Brown outs and Grey areas - the truth!

Tim Mackey

I would like to add my experiance,last year having flown my mates madel with the DX7 i was so impressed with the tranny i bought a Combo DX7 and a couple of 7 channel recievers also a 6100. first flight with the 6100 receiver seemed ok untill about 300 metres out when the aircraft went in on full power with no warning so sold it all and went back to Futaba FF7 witn no problems. I am wondering in heinsight is the 6100 a limited range receiver. 

Advert

No, I simply ordered the DX7 with 2  7 channel and 1  6 channel receivers charger etc as i had read in the mags all the blurb and never gave it any thought, also i  was not aware that the 2 aileron channels where linked so that was a disapointment.

Bri

With the Spektrum the AR7200 and AR6200 are the full range 7 and 6 channel Rx's and the 6100 is a 6 channel park flyer. On all these Rx's when selecting dual aileron on the Tx the ailerons are only linked at the Tx and can be adjusted independantly. The 5 channel full range AR500 Rx has the built in Y lead for ailerons.

I'm surprised the Rx was not supplied with a set of instructions which state it is a park fly Rx. The user guide I got with the two I have was quite specific that the 6100 is for parkfly aircraft.

Having said that I've used my in 2 or 3 planes (Twin Jet, Fantom and Alfa Mig 15) and flown them as far away as I could and still see to control them with no issues.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi/ In the latest RCME, Simon Cocker,mentions the 7 not binding properly,and loseing the bind in the air, I have had this happen to me,and some times I have to rebind quite often,I am useing two new 7s trannies..He dosent however give any cure or reson for this, I have 2 6i's and in four yrs have not had any probs,with them, I fly electric only these days. From 3 cells to 10 cells.

Regards Big Al newman

Thought it would be useful to point out that if you are opperating a later Rx in DSMX then only 'QuickConnect' is available and not 'Brown Out detection' unlike when in DSM2 mode.

eg AR600 is DSM2 or DSMX compatable. Use with a DSM2 Tx then you will get 'Quick Connect' and 'Brown Out Detection'. Use the same AR600 with a DSMX Tx then you will only get 'Quick Connect'.

It's all explained on the Sektrum site.

HTH

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 16/01/2013 19:08:01:

Don't you get a bit tired of continually reoccurring problems with Spektrum stuff .I know I do.

I, like many Spekky users, don't get recurring problems, Myron, and I've been using the gear for four years. I've never been unable to bind an Rx, nor have I ever 'lost' the bind in the air.

I think it would be more accurate to say the 'continually recurring problems' tend to be more due to the user rather than the equipment.........face 22

Pete

• 7 months later...

I've been using Spektrum for three years now (not actually out of choice, a good mate gave me an almost new DX7 and two AR7000s) with no gripes. The problems I have had are; A broken antenna (knocked the TX off the bench) so I bought a new antenna, Mea Culpa. Broken gimbal on throttle stick, neck strap snapped at the safety link dropping Tx on the deck again, glued steel pin down the middle of the gimbal, Mea Culpa again. I did have one unexplained throttle glitch flying my Vortex 400, but that could have been anything including a low battery warning on the ESC.

I fly four planes off the TX, three with AR7000s with satellites and a micro Stryker. The timer on the Stryker shows over 25 hours for example!

So overall I have no complaints whatever. In the 35Meg days I would have had dozens on twitches and glitches in that time.

I do wonder if the number of problems just relates to the huge user base of Spektrum?

Shaunie.

"Huge user base", Shaunie? I'm not so sure about that...

At my club Spektrum users are a small minority. And many of those that had Spektrum in the early days of 2.4 have moved elsewhere - mainly to Futaba.

There was also a poll on here, not particularly recently though - it started in July 2011 and had contributions up until June 2012. That asked "What's the main radio brand you use?" and so will include those still on 35MHz but gave Futaba 41% and Spektrum 34%. Perhaps it's time to re-run the poll!