Whatever Happened To....

I am sure others like me have fond memories of some more and manufacturers that are no more. For me there are a few that inspired or were key to my early years...

As a young boy in the mid 70's my dad started off flying with a Truline Custom Executive, a 4 channel trainer. I liked it so much I pestered my dad to build one for me. I shall have to load a pic at some point. It was towards the late 70's that the manufacturer disappeared and I still wonder what happened to them.

Another model I loved as soon as I saw it was the Ripmax Aviette Moonshiner a lovely 40 size aerobatic hope which I ended up getting as a present on completing my O levels and still have today.

Then there was the Keil Kraft SE5a which really looked good and the Veron Avro 504K.

There must be loads of others too.

Advert

One other model that was a massive influence on me was the MFA Hummingbird. I think that and the Magicfly were key to helping kick start electric flight in the UK. The Hummingbird certainly was for me. The performance was far from impressive but flight was possible, and when I look at the electric models i have and have had they all lead back to that Hummingbird of the early 80's.

One other model that was a massive influence on me was the MFA Hummingbird. I think that and the Magicfly were key to helping kick start electric flight in the UK. The Hummingbird certainly was for me. The performance was far from impressive but flight was possible, and when I look at the electric models i have and have had they all lead back to that Hummingbird of the early 80's.

Yes fond memory's of the Trueline Executives. My first RC model was a Senior Executive built from the plan but with second hand wings. I then went onto the Custom executive. Another good looking advanced trainer was the Trueline Corsair. My first I totalled on its first day but I bought a second hand one that gave good service. Another fine model in the range was the Trueline Tiger flew well and had a jet like appearance I had one or two of those They also did some nice scale models.. Trueline models disappeared off the map quite early and sadly no one took over the designs. Someone on this thread mentioned the Skyways Hawk. The good news is you can still get them. Check them out at Masons Models web site. Never had one but did have a Hawk Moth and two Stampes, one of which I am still flying I also had the Spitfire back when they were still called Unique Models.

Yes, my first RC model was a Trueline Senior Executive with an OS25. Then another with an Enya 35. Then another with an HP40F (went like the proverbial). Contemporaries and similar were the Jolly Roger range of kits (I had a Jolly Roger GT). In the meantime, I had a Kamco Kavalier as my first low winger, again with a trusty HP40F. Followed by the (then) Unique Models Hawk 70, converted slightly and painted to resemble a Magister with an HP61F. Great memories......

From memory, the Trueline Executive Senior plan also showed the Custom Executive side view, together with the root section of the latter, but not the tip section which was different (but that cant be too difficult to "guesstimate"

Edited By maurice northcott on 29/06/2017 08:45:08

Posted by Nightflyer 2013 on 28/06/2017 22:00:13:

MFA Hummingbird kick start UK electric flying?? more like kick it in the head IIRClaughwink

Guaranteed success with the Balsa Cabin's Sonata 'E' though.

Edited By Cuban8 on 29/06/2017 09:48:30

Yes Maurice I believe the plan showed both. ( the senior having a flat bottomed wing and the Custom a bit symmetrical. I don't seem to have the plan any more for either. I did find the plan for the corsair and the tiger. Both nice looking models. I sold my old Tiger that had been flown to death and fuel soaked for a very good price. The guy who bought converted it to a plug to make a glass fibre mold with a plan to making kits. Not sure he was not on sticky ground there copyright etc. The deal was as well as the price paid and the plan returned I was to get one of the kits from the first "litter". Alas the kits were never made. At least I got enough money for my clapped out old model to buy a kit of a different model

Posted by gangster on 29/06/2017 10:26:23:

... the senior having a flat bottomed wing and the Custom a bit symmetrical.

Correct, the Custom was what I call semi-symmetrical, but it also had tapers on the L/E & T/E in plan view.... In fact a number of years ago I made a sport model based on the Custom but increased overall dimensions by 10% - reduced the thickness of the wing (for a bit more speed) and was fitted with flaps as well as enlarged ailerons and elevators. Powered by Irvine 53. Many in the Club liked it because it was attractive and also performed well.

