Who Else Wants a 63" Lavochkin La7 kit?

jrman

Thanks Bob . Maybe that one is faulty . I bought them last Nov though. The ones I’m replacing them with will need a bit more wing cutting as the motor is integrated into the aluminium casing (should be strong). They are rated for 10-12kilo planes and although a bit hefty at 170+ g each I have had no issues from them on the P 47 I thought it a good idea to keep my retract units the same units which at least will provide spares..Out with the Dremel tonight!

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 17/05/2018 12:30:09

Advert

Cheers Bob thanks for your kind comments. I hope all well with you. The finish certainly isn’t perfect plus I have made a few stand off compromises as it’s the first Warbird kit I have properly built but I’m pleased with it as I did my best😊. I painted the number stickers with light grey as per cockpit as I preferred the slightly less red and white look.

• 1 month later...

I had my second flight on my LA7 today . Unfortunately it was disappointing. My LA7 seems seriously overweight and under powered. It weighs about 4.8kg so just shy of 10.6lb and I think it needs much more power than the 80FS I have in it. I think it’s my over the top heavy building. It  took off very slowly in the light wind it only gained much speed with gear retracted. and it flew heavily and was quite a handful to land . I tried pulling out on a landing where I was too close to the edge of the runway but didn’t make it as it stalled (luckily damage minor due to heavy building !!)With the under powering it takes quite far too long to accelerate and flys very sluggishly. I think it needs at least a 100 or 120 FS, but unfortunately my firewall is too far forward to accommodate a longer engine. To increase the engine size I would need to move the whole firewall back so serious work. I’m going to leave it for now and get on with the hurricane! Anyway build it light if you have the chance still !

Edited By Tim Harris 1 on 07/07/2018 17:34:52

Hi Tim .

I think Jonathan is on the right track here , Given the large wing area of the La7 -63 , it is normally a very forgiving model . In fact on one test flight that I carried out for a friend , a conrod pin snapped and I did a complete circuit of our field with a windmilling prop , almost as if I still had power . If you watch the you tube film made by Brian Brassey and his grandson (It has the music of Boney M -Rasputin !) you will note how tame the model is and how slow it flies.

The ones I have flown have all been 91 or 120 powered but they dont require full throttle just to fly . I would guess your 80 will need to be on top form and it clearly isnt yet , 9ilb is a more typical weight but the extra will be easily accommodated .

See what Jon suggests for rapid running in and the correct prop .before doing anything more drastic .

How many minutes run time has the engine had Tim? The only reason for asking is that both my 80 and 100 seemed really underpowered when I first flew them, the 100 in particular (14x6 APC). However, during the last flying session the 100 suddenly, mid flight, took on a different character and was hauling the 'plane around as though it had found another gear. I could only put this down to the fact that it had then had about 50 minutes of run time and it had started to free up, but boy what a difference, I have now got a range of different props (thanks Cosford show!) to try with it to see which suits it best for the U Can Do - 14x8, 15x6, 15x8.

BTW , keep in mind that this warm weather will make all of your planes stall early as the air has lost a lot of density .

This phenomenon was clearly demonstrated in my days as a short board windsurfer (sorry about the necessary diversion) . We would use a hand held windspeed anemometer to decide which sail to use . The aim being to go for the largest you could hang on to . For a 20 mph wind in the winter you would use 5.5sqm sail. For the same wind in the summer at least a 6.5sqm sail would be required to keep the board planing .

So if anyone is beating themselves up about stalling short of the runway , go back the next morning before it gets hot , and do exactly the same approach . I bet it turns out fine .wink

Richard

10.8lbs is pretty porky so if you can find some way of removing a little beef then that would be good. That said, the 80 with a 14x6 should be doing 9k plus and while you might not have much vertical due to the weight straight line speed should be good. In general our engines tend to give all they are going to more or less from the get go. Just forget the running in, thrash it to within an inch of its life. I promise you, you wont break it.

