Traplet

Tony Bennett

Advert

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 21/07/2017 09:58:55:

I couldn't find anything referring to them being in receivership, is the closure of the shop a cost-cutting exercise? If they were under administration I'd have thought there would be some indication somewhere.

It takes a while for announcments to appear in companies house

Posted by Guvnor on 21/07/2017 08:43:31:
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 21/07/2017 01:10:35:

The sudden appearance of RCMW many years ago in an already overcrowded market signalled the end of Radio Modeller which was my favourite magazine. So perhaps it's poetic justice.

What a truly awful thing to say. Several people have lost their jobs, and you think it's 'justice'...?

Perhaps Radio Modeller folded because it was simply a poor magazine...

I used to buy Radio Modeller regularly in the 1970s and right up to its eventual demise. Personally, I though it was the best of the bunch for...............Radio Modelling.

If you wanted loads of adverts then RCM&E was the one to refer to (no websites back then, so essential for keeping up with what was new, best deals etc) but for a more thorough read without so many ads, then I preferred RM. Maybe the much smaller advertising revenue killed it off, it certainly wasn't the quality of the mag itself, as you will see if you can get hold of an old copy.

We should correct any errors here so they don't get accepted as facts-

My recollection is that......

Wings and Wheels (North Weald ) was run by Ken Mainstone before Traplet ( I well remember Ken asking our club to lend the clubs PA gear for it. We lent the gear but unfortunately the club didn't ask for free tickets for members- we still had to pay to get in!)

Radio Modeller did not " fold" it was already owned by the same organistaion as RCME and eventually merged into RCME. And RM was not a " poor magazine" in my view ( and i still have a large collection to verufy this! ) The fact is it varied a bit over the years and really peaked under David Boddingtons editorship which didn't last long because he then went on to RCME . Alec Gee then continued at RM with the free plan every month which made RM a very good buy.

( just my view and it's perhaps relevant here is that " Boddo " was such a brilliant editor because he was visible at all the shows and therefore in touch with grass roots modellers. Somehow he seemed to get articles of great technical interest from unknown writers which were much more worthwhile than the same old columnists " last weekend i went to ----- and i must thank ----- " stuff we were- and are -used to! David B made his magazine worth buying because he published articles on really useful subjects from these previously unknown writers and this improved RM, then RCME, RCScale, AMI, MF, Flying Scale in turn. I wonder if other forum members agree with me on this? )

Posted by Cuban8 on 21/07/2017 08:19:14:
Posted by PatMc on 20/07/2017 17:21:46:
Posted by Phil 9 on 20/07/2017 15:45:56:

The exponential growth in ARTF/PNP market together with the practice of "free" plans with each magazine & the ease of making copies by individuals must have caused the value of a plans archive, as a company asset, to plummet.

I'm not convinced that 'free plans' have a negative effect on building designs from Brian Taylor, Dennis Bryant etc.

We're not comparing like with like; a freebie plan than can usually be put together in short order with minimum detail and cost, to an intricate scale machine that requires research both in terms of construction and finish, and could easily take a couple of years and hundreds of pounds to complete.

Free plans are the perfect introduction to building one's own model from bare balsa (even easier with laser cut ply parts and ribs) and in my own case encouraged me to progress to more complex kits and plans.

I meet and talk to plenty of flyers, both newcomers and 'old hands' who see the efforts of 'builders' and aspire themselves to constructing their own scale Spitfire, Hurricane, Mustang etc pretty much from scratch.

ARTFs, foamies and drones have been and still are a distraction (and I've been distracted along with many others) from the fundamental bedrock of our hobby/sport/ pastime; they can exist quite happily alongside what many of us see as 'Aeromodelling' in all its variations, providing they are not viewed as the answer to everything and we continue to encourage the model engineering side of our hobby. What is there to lose?

Edited By Cuban8 on 21/07/2017 08:25:41

I think that you've completely missed my point.

I'm saying that the value of the plans archive as a whole is a less valuable asset because of the increased alternatives that are available for anyone wishing to fly a model whether they want to make it from scratch or buy it as a PNP.
For nearly 20 years RCM&E haven't had regular articles featuring models with the plans only available to be purchased seperately from the magazine. I don't think there has been a hard print catalogue of plans published since 2000. This would suggest that the magazine owners don't consider that the plans generate a significant income.

Edited By PatMc on 21/07/2017 11:07:18

Posted by kc on 21/07/2017 10:54:18:

( just my view and it's perhaps relevant here is that " Boddo " was such a brilliant editor because he was visible at all the shows and therefore in touch with grass roots modellers. Somehow he seemed to get articles of great technical interest from unknown writers which were much more worthwhile than the same old columnists " last weekend i went to ----- and i must thank ----- " stuff we were- and are -used to! David B made his magazine worth buying because he published articles on really useful subjects from these previously unknown writers and this improved RM, then RCME, RCScale, AMI, MF, Flying Scale in turn. I wonder if other forum members agree with me on this? )

Yes, with you 100% on that - and with the greatest respect to the current publishers of modelling mags , who really are trying to sweep water up hill at the moment, is the reason why I and so many of my club mates no longer buy magazines. A vicious circle really, and sadly one that is winding down and down and will end up doing none of us any good in the end.

