Steve Carr's 65% scale Fokker DR.I Triplane

It made it's first public appearance at LMA East Kirkby on 29th April and has to be said it was worth the wait. Flown with great skill in less than ideal conditions but Steve likes to put on a show for the crowd.

It has a wingspan of 4.8 metres. It currently has 4 Multiplex Receivers (1 in each wing and 2 in the tail). Servos are all Hitec 44KG torque (3 per aileron, 2 per elevator, 3 for rudder). Onboard power provided by J.Perkins lithium polymer batteries.

Engine is Steve's own design (crank shaft, crank case. manifolds, exhaust and electronic ignition). Cylinders and pistons are from the 3W275 engine giving 550cc.

Lots of additions and modifications are planned for Steve's DR1 in 2017.

Advert

fantastic from the point of view its been made and then flew....But where do you draw the line between what's a model and what's full-size.the scary thing is this model and similar depend on a radio signal to keep them under control.....and when they go in...they go in big style.hats off to all concerned ......... hope Steve has more luck with this one.....

ken Anderson...ne...1..... model/full size dept.

Posted by Philip Powell 1 on 01/05/2017 08:12:22:

Really what is the point. Get rid of all those receivers and put a pilot in there. It's not what model flying is about.

Phil.

Full marks to the build and engineering.......I'm sure Warwick Davis would fit

Edited By cymaz on 01/05/2017 09:15:46

Each to their own, and they probably do it to push the boundaries and because they can and want to.

I like large models, up to around 40%, beyond that I think they need to be built very scale like to look good. I have seen some models over 50% at shows and I did not like the look of them - they are quite cartoon like. Imho. But I don't feel the need to bash them!

Edited By Rich2 on 01/05/2017 09:26:24

Posted by Rich2 on 01/05/2017 09:19:48:

Each to their own, and they probably do it to push the boundaries and because they can and want to.

I like large models, up to around 40%, beyond that I think they need to be built very scale like to look good. I have seen some models over 50% at shows and I did not like the look of them - they are quite cartoon like. Imho. But I don't feel the need to bash them!

Edited By Rich2 on 01/05/2017 09:26:24

Not bashing them if that's what they want to do then good luck to them as long as they don't hurt anybody. But I don't believe that is what aeromodeling is about.

Phil.

Posted by Matt Jones on 30/04/2017 22:49:39:
Based on his previous models I'll be sure to hide if he displays it at any shows I go to. It's unlikely to end well.

Indeed. Still, at least this time he fitted more than one aileron servo...

I'm with Philip, Rich, Percy and Ken - I'm not sure the world really needs a massively overpowered 65% ARF DR1. If it had been built from scratch, fitted out with lots of scale detail and flown in a realistic style I would be more partial, but clearly from the interview that is not his intent; he wants a WW1 3D machine to "wow" display crowds. He must have supreme confidence in the Chinese factory that put it together to do that; I just hope it does not end in tears.

Edited By MattyB on 02/05/2017 08:43:15

whilst not my cup of tea, I do appreciate the endeavour and efforts of the guy... fair play. It is people with this attitude which often develop things which we all benefit from.. BUT.. why the shows are full of this type of stuff, inter scattered with jets prowling up and down is beyond me, as I am not wow'ed... there are lots of variety out there which I feel would benefit with being mixed in with the giants like this..IMO

could anyone who is a LMA member tell me how they inspect a model like steve's...... on another thread it was mentioned that the large models have to be inspected as they are been built?how does that apply to a model like this which is an ARTF...... we sometimes hear that the smaller ARTF models can leave a lot to be desired under the coverings ......only curious and not trying to say there is anything wrong with SC'S model ...

ken Anderson...ne...1....enquiry dept..

Posted by ken anderson. on 02/05/2017 09:39:41:

....only curious and not trying to say there is anything wrong with SC'S model ...

Well I find that shiny solarfilm-like finish most offensive!

I would be impressed if it was his own build and flown in the manner of a WW! bipe, otherwise why not just build a bigger Wot-4?

well done tom....I started off with a ME Heron 1cc diesel...then went on to the big stuff... K and B Torpedo/3.5cc no silencer...used to put the fear of god in me....... the massive red glow from the exhaust .... I used to have a Honda moped with a 50cc Engine in it...... smiley

ken Anderson...ne...1..... how I started dept.

Posted by ken anderson. on 02/05/2017 09:39:41:

could anyone who is a LMA member tell me how they inspect a model like steve's...... on another thread it was mentioned that the large models have to be inspected as they are been built?how does that apply to a model like this which is an ARTF...... we sometimes hear that the smaller ARTF models can leave a lot to be desired under the coverings ......only curious and not trying to say there is anything wrong with SC'S model ...

There is a lot that goes into an over 20kg aeroplane....A little homework reading if anyone wants to coollaugh