Aluminium spinners

Keith Evans 3

I've just spent nearly an hour trimming an aluminium spinner to accept an 11x6 prop .I carefully marked up a new blade outline on the spinner and then had to decide how to trim it back and with what .A junior hacksaw was fine for a vertical cut but what about the curved profile ? I started to use my Dremel to grind the profile but not one of the grinding bits in my collection were satisfactory ,they were all clogging up very quickly .In the end I cut the profile in very small stages using the small flexible grinding discs .I'm sure there must be a better way .Any ideas?

Advert

I usually resort to a good, old-fashioned rat tail file (a round section file!) and a small half-round file. A Dremel sanding drum will work for small adjustments and finishing but I don't find the Dremel wheels much use on aluminium spinners otherwise. It's a situation where I find hand tools win over power tools.

Any files,burr abrasives etc used on soft metals like brass, ali etc tend to clog up ( pick up/ pin ) ad stop cutting . An old trick I was taught is to rub the cutter on a block of chalk/ plaster .This fills the teeth softly and stops the pinning. It isly cleaned later I know t works with files which BTW a new file should not be used for while on steel. It should be chalked and used o softer metals first

• 3 weeks later...

One tip I have is how to hold the spinner securely in a vice . When properly held filing with a curved hand file is easy and faster than Dremmel.

First put the spinner adaptor sideways and clamp firmly in a vice. Then secure the spinner bolt to it from the INSIDE of the spinner . This holds the spinner firmly for filing, and it can be easily turned around by loosening the bolt. Do not try filing things when holding in your hands as it is not efficient. Using a vice for filing takes. About 10 minutes even for large spinners.

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 03/05/2017 15:53:19

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 03/05/2017 15:54:15

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 03/05/2017 15:55:53

It depends on how big the spinner is, but even well tightened up that's going to be a bit wobbly, I think.

If you set this arrangement up so that it projects from the left hand side of your vice, then you can use your left hand (assuming you file with your right) to steady the open end of the spinner. Vicky verky for southpaws...

Yes Thanks Mike that's exactly what I do . Fix spinner on the side of vice . Hold with left hand to steady whilst filing with half round hand file. Doesn't move and just takes a few minutes.

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 09/05/2017 11:15:33