Edited By Cuban8 on 21/07/2017 11:40:04

I know it's extravagant, but I subscribe to RCME and RCMW. In my opinion they are both excellent and well edited right now. They have the tricky task of trying to produce something of interest to a range of regular readers as well as attempting to identify trends and appeal to potential new audiences. It's not in our interests at all for them to fail and we should support them as far as we can in return for our expectations on content. There's lots of aspects to flying models that don't interest me directly, e,g, helicopters and quads, but I still read about them because I like to be broadly informed about anything that is connected to my main interest. Also I accept that my own views can change over time, although my core interests have never altered.

News like this is the thin end of the wedge for us, I'm still hoping that something good will come out of it.

No you haven't returned at the wrong time John - it's probably the best time ever in aeromodelling! It's only in "huge decline" in the retail shop aspect, the hobby is still strong and equipment is reliable yet cheap. Hardly any local model shops but everything is available online. Not too much trouble getting into a club or getting 'pegtime' ( actual pegs are hardly used!) and you can buy ARTF or build your own.

Edited By kc on 21/07/2017 12:35:19

Hi Kc

Dave Boddington was so enthusiastic when I met him and produced so many of his own designs to support the magazines for which he was editor, coupled with his fullsize aviation connections and experience made him a true legend. The only other parallel in output would be Vic Smeed.

Regards Ray

I would have thought that some sort of public announcement from traplet would have been forthcoming by now. Surely speculation on their trading status does their company value no favours.

I made a phone call to traplet Australia this morning and let's just say the person I spoke to was somewhat less than polite and rather vague in answering my queries regarding my order status and their trading position. He advised me my plans could be delivered to me but as they were not in stock it would take at least 2 months for delivery. He was also rather upset that I had placed a query with PayPal. He didn't seem to appreciate that I was merely protecting my investment and besides nearly 3 months from the date of me placing the order until "maybe" receiving the paper plans I ordered seems unusual and not really acceptable in this digital age.

It saddens me for the sake of our hobby that this company is having difficulties at this time but, I think some clarity from their perspective would be beneficial if indeed they are to resume trading in some form.

Posted by kc on 21/07/2017 12:24:41:

No you haven't returned at the wrong time John - it's probably the best time ever in aeromodelling! It's only in "huge decline" in the retail shop aspect, the hobby is still strong and equipment is reliable yet cheap. Hardly any local model shops but everything is available online. Not too much trouble getting into a club or getting 'pegtime' ( actual pegs are hardly used!) and you can buy ARTF or build your own.

Edited By kc on 21/07/2017 12:35:19

True enough kc. It;s just that there appear to be are many fewer kits available - I do prefer building to buying ARTF,. though I have succumbed. Mind you, I have a few kits 'in stock' to complete, including a Flair Puppeteer and a 'Complete-a-Pac' Swordfish.

Tipsy Pilot. if you are keen to get the Red Eagle plan then look for a copy of RCME for July 2014 ( which had this as a free plan ) from someone in your locality. This free plan is probably around somewhere in someones collection of old RCME's.even though it is out of stock at the Magazine Exchange right now, ( Note I said RCME not RCMW as it was not Traplet's plan then )

Interesting that RCME's back number dept seem to have been part of MyHobbyStores and therefore Traplet at the moment. I wonder what happens now if anyone wants a paper copy of an RCME back number? I also wonder what will happen to the Galaxy models range which seemed to be available from MyHobbyStores and therefore Traplet recently.

Edited By kc on 21/07/2017 16:01:38

Myself and a club mate ordered plans and cnc woodpacks on Sunday at cosford paying about £400 in cash ! More than a little miffed to say the least #%&@*" . someone from traplet needs to make a statement as to the state of things

Posted by kc on 21/07/2017 10:54:18:

We should correct any errors here so they don't get accepted as facts-

My recollection is that......

Wings and Wheels (North Weald ) was run by Ken Mainstone before Traplet ( I well remember Ken asking our club to lend the clubs PA gear for it. We lent the gear but unfortunately the club didn't ask for free tickets for members- we still had to pay to get in!)

Radio Modeller did not " fold" it was already owned by the same organistaion as RCME and eventually merged into RCME. And RM was not a " poor magazine" in my view ( and i still have a large collection to verufy this! ) The fact is it varied a bit over the years and really peaked under David Boddingtons editorship which didn't last long because he then went on to RCME . Alec Gee then continued at RM with the free plan every month which made RM a very good buy.

Yes KC re Wings and Wheels was started in the first place with Ken Mainstone, John 'Woody' Woodley and Steve Rose IIRC and was born due to the North Weald consortium consisting of 5 local clubs (I think!) being asked to display models in the lunchtime break in the flying display of the full size Fighter Meet, well that was my recollection anyway, Woody and Ken were members of the Anglia MFC as was I. Happy days!

Posted by Tipsy Pilot on 21/07/2017 19:00:11:

Thanks KC. Yep, that's exactly my plan. It's out of stock on the back issues so hopefully I can find someone who is prepared to part with their copy.

I was going to build Ton,s red eagle but have heavily committed myself with other builds so if you would like the mag and plan by all means pm me with your address

Martian