Taranis Upgrade

Devcon1

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/02/2017 17:33:11:

They do look interesting - I'm tempted,.....but I'm also moving very close to buyng a Horus now,...do I need a Horus and a Taranis with Hall Effect gimbals?

OK, I know, stupid question!

BEB

Once you get your hands on a Horus you'll leave the Taranis in the case, except as a buddy box perhaps. OpenTX 2.2 is looking good on it, still a bit buggy, and quite a few bells and whistles to add but wow!

Hi Gary

Not from my perspective.

I got my Taranis to test the water and see how I coped with OpenTx, any doubts were unfounded so I'm a total convert.

I have started to expand the slush fund to facilitate a Horus purchase at some stage but I do see where you're coming from.

Edited By Devcon1 on 01/02/2017 18:42:58

Edited By Devcon1 on 01/02/2017 18:43:26

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 01/02/2017 22:16:58:

The Horus is so much more than just the gimbals. Just think, you can have your own colour photo of your own model displayed on screen to remind you which one you are flyingface 1

It does seem to get through it's battery a bit quicker than the Taranis though.

I have to land my model and put my reading glasses on to see my tranny screen anyway.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 01/02/2017 23:04:34

Posted by Gary Manuel on 01/02/2017 18:10:47:

Could this be a bit of a home goal for FrSky?

Surely one of the USP's of the Horus is it's smoother gimbals. They could end up losing sales.

I am not sure this is going to be an issue. The Horus was predominantly designed to appeal to big brand users from Futaba, JR, Spek etc. wanting high end build and performance with a more traditional menu driven interface, not the existing user base. From what I've seen though to date that hasn't happened - FrSky's launch wasn't polished enough (the RF firmware issues in early units didn't help) and there was precious little publicity in the mags to pique the interest of those buyers. They have sold a fair number to FrSky fans, but the bigger percentage of existing users seemed to have decided it is too big and heavy and/or that it costs to much to be a worthwhile upgrade. Maybe over time it will become a sales success, but the launch appears to have been 4/10 success and I doubt they are on course to recover the dev costs of that expensive new OS anytime soon.

However, what there is a huge appetite for is a "Super Taranis". Hall effect gimbals as std, better quality switches and a revised case that fits in with the family resemblance of the Q7 and Horus - maybe even a colour screen could be added. Priced around the £250-300 mark (or more likely 350 if the colour screen was added) it would be a huge seller, but will they do it? I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath; if it were wildly successful it might also kill Horus sales stone dead.

• 1 month later...

My new M9 hall sender gimbals arrived yesterday, fitted them last night which was pretty straightforward and easily calibrated.

I know stuff like this is very subjective but they do feel very very nice, for me the ratchet has a better feel and they just feel very classy, with a much smoother and more accurate tighter feel.

As a bonus, they do look rather nice and add a little class to the look. Although I'll always put function over form.

Very happy with them, just need to give them a twirl with a model.

Had a very quick fly with my MPX Fun Cub on Saturday and they did feel very nice.

Now, my Taranis is only about 3 months old and only had a couple of hours stick time maximum. It seems such a shame to bin the ones I've taken out so if anybody wants a pair of X9D+ sticks for any reason I'm quite happy to post them at my cost to anyone that could put them to good use. Send me a PM if you could use them.

John

Friday morning Postie brought me a new Frsky Hall-Effect gimbal, I've been waiting a while for UK stock. 

I no longer have a Taranis so this is a homebrewers perspective, I ordered one just for curiosity and maybe a 2ch glider radio project. Connected it to an ebay red board running the 7ch+S/Cmix, recalibrated and gave it a whirl - and it is quite superb! The centring and linearity is spot on and it feels silky smooth, as it should with no pots!  Theres loads of scope for adjustment of tension, and friction or ratchet.

Beware its a 3v3 device though, dont forget and plug it into a 5v header. I used the Nano 3v3 output for the test.

The output is almost rail-to-rail so resolution is much better than a partial-travel pot, and if you use a 3v3 adc reference it will be 'true' 1024 resolution with say a 328P or pic's 10 bit adc.

Depth-wise its very shallow (slightly over 1" ) so will fit in a nice slim case, & it sits in a 48mm diameter cutout. 
I intend to remove the four raised bolt mounts to make it sit flush against the inside of a flat case. There are no trims of course but we knew that didnt we.

They're not cheap, about £20, but I think good value for a quality product.

Mine came from T9: 
www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-m9-hall-sensor-gimble-for-taranis-x9d-plus

Datasheet

Cheers
Phil

PS John, its plug & play, you cant go wrong! (I cut the plugs off mine)

hall_gimbal.jpg

hall_gimbal2.jpg

Edited By Phil Green on 05/03/2017 19:03:11

Yep, mine arrived this week too, and I fitted them on Friday night - nicely made and super smooth. Haven't flown with them yet though, and even at their shortest the sticks are a little longer for me, so I may need to get some shorter 4mm threaded stick ends from Banggood or eBay.

Edited By MattyB on 05/03/2017 19:01:04

Got my new gimbals of couple of days ago. I fitted them in my original version Taranis last night.
Everything went quite well until I tried to adjust the ratchet & friction screws. Instead of being threaded right to the heads the screws have a length of plain shank which makes the adjustments impossible. I swapped them for a pair of spare fully threaded servo screws of the size which did the job. Afterwards I realised the screws from the old gimbals would have done.

Haven't had the opportunity to try the tranny out yet with the new gimbals but I think that all of the models will probably need their control surfaces re-centred etc.

PS wrong screws aside, I think that the ratchet & friction setup of the old gimbals is better.

Edited By PatMc on 05/03/2017 19:21:07

Posted by Andy48 on 01/02/2017 18:39:57:

Once you get your hands on a Horus you'll leave the Taranis in the case, except as a buddy box perhaps.

Well, that's certainly far from true here! 2 Horus, 1 Taranis. The Taranis is a Batch 2 which was supplied with the improved rear sliders, nothing else, used several times weekly, no replacements needed, std gimbals perfectly adequate, no slop. Still gets far more use that the Horus combined.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by MattyB on 02/02/2017 12:42:57:

However, what there is a huge appetite for is a "Super Taranis". Hall effect gimbals as std, better quality switches and a revised case that fits in with the family resemblance of the Q7 and Horus - maybe even a colour screen could be added. Priced around the £250-300 mark (or more likely 350 if the colour screen was added) it would be a huge seller, but will they do it? I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath; if it were wildly successful it might also kill Horus sales stone dead.

Looks like it's arrived; I'm in smiley

**LINK**