Edited By maurice northcott on 29/06/2017 11:12:11

Posted by gangster on 29/06/2017 10:26:23:

Yes Maurice I believe the plan showed both. ( the senior having a flat bottomed wing and the Custom a bit symmetrical. I don't seem to have the plan any more for either. I did find the plan for the corsair and the tiger. Both nice looking models. I sold my old Tiger that had been flown to death and fuel soaked for a very good price. The guy who bought converted it to a plug to make a glass fibre mold with a plan to making kits. Not sure he was not on sticky ground there copyright etc. The deal was as well as the price paid and the plan returned I was to get one of the kits from the first "litter". Alas the kits were never made. At least I got enough money for my clapped out old model to buy a kit of a different model

Ah yes your mention of the Corsair and Tiger models now remind me of them. I am not sure where Trueline were located but they did do a nice model range from my recollection of a few designs. If an 11 yo lad at the time can build one they were not too hard to build and looked good. My fathers Custom was Enya 40 powered with Futaba M series rc and mine was a Merco 35 (though I never did have good engine reliable running even with changing the Carburettor) with Skyleader Clubman (not the Super) rc. I reckon the Custom would make quite a reasonable electric model.

As a change of manufacturer how about EMP (Edmonds Model Products), my father built the Easy Rider which both he and myself flew. This model looked and flew nicely with Enya 40 power and had some years flying until the plastic fuselage failed around the former in front of the wing leading edge. It was a sad end to the model but the plastic obviously had become fatigued either through flying stresses or sunlight as I am not sure whether the plastic was uv stabilised but it did survive from about 78 until 1986 without any crashes.

Mind you one model I always wanted from Micro Mold was the Spitfire Mk24/Seafire Mk47. I never got hold of one though one of the guys got hold of a kit from a show second hand in the late 90's and it looked and flew beautifully.

Edited By Nightflyer 2013 on 29/06/2017 13:11:42

Just going through my plans collection and found the 'Trueline Corsair' - fond memories of a superb flier.

It was so good, mine flew out of sight thanks to the effect of high powered 27Mhz CB rigs of the time and their interference with my Futaba 'M' radio!

Does anyone have a copy of the model magazine adverts for the 'Corsair'? If memory serves me correctly, it was always a black & white line illustration, (i.e. not an actual photo of the model). What span was the 'Corsair'? (None shown on the plan, so I guess approx. 52"???). Otherwise, there's enough detail on the Trueline plan to extrapolate and build a replica. Here's hoping someone can help, thanks. CK.

• 9 months later...
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 28/06/2017 11:08:58:

A Custom Executive was the plane that was my first real, reliable, success. I've searched for a plan several times with no success.

I still have ,and occasionally fly, my 1980 Veron Strutter with it's original nylon covering.

Surprise, surprise - a Custom Executive has turned up on E-bay. Nothing like a nostalgic build to brighten a lousy spring is there? Now all I have to do is keep throwing cash at E-bay to make sure I win. I wonder if I've still got my old Merco 35 that powered my original, then a set of FD16s just to complete that full '70s experience.

This could be very good or very bad indecision

As having missed the "Good ol' Days", or so to speak, looking at the kits now(at Swap-meets, etc), I think, "what a load of rubbish". Of course I don't know why someone would want to buy one now, considering what came after or since, but horses for courses...

Some were better than others, some kits I saw were of poor quality wood (allowing some for age), die crushed parts (if you're lucky, ) then badly printed parts, where the kit or radio costed a year's wage...

I think, looking back, we've never had it so good...

Edited By Paul Marsh on 31/03/2018 12:29:19

As I said Paul, it's pure nostalgia. Having said that - I've been building models since the late '60s and while there were some real dogs sold back then there are some real dogs sold now too. Yes, laser cutting is generally better than die-cutting, but wood selection and design integrity is just as bad now as it ever was. Laser cutting liteply does allow super-light structures but how resilient and repairable are they?