Who Else Wants a 63" Lavochkin La7 kit?

jrman

Another 3D print, the air intake duct mouths for the root LE.

la-7 intake.jpg

The dash. I printed off the panel, stuck it to the back of the 3D printed dash then copied Danny Fenton's idea of lazing the dials but I used white Gorilla Glue instead of epoxy, it dries quickly and is clear. I then touched it up with some silver paint and other colours for sliders and switches.

fullsizeoutput_14ef.jpeg

In where it belongs

fullsizeoutput_14f0.jpeg

And the intake ducts

fullsizeoutput_14f1.jpeg

Oh yes and some topcoat

fullsizeoutput_14f2.jpeg

I had another job to to do today, oil the oak framed garden room, the wife had volunteered to do the gates. However having washed them down I decided to score more Brownie points and offered to do those as well ching, ching, those points have been banked but must remember they have a short life span!)

So going back to yesterday, I was able to apply the topcoats off cammo to both the wings and fuse. Now my whole intent is to get the LA-7 looking tired and dirty and not like it's just come off the production line and boy have I found that hard to do, I don't want sharp lines between the different paint and I want some 'grinning through' to happen. So I played around with the rattle cans, spraying from different heights and angles and what with that and rubbing back I think I have got somewhere near where I want as a base for weathering. So here are some shots of where I am at the moment.

The canopy has had some weathering details added (or rubbed off)

fullsizeoutput_14f3.jpeg

Then whilst waiting for the paint to dry I tackled the gun troughs in the cowl. I cut out the holes using the Dremel with drum sander then attached 2 balsa blocks with Gorilla Glue.

fullsizeoutput_14f4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_14f5.jpeg

The blocks will be cut down later.

Next I channeled out the balsa with the Dremel and lined them with litho plate worked into shape.

fullsizeoutput_14fa.jpeg

Finally I used aluminium tape to form the panel.

fullsizeoutput_14fb.jpeg

Back to the detailing now that they paint had dried, the pictures speak for themsleves

fullsizeoutput_14f8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_14f6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_14f7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_14f9.jpeg

And I just had to try out the cowl

fullsizeoutput_14fc.jpeg

To be continued

Fascinating to watch how you are enhancing an already excellent kit (I also have one) with creative flair thumbs up

Regarding the primer on the film, did you use one for plastic or std acrylic, and did I miss the make of top coat colour you are using? - thanks.

Truly is a brilliant kit which you can either build very quickly or, as I have, spend far too much time fannying about with details that you never planned on doing, and it’s getting worse!

Paint on lam film is, IMO, all about the surface prep and keying it ready for paint. I use a very fine (flour grade) sandpaper, not coarse enough to show scratches but rather a mat look (yes I know it’s still scratches). Then I use an acrylic primer and on this model I’ve used Halfords but also have tried out this one mainly because I needed some more and wanted it delivered, which went on just as well as Halfords. For the top coat I decided that rather than use my spray equipment (air brush, mini spray gun etc) I would use rattle cans and tried these out which was a first for me. I must say that I’ve been very impressed with the Mtn 94 and will be using it again and will also try it out on some foamies as it appears to be quite flexible.

Thanks Adrian but it really is not that difficult to make it look like a scale model, it won't win any prizes but it was never intended to. The main thing is that it's has / is great fun and the kit just gives so much room to experiment with doing things a different or new way. Let's face it, I only got the 3D printer at the beginning of the year and hadn't got a clue how to use it or do designs, now if I need a tricky part (gun sight) I print one off and that has added to my fun of building.

I keep telling myself that’s it but I always seem to find other little bits to do, which don’t really need doing!

Anyway I should have said in my post above a big thanks to (Warbirds) Richard for producing the pilot bust, great detail which made for easy painting.

Its a great build thread Ron . The little extras you are putting in a very interesting and definitely add value to the final result . I like the war weary look too . Those that are watching might find this book from the Osprey series interesting.The book is cheap at around £13 . But fascinating . It seems that the FW190 tactics that were a real nuisance was to use their low level speed to nip into an area , drop a bomb and shoot up the ground forces. Since the La 5 was roughly of the same performance , by the time they were up and in the chase ,there was little chance of gaining any ground on them .

But when the "rally car " La7 arrived with everything stripped to the minimum and aerodynamically cleaned up it could catch up with an FW190 raider in a relatively short time . So the Russian approach was station small units of La7 chasers all over the front .

Its interesting how the Russians designed their equipment for specific jobs , where as the Germans seemed to design by committee , and ended up with multi role "jack of all trade " products .

The Tiger tank and the T34 are similar examples of the above .

la7vfw190.jpg

Well I've just done the radio mast and decided to do the cowl exhaust flaps in 'out' mode (just like Tim did). But I'm not going to do the U/C inner doors, although they look like an easy to do job, especially as the full size used its wheels to close the doors!

Bot of a stupid moment, I made the radio mast removable with a bullet connector male in it and a female one in the fuse, trouble is that the fuse is veneer on foam so no 'meat' behind it (should have glued in a balsa block 2 years ago!). Never mind methinks, I can add a bit of a base to the mast but have that attached to the fuse, so did that and stuck it on with cyano, trouble was that I had plugged the mast in to aid positioning the base and forgot to put some vaseline on the male end, result, mast is now a permanent attachment.

On amore positive note, I found a 4" spinner which, whilst not quite the right shape, doesn't look too bad so will prep that and paint it but used its backplate to mark out the cut line on the cowl. That is now all opened up and is currently waiting for the primer to dry.

Ordered the low bounce wheels from Model Shop Leeds just before lunchtime, received an email from Martin to say that they have been despatched - excellent service!

Excellent job Ron , it’s going to be a real beauty! I must admit If had inspired me to revisit my La 7 and try to get the weight down to improve it’s flying. I might remove the flaps which will take a fair bit off. I will have to do it soon though as I have a DB Spitfire Mk1 kit on the way to me which will be my next build project 😊.

Thanks Tim, glad you put a note here as I have a question or 2 for you! What size spinner did you use in the end, what size wheels did you fit and remind me, what is the weight of yours? (I haven't put mine on the scales yet!!!!!)

Good to see that you're getting the Spit kit, make sure you do a build thread for it!

Fitted the cooling 'gills' to the cowl

fullsizeoutput_1506.jpeg

And went back to the radio mast, chopped it out and glued in a dowel mounting base, a lot better now!

fullsizeoutput_1507.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1509.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1508.jpeg

Then it was out with the yellow paint for the spinner and cowl ring, followed by the 2 aluminium (tape) cowl bands and the machine gun barrels.

fullsizeoutput_150a.jpeg

So with all but a bit of yellow on the tail, the main painting is done (weathering to come!!!) so it was time to assemble it to see what it looks like.

fullsizeoutput_150b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_150c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_150d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1511.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_150e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_150f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1510.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1512.jpeg

So yellow flash on tail to do, transfers to print and apply, U/C doors (3D printed) to fit then a black / grey 'dirt' wash and weathering details. Oh yes, rain gear and control linkages.

I took the opportunity to weigh it, 2.8Kg. I need to factor in the above bits including the flight battery but not looking too bad. I also checked the CofG and with the flight battery located behind the engine bulkhead I should be able to get away without and added nose weight.