I knew I shouldn't be modelling when...

Chris Bott - Moderator

There are times, when the way we feel, our mood or our general condition means we should really not be doing anything important. Certainly nothing as important as anything model related.

Sometimes we only notice this when a simple process that we normally carry out well, just isn't going to plan. Often the only recourse is to stop and revisit at some other time when usually, all is back to normal.

Just for fun, and prompted by an incident yesterday, I thought I'd start a thread. (I'm also hoping I'll find out that it's not just me!)

So, yesterday, I decided I would tissue cover a flat balsa tailplane, ready for painting. All very straightforward and the first side went particularly well so I Ieft it to dry.

On return to the workshop I cut another piece of tissue and proceeded to cover... the same side again! DOH!

Either my first side was so good that I could hardly see the tissue, or my eyes are starting to go, or maybe it's the lighting? Anyway, at least I noticed while the dope was still wet. I pulled it off, dealt with the ensuing mess and left it for another day.

Does anyone else ever have any similar "moments"?

Advert

I burnt out a speed controller. Got a new one. Decided I wanted some wiring off the old controller, so I de wired the new controller. The feeling of horror, the fear, has senility arrived? Took forever to repair the damage.

Or the time I was soldering an undercarriage on a quarter scale DR 1. Using a gas torch. Cancentrating the brain cell. Now as someone who has shot most of my life, where a stray might travel a long no way, why did I not look at what was behind the target. Penny dropped when I smelled I has set a wing seat alight. Then I set to clearing the mess a pint of tea makes.

Sort of...yesterday I decided to paint the Vulcan having bought a couple of tins of spray paint (small cans) and started with the underside to see how well it took.

Great.. with one wing and part of the fuselage completed the can ran out....now the phase "don't push a poor situation it only gets worse" should have stopped me, but...

On with the second can, well at least I can get the underside complete! That was until the second can ran out with 2 wings and part of the fuselage.....

A hunt around and I found some near matching acrylic paint and got the air brush out, with a bit of mixing (few drops of black) the match looked very good and thus I pressed on.....

I don't believe it... I ran out of paint before I finished the upper surfaces and back to the paint box...darn no more paint of a close colour, I can't stop now so but using 4 different primary colours I had something.

Pressing on with the painting its now all covered.....

The problem is I have painted it with my own unique shade of paint...of which I have no more left!

Sometimes very repetitive actions are carried out almost subconsciously and other times (like me) I should have just gone and got a coup of tea!

Call it the first coat Chris - a light de-nib when it's dry and buy a BIG pot of paint for the finishing coat!

Anyway, I'm not stupid enough to fall for the old "build two sides identical" trap. I was building a Ripmax Extra Slim Twin some years ago and (as the name suggests) it is a twin - it uses two profile Extra fuselages on a funfly wing. (It's a brilliant first twin if anyone sees an old kit for sale - the close coupling and breeze over each rudder makes single engined operation almost laughably easy.)

Back to the build, the design calls for nicely streamlined cheek pieces under the crankcases - one for each side. I had laughed at all the tales of clubmates building two left wings etc. so I took great pains to ensure I didn't make that mistake - I painstakingly razor planed and sanded the two items until they were an exact mirror image of each other - perfection (in my eyes) reigned supreme and I got out the covering iron to clad them in the same Profilm as the fuselages. I fitted the first one and it looked magnificent - went to fit the one on the second fuselage...scratched my head...looked around for the hidden cameras...and then it dawned on me that the fuselages were identical, cylinder heads, linkages, exhausts etc. all nicely aligned and, of course, I should have made two identical pieces!

Slim Twin

Edited By Martin Harris on 20/02/2017 15:04:13

Silver soldering an exhaust in the garage - one careless waft of the gas flame and when I looked up the plastic window blinds were sagging well below window level. Hooked up receiver supplies reverse polarity - at least twice, servos ditto. I really shouldn't be left in charge of a servo lead crimping tool. Reversed ailerons, reversed throttle - two mistakes you don't repeat! Drilled into fingers, knees - over the last 50 years building models I often think I've done the lot. Right up until the moment I discover another way to throw poo in the fan.

Cheers Martin....still reeling from Phil's advice not to undercoat as it adds weight ! ops too late for that one!

Anyway just a case of spot the difference!

20170220_145843.jpg

20170220_145915.jpg

Then I thought I would just try it on the dolly....

20170220_150440.jpg

Too busy looking at the front and the brake assembly, but not at prop clearance as it departs from dolly...More wood work trimming might do it.

I was paring off some wood from an undercarriage plate using a blunt Stanley knife blade. I couldn't get into the corner so changed direction with the knife.......are you with me!

The knife slipped entering my hand between my left thumb and first finger. The tip of the blade perilously coming close to exiting through the palm. I was fortunate that the blade missed the thumb joint sack and tendons. face 14

Just before Christmas I went down with a vicious flue type bug that has laid several people out. the after effects stay on with exhaustion and total lack of interest for weeks.

I can't even face cutting out bits a model. I do fly but I have decided not to try an do any modelling until the urge really returns. I can fiddle with things and do minor servicing. And afternoon on the field (well, a couple of hours) leaves me floored for a couple of days.

I do know that it has triggered a relapse in my ME so I know how to live with it.

I am relieved to know that it is not just me.

Building my Peter Miller Sky Rover this afternoon I fabricated brackets for the undercarriage, checked that they were on the right way round, then checked again prior to soldering.

Moving on to the next stage I wondered why the axles were pointing the wrong way. Yup! I'd manged to solder the wretched brackets on the wrong way round. Guess what tomorrow's job is.....

incidentlaly, it is a nice build Peter. I am really enjoying it and the rugged construction will compliment my (ahem) landing technique.

Pete

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 20/02/2017 19:51:29:

Accidentally reversing the throttle on an electric model with the battery connected.....0 to a zillion rpm instantly & the model shot across tge bench & buried itself in the wallembarrassed

Did the same thing a year ago with a Flightzone Nieuport (park flyer). I thought my son was holding it. I reversed the throttle direction, it flew straight into sewing machine against the far wall in the basement. So much for a new model for a winter's flying at the Golf Dome.

Jim