Blackhorse Heinkel He 111

Thanks all for the comments,

Really cross with myself for such stupidity but there we go its all part of the hobby!

Had another look this morning and I think its scrap! All the glazing has gone which could be bought as spares but the price is not cheap!

Fuselage bulkhead pulled out but is in one piece so could possibly go back in.

Both nacelles smashed and U/C mountings pulled out. One wing also has a large split along the leading edge and several cracks in the top surface.

I can get new wings and plastic nacelles and glazing but the cost would be more than I paid for the model and nearly the price of what it is going for now ( about £ 399 in most shops )

I will put it in the naughty corner for a couple of months then have another look when its not so raw!

Advert

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad you decided to put her back together Cliff. You will probably end up with a more robust model after your repairs - every cloud and all that.

Mine is still sat in the box waiting for me to finish the extension on the house we have been building. Hopefully this will be 'completed' (does one ever finish a house?) before Christmas so I can get on with my BH Heinkel and the Mass build Grumpy Tigercub.

Oh well back to curtain poles and painting then.

Best

Trevor,

The front glasshouse is smashed into tiny bits but fortunately is listed as a spare part on the Ripmax site so hopefully available and cost is about £40 which is enough, but with luck will be all I need to buy!

Otherwise the cost soon exceeds the cost of a new model!

IE cowls £59 each and they are handed, so I would need 2

Wing set £200! I only would need port one if I don't repair but they only come as a set!

Glasshouse £39.

Cliff, all the best with the rebuild and please keep us all posted on progress as its always interesting to see how the various problems are tackled.

PS
I have a BH Mossie that taught me a lesson in high drag with three blade props and full flap from about 15 ft. Unfortunately no spares are available so I am going to get creative and if it flies again I'll share the rebuild!

As a temporary (economy) nose glazing to let you try out the rebuilt model, could you use a clear plastic drinks bottle top section? Cut of the screw top and blank it off. OK, not scale top would let you test at a low cost.

You could of course carve a mould and form your own - cheap but time consuming.

If there was enough of the old nose section to glue it back up you could make a plaster of paris plug from it and mould a new canopy over that?

Edited By David Ovenden on 11/12/2017 09:07:41

On examination the damage to the fuselage is not as bad as first thought. This former in front of the battery hatch was split right across and the top half came away. but it was a clean break and in one piece so easy to re glue back in. The small cracks visible in the corners will be covered by the back of the cockpit roof when re attached so not visible anyway.

wp_20171210_21_16_08_pro.jpg

Chris, I'd be interested in your Mossie rebuild, as I've got one. Haven't demolished it yet, but you never know.

It's a shame that these models are discontinued, and Black Horse and Seagull seem to be concentrating on huge petrol powered things. In the crowded and noise sensitive south east where I live, you'd have a job finding a site where you could fly them.