the knife and a 4ft batten and cut down to size to get into a car. B&Q etc won't cut it on their panel saws!

Actually builders throw away pieces big enough for most model building - 3ft by 2 ft is probably big enough plus a few smaller pieces to use for tailplanes etc. Just make sure it is flat.

Spars can be held down to the plasterboard using screws and wooden clips.

Thanks for those two excellent suggestions. Plasterboard I had masses of off-cuts of, thought "won't need these anymore" and sent them to the tip! Typical! But that is one very good idea. The Sundeala board is also available from some model shops, also maybe even office suppliers, so will look out for that too.  

Having said that, plaster board is cheap as chips and easily available and with the edges sealed with tape................ sorted!

Thanks again,

Chris

Edited By ChrisH on 14/01/2017 16:36:51

I bought some Sundeala board a year or so ago from a local model railway shop. When I got it I found that it was warped. I never did manage to get the warp out and I found that it was not that easy to get pins into. I think it is mainly used for model railway layouts. I think the next thing to try will be plasterboard (or dry lining board, which may be the same).

Derek.

I've used laminate floor insulation tiles. They are about 500 mm square & 6 mm thick. They take pins easily & are simply replaced when damaged. I got some from a laminate floor shop years ago. when I told the salesman what I wanted it for he gave me a damaged pack for free. I'm still using it.

I use sundeala board, purchased from builders merchant. I bonded the board to kitchen worktop as worked ok, after a few years the work top has warped slightly. This I think is because the worktop is only 30mm thick and attached to cheap kitchen units.

Building board

I am going to build a small magnetic bench for my next project, it will be based on the articles from airfield models.

**LINK**

SW