Fire Extinguisher Disposal

Broken Prop

Over the years I have accumulated a number of BCF fire extinguishers in the workshop, (mainly because I have never had to use one, thank goodness).

Needless to say that through neglect on my part the powder contents have solidified and I understand that the extinguishers will no longer work even though they may still be fully gassed.

The question is, how can I dispose of them safely? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Pete

Advert

I took an old Halon (wish we could still buy them) fire extinguisher to my local recycling centre and asked how to dispose of it.

"Oh no, we can't take that" I was told. "You'll have to ring the council and arrange for them to deal with it". "There will be a charge though".

"But it's empty" I said, showing them that pulling the trigger had no effect and it had no weight to it. "That doesn't matter, we can't take it".

I took it home, put it in a plastic bag and dropped it off in the "not suitable for recycling" skip the next time I went. Very environmentally friendly!

Pete, do you mean BCF or powder? BCF is a halon, so disposal is very different.

The powder is relatively harmless as it's either ammonium phosphate, which is a fertiliser, or potassium or sodium bicarbonate. If it's the type with a gauge, it's a stored pressure extinguisher so needs to be fired to make it safe; if there's no gauge, it will be a cartridge type which can be opened easily (the head assembly screws off), these usually have a wider neck and will have no sign of a gas fill valve. With the cartridge type, you could tip out the powder into the bin, reassemble the extinguisher and fire it in safety.

Halon is a very tricky substance to deal with owing to ozone depleting chemical regulations.

Alternatively, let the local fire brigade set it off for you!

The fiasco with the extinguisher reminds me of the time when I took a gallon of used motor oil to the dump and duly poured it into the large tank provided to take it. When I asked one of the blokes what I should do with the now empty plastic container, I was told that I couldn't put it with the plastic recyclables as it was contaminated with oil and they couldn't deal with it.

Edited By Cuban8 on 05/10/2017 18:03:07

• 1 month later...

Our tip used to have a bin next to the oil container for the "contaminated" cans last time I went the bin was gone and was told to throw can in the land fill rubbish ! Simmilarly I used to buy my engine oil in 20 liter drums and put the old oil in an empty 20 liter drum to save keep going to the tip . Jobs worth recycling attendant said when half of it was poured "you cant empty that into waste oil thats trade oil " ? The worlds gone mad !!!

Did you find a way to dispose of your old extinguishers?

Hi

I had/ve this problem. I tried the Fire Station and they sent me to the council tip. Council tip said, “No way” so I still have the extinguisher albeit many years old now. Thinking of ‘phoning’ the Council?

This is part of the whole problem that leads to “fly-tipping”.

S