Is it a record

Martin Dance 1

Advert

It's hard to understand such heavy-handed moderation of a thread that was only discussing moderation, but them's who pays the bills have the right to run the shop however they want. I don't neccessarily agree with the stringent moderation but you have a choice - live with it or look eleswhere. The description of the 'friendly' site is subject to certain definitions of the word 'friendly' cheeky.

There is a site with a similar name to 'our' mag that is a bit more liberal, but people have gotten very upset there in the past...

edit - Andy spelled out the other site for me!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 28/07/2017 10:40:34

John

im sure im on thin ice here but - if you were one of the ones that had lost money then you would be looking for info on what is happening and for a public forum to decide to censor info does not seem right. look back at the horizon hobbies issues there was no censorship there (or the HK website carry on)

Posted by og on 28/07/2017 11:14:24:

John

im sure im on thin ice here but - if you were one of the ones that had lost money then you would be looking for info on what is happening and for a public forum to decide to censor info does not seem right. look back at the horizon hobbies issues there was no censorship there (or the HK website carry on)

I'm sorry for ALL involved OG, never saw info censored, just speculation.

and I think I and others were trying to keep it that way.

Naturally, everyone will be upset about the Traplet situation and I appreciate the concerns of those employed there. It's a situation I've been through twice and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

But the point here is that the Traplet situation was merely being used as an example of over-moderation. A problem I've also had in the past on other, unrelated subjects.

At present, I've been quoted the 'Code of Conduct' which, effectivly says whatever moderators decide goes. No room for debate, no room for public discussion. I'm not convinced that's a good policy to enforce so rigorously.

I agree with john stones 1 the mods have a hard job and do it well. I was a mod on a site not related to r/c for a number of years and we had set rules that we had to act on and guide lines that we could use our desecration on. A few times I had to upset people I had become very friendly with and sometimes it was something I agreed with but was against the rules.

Ray

Posted by og on 28/07/2017 11:14:24:

John

im sure im on thin ice here but - if you were one of the ones that had lost money then you would be looking for info on what is happening and for a public forum to decide to censor info does not seem right.

Regardless of whether you had mentioned Traplet in your opening post, og, it seems you may have an interest in airing the matter by your quote above. Whether you are a customer or just raising the issue on behalf of others, I do not know. Anyone employed by them or a customer having possibly lost money deserves our sympathy, of course.

Until an official announcement is made, any comment must be considered as pure speculation and it has been decided that, as an extension of RCM&E (as this forum is), speculation could be considered unhelpful and inappropropriate. I'm also sure the bosses of RCM&E wish to be sensitive towards a competitor's situation.

Let's wait and see what pans out, eh?

Pete

Re the subject of 'over-moderation', which indeed surfaces from time to time, please be assured we will be discussing this when we're not quite so thin on the ground as at present and we'll try and clarify the level of modding with you.

I would remind you again, that 'public' though this forum is, it is also a commercial forum and that can influence some of the decisions made by the moderators. This may not always be apparent to contributors

By and large, given the difficulties of trying to keep everyone happy, I don't think we do too bad a job - but then, I'm biased, I suppose....smile

Pete

I'm not sure what was said that prompted the locking and removal of threads but clearly any company that appears to have ceased its operations is a bad thing. Obviously there are rival companies in such a competitive market and one would hope that commercial interests will and have not impeded the functioning of any public forum in any sector. As if commercial interests do play a part then many dozens of topics are off limits and should be removed.

I think you guys do a fantastic job. People tend to forget this is a commercial forum tied to a publishing house and that limits what can be published. MHS have to ensure that posts do not damage the reputation of other suppliers or 3rd parties as they (not the forumites) are responsible for content.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 28/07/2017 13:57:57

Just to add some balance here, despite me being one of the contributors on this morning's thread (and still of the opinion of excessive moderation here) I PM'd Pete this morning and to his credit he replied quickly and it was a very thought out, comprehensive and positive reply thumbs up I have confidence that the topic will be discussed by the management team, here's hoping for a change.

As an aside, I bet a friend this morning's thread would be killed by 9, I was only out by 14 minutes laugh

My thread title was intentionally ambiguous as was my opening post. The second post answered the question, so arguably ending the thread.

However many of us, contributors to the forum and the wider model building population are naturally concerned when one of the major players in the business stops trading especially one that appears to hold a large percentage of the plans and part kit asset.

Equally I can see the sensitivity of the owners of this forum who are effectively the other businesses chief rival. Clearly seeming to gloat over a rivals misfortune is not a nice thing, after all, in these uncertain days in publishing you could be next.

I have also been the 'victim' of moderation and put on the naughty step earlier this year when I suggested a post asking about models crashing into houses might just be a malicious posting.

My final point is that what appears to be conspicuous moderation might give rise to a new sport of moderator baiting, it's a blood sport and ultimately there are no winners

Posted by Martin Dance 1 on 28/07/2017 14:07:27:

I have also been the 'victim' of moderation and put on the naughty step earlier this year when I suggested a post asking about models crashing into houses might just be a malicious posting.

thats spooky martin

im still on suspension for airing the same concerns on the same post (different username)

its also why it promted me to post the original post "gagged" as i thought it was too harsh for what i said and perhaps the moderators are too hasty in general

p.s. credit to mod pete for his handling of this whole episode

Edited By og on 28/07/2017 14:25:47

Edited By og on 28/07/2017 14:41:49