Flying style may also be a factor. With a heavy model it wont accelerate that quickly so if you are tight on your turns etc it will feel like its dragging its backside around with no real go. See what happens if you make really smooth/sweeping turns sacrificing height for speed and then turning speed into height to repeat the process. You will find that momentum is your friend and its a good thing to practice as the big Hurricane will need to be flown this way as well.

I also agree with Richards comment about the hot weather. My nieuport is like a pig on a skateboard when its really hot. It likes air so thick you can chew it!

@Bob - the 100 I'm using is not the one I got off you, it's a new one so the plan was to run it with the smaller prop to rev the nuts off it whilst running in. I'm planning on the 15x8 for aeros but will go through the 14x8, 15x6 first to see what happens. I also have a 16x6 to try out as I don't need speed but do want grunt.

Cheers for replies chaps . Yes it certainly was really hot and noticeably thinner air as I really struggled climbing on takeoff until the gear was up. It was certainly tougher than the maiden flight in cooler weather. The flappy slack rudder did have a slowing effect too as I believe the balancer section on the front was catching the air causing it to weave laterally. I will soon fix the rudder. It was the engines second time in the air and it was tuned for max rpm . I think the big spinner as well as alm the weight and drag from the rudder was just too much. I have noticed the laser 100 is the same length as the 80 and it looks like similar exhaust dimensions, so all I will need is a bit wider engine mount and possibly a bit of cowl cutting. I can’t really loose weight unless I used lighter retracts so I think when available I will squeeze a 100 in 😉

Edited By Tim Harris 1 on 09/07/2018 11:27:42

Tim, I have a 'spare' 100 which you are more than welcome to borrow to give it a try in your LA-7 if you want to. When I swapped my 80 in the U CanDo for my other 100 all I did was to use another adjustable engine mount, no other changes were necessary.

After having a really good chat with Jon he explained further that it might be better to give it another go rather than use the “cheque book approach” and buy another engine . He suggested doing that and winding up the speed during flying. There is certainly more power available in future in the 80 than I currently have and with the rudder fixed I should get much more speed. I will also experiment with props. Once run in I would normally increase pitch anyway. On my Spitfire I use a 14x7 on my Laser 80 so I might try that and a 15x6.

• 7 months later...

. Hi all . This thread has gone a bit cold after my last post but I thought it worth ressurecting after flying my LA7 today. I fixed the rudder linkage which I had previously miss -fitted and had caused constantly flapping rudder. Today we had a slight but very light crosswind but I was keen to give it a test. Jon at Laser had advised me to stick with the Laser 80 and not replace it with a 100 despite the 10.4 lbs. Anyway Jon was spot on. The La 7 was great today it flew beautifully and was very graceful in the air and would loop and roll easily . It was quite easy to fly and steady . Unfortunately it nosed over on landing on our soft rough grass and I cracked the rudder so couldn’t do a second flight. I look forward to flying it later in better conditions . The laser 80 is perfect in it 😊

My build stalled last year when I sold off all my IC models. I have plans to convert it to electric, which means cutting the top deck off again to refit as a hatch and fitting a battery tray. Just as well that I'd got no further than covering it! I have an SK3 5055 430kv motor and 100A esc ready to go in it, that should be good for about 1400W turning a 15*10 or so propsurprise. From last November up to a couple of weeks ago I did next to no building but I did manage the decorating and re-carpetting of two bedrooms and the stairs. I've rebooted by finishing off a Graupner Bf-108 Taifun ARTF which also stalled at the end of last year.

Good to hear from you on this Bob . Sounds like you have been busier than me . Carpeting stairs sounds much harder work than covering planes😊. I think your power set up will be certainly more than enough. I just had to get the LA7 in the air as after all the work I didn’t want it to be a “hangar queen” . I’m pleased I did as it’s a joy to fly. I just need a bit more wind and harder ground for a smoother